I love D&D!

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

For my thousandth post, I cannot think of anything better to say than that I am a Dungeons and Dragons loving gooberhead who absolutely and completely loves the game!

I had a blast playing 1E and discovering the hobby with fresh eyes.  Did more gaming under 2E than any other edition, including the most famous of famous campaigns in my circle of buddies.  Enjoyed the dickens out of 3.X despite its crappy grappling rules, belittled monks, and wildcasting T-rex Druids.  Have truly enjoyed a great 4E campaign with a strong story-line.

Like most all roleplayers, I own and have played dozens of systems from all kinds of different genres with all kinds of different rules.  None of them can hold a candle to D&D for inspiring interesting stories and long running campaigns, no other rule set can be quite as fun as rolling a natural 20 on an attack roll when the chips are down and you know you have to kill the monster right now this roll.

I'm a lifelong D&D fan with memories of truly awesome campaigns, expectations of many more awesome campaigns in the future, and who has enjoyed every edition I've played and am hopeful and excited for however the stewardship of the D&D line continues forward whether it be 4E, 5E, or whatever.  Give me a fighter, rogue, cleric, and wizard looking to bash some orc heads in with a d20 and I'm a happy dude.

I'm a lifelong D&D fan with memories of truly awesome campaigns, expectations of many more awesome campaigns in the future, and who has enjoyed every edition I've played and am hopeful and excited for however the stewardship of the D&D line continues forward whether it be 4E, 5E, or whatever.  Give me a fighter, rogue, cleric, and wizard looking to bash some orc heads in with a d20 and I'm a happy dude.

Yeah, I totally agree!

Sure there has been bumps along the way but the awesome moments out way the bad.  I still can not wait to see what they come up with next in that ever expanding shared DnD universe.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
Welcome to the Millenial Club. And what a classy way to do it!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Grats for your Thousand post OleOneEye 

We gonna party like It's ya birthday ...

Great story bro. Like you i have a passion for D&D and share your thoughts and enthusiam for the game !

Your post shine like a Point of Light in 4E's Gloomy Forums ! 
I never realized that D&D was indeed a life-long hobby 'til this newest game came along.  D&D has been re-imagined and for the first time in a very long time, the game feels new and fresh to me (it hasn't always, I've realized).  It's been a blast getting in on the ground floor (again ;)).

I've played all kinds of table-top RPGs over the years, but D&D has been a life-long favorite (nothing else even comes close).  One thing I enjoy following (from edition to edition) is the lore of D&D.  Mechanics change, things come and go, but the story is what makes D&D (as a brand, at least) for me.

My hands are stiff, my knees ache, my back ain't quite right (all of it true ;)), but there ain't nothing wrong with my d20.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.
/\ Art
Congrats on 1000 posts, our cyclopean friend.

I still stand firm that with all of the issues Wizards may or may not be going through, and DDI's shortcomings, that 4E is still the most elegant rendition of D&D to date.  As such, I believe it is also the best rendition of D&D to date.

Celebrate our differences.

I am a Dungeons and Dragons loving gooberhead who absolutely and completely loves the game!

+1 

Let the good times roll.
QFT!
me too
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I HATE D&D! 

those accursed Dungeons and Dragon-ers with their cheerful singing and whimsical fantasy worlds, why if i could grab one of them i would boil them into gold in my magic cauldron! i spit on those three apple tall communists...

no, wait... i'm thinking about Smurfs... i always get the two mixed up.

But yeah, D&D is a pretty cool dude. Eh kills dragons and doesn't afraid of anything.
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2

For my thousandth post, I cannot think of anything better to say than that I am a Dungeons and Dragons loving gooberhead who absolutely and completely loves the game!

I had a blast playing 1E and discovering the hobby with fresh eyes.  Did more gaming under 2E than any other edition, including the most famous of famous campaigns in my circle of buddies.  Enjoyed the dickens out of 3.X despite its crappy grappling rules, belittled monks, and wildcasting T-rex Druids.  Have truly enjoyed a great 4E campaign with a strong story-line.

Like most all roleplayers, I own and have played dozens of systems from all kinds of different genres with all kinds of different rules.  None of them can hold a candle to D&D for inspiring interesting stories and long running campaigns, no other rule set can be quite as fun as rolling a natural 20 on an attack roll when the chips are down and you know you have to kill the monster right now this roll.

My relationship with it is love/hate these days. I've always loved the stories I can tell in the game, the mythology that has developed, and the awesome/evocative array of nasty monsters I can throw at my players. 

Then I do something stupid like try to run a paragon tier game for 6 players that include powergamers or look at the character op forum, and I read about some munchkin character, and I think, "I ****ing hate D&D... Stupid power gamers ruining a perfectly good game with their twinky builds."

So yeah, it's love/hate. 

No other rule set can be quite as fun as rolling a natural 20 on an attack roll when the chips are down and you know you have to kill the monster right now this roll.

My most memorable moments are those "chips are down" moments that, through luck and desperation, you beat all the odds and hence is born the story that will be told for years to come. 

and I think, "I ****ing hate D&D... Stupid power gamers ruining a perfectly good game with their twinky builds."

That's like hating football just because the Patriots play it.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
and I think, "I ****ing hate D&D... Stupid power gamers ruining a perfectly good game with their twinky builds."

I suppose it is, but if the Patriots happen to be a team you say manage, coach or play against, you might see how they could cause you frustration, and maybe make you not want to play anymore. Part of my issue is that I think the system is well suited to the power gaming mentality (just look how busy those character op forums are), and I've noticed that it brings that side of my players out in a way that some other rpgs don't. Unfortunately, that mind set just kills my buzz, and since I gm if my buzz is killed it's game over.

I suppose it is, but if the Patriots happen to be a team you say manage, coach or play against, you might see how they could cause you frustration, and maybe not want to play anymore. I think the system is well suited to the power gaming mentality (just look how busy those character op forums are), and it brings that side of my players out in a way that some other rpgs don't. Unfortunately, that mind set just kills my buzz, and since I gm if my buzz is killed it's game over.

I have noticed in myself and my own group a similar thing, although I wouldn't quite call it power gaming (although we do have a powergamer in our group). With the heavy emphasis on teamwork and the tactical nature of the game, I suppose it's natural for people to try and make their character at the top of their performance for the good of the team. 

I'll shut up about my issues with the game here because this was clearly intended to be a positive and uplifting thread. There is plenty to like about D&D.
I love D&D.  I pretty much love role-playing games of all stripes, but D&D is in my top three - especially 4e.  Havin' a blast with it!
Playing Scales of War

Rogue.jpg

My top RPGs:

1. 4e D&D*

2. TSR's Marvel Super Heroes RPG

3. Any other D&D edition

4. Shadowrun (1e)

5. Paranoia

* I suspect 5e will replace this when it comes out, as every new edition has been my favorite when it was released since I found the game at summer camp in 1978.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
My top RPGs:

1. 4e D&D*

2. TSR's Marvel Super Heroes RPG

3. Any other D&D edition

4. Shadowrun (1e)

5. Paranoia

* I suspect 5e will replace this when it comes out, as every new edition has been my favorite when it was released since I found the game at summer camp in 1978.

Huh, that seems similar to my lineup, save Im not familiar with Paranoia and Iv a feeling Dresden Files will soon leap into the list.
Yea, I love D&D too.
My wife too. (hehe. thats a double hit. I love my wife and my wife also loves D&D)
And a year ago i got my children hooked.
So off to adventure the family goes.
And a year ago i got my children hooked.

My kids are 8 and 5. They are getting close to it. We've done D&D-lite before, but not an actual "group" game. I look forward to indoctrinating them full-time.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
My most memorable moments are those "chips are down" moments that, through luck and desperation, you beat all the odds and hence is born the story that will be told for years to come. 

These are absolutely some of the best moments that can happen.  Like when my mage was out of spells, the rest of the party was down, and his fighter brother got cut in twain by a giant, but with merely a dagger and some lucky 20s I took the giant down.  Or another time when the whole party was writhing in uselessness from a night hag, but the monk with his spectacular saves was able to win the day. 

Ahh....good times, good times. 
Hmm... my top 5

1. D&D 4e

2. Mage: the Ascension

3. Gamma World (any edition)

4. D&D 1e

5. Villains & Vigilantes (solely for nostalgia and the John Dee artwork)

I love D&D!

Roll another time for the Gygax, baby.

Jackonomicon™ It's not always safe for work, but it's great for play. It's my blog, yo.
Sign In to post comments