Improving Bladespells

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, the new Arcane Controller Striker, the Bladesinger, has this very nice Controller Striker feature, which provides +DEX to damage as a separate power after an MBA, which is pretty nice.  But, it is a no-damage-roll, no-hit, non-weapon, non-implement power.

Other than admixing cold to a non-cold Bladespell (probably either Lightning Ring for potential double-dip damage or Dazzling Sunray for Radiant Mafiosi)  to make it harder to resist, and make Bladespells other than Frost Bite trigger Lasting Frost's vulnerability, are there any ways to boost this damage?  Preferable reliable ones that can be used all the time, from feats etc.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Someone mentioned the Radiant One ED, adds an extra INT mod of radiant and fire damage with CA.
So, scaling DEX+INT mod.  Might be a point in favour of not using Eldritch Strike - but this does mean you lose out on the White Lotus tree.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Off the top of my head:
- Radiant One - +Int radiant/fire with CA - plays nice with radiant vulnerable
- Lyrandar Windrider - similar wording as Radiant One - add Con mod to damage dealt (doesn't specify damage rolls) with lightning/thunder attacks - Admixture or the lightning bladespell are good - not sure if this requires a hit though
- Lasting Frost - vuln 5 cold - Frost Weapon + Cold bladespell or any other with Admixture cold
- Morninglord - radiant vulnerability

So a Half-Elf Bladesinger/Lyrandar Wind-Rider/Radiant One with Eldritch Strike...CON primary, DEX secondary, INT tertiary, with a morninglord ally...

You can admix cold onto the lighting bladespell and lightning onto the cold, and radiant one adds the radiant and fire...but can we get both lightning AND cold on our MBA?
No, I don't think so.  Not easily anyway.  You'd get Cold from Arcane Admixture, but you can't admix twice.
So a Half-Elf Bladesinger/Lyrandar Wind-Rider/Radiant One with Eldritch Strike...CON primary, DEX secondary, INT tertiary, with a morninglord ally...

You can admix cold onto the lighting bladespell and lightning onto the cold, and radiant one adds the radiant and fire...but can we get both lightning AND cold on our MBA?

Depending on what item rules are in effect (rarity or item daily limitations), you could admixture Eldritch Strike to lightning and then use Frozen Whetstones for the cold damage.  If you're using rarity rules you can't rely on having them, if you're using daily limitations you might not be able to use them every fight.
If you are going Half-Elf to nab Eldritch Strike then you Admixture Cold or Lightning onto it and then use either a Lightning or a Frost weapon.
Unfortunately, the Cold/Lightning Weapon powers replace ALL damage types with theirs.  So using Eldritch Strike with Admixture Cold and then activating a Lightning weapon makes Eldritch Strike deal lightning damage only.
Well you can get radiant from using a crusader weapon or something similar.  Those don't eliminate the original key words.
For fun, MC Warlock, and grab the Pact Weapon feat  - can get your radiant from Star/White Well, or your cold from Fey.  +2 defenses from Icy Skewer and -2 to hit from that bladespell...
The concensus is that MC Warlock does not qualify you for Pact Blade Manifestation.  the MC Warlock feat does not say 'you count as a member of your pact for prequisites'.  It says 'and you can take the Pact-specific paragon path' and nothing else.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

The concensus is that MC Warlock does not qualify you for Pact Blade Manifestation.  the MC Warlock feat does not say 'you count as a member of your pact for prequisites'.  It says 'and you can take the Pact-specific paragon path' and nothing else.

Interesting; I'd been away from the boards for a bit, and missed that concensus making. certainly follows from the text, so i'll buy it myself.
(and, frankly, is a good thing, too)