A Question For The 5E Crowd

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a question for the folks who say 5th Edition is coming, or is going to be announced. Saturday is the day where major announcements are made at GenCon. If 5E is not announced at this year's GenCon, will you finally lay the topic to rest?
The issue will be laid to rest the second 5ed is released. Not a moment sooner, no matter how long it takes. 

Imagine Halley Joel Osmond in A.I. continually asking the statue if it will grant its wish, until an Ice Age freezes them both. Same thing here.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I have a question for the folks who say 5th Edition is coming, or is going to be announced. Saturday is the day where major announcements are made at GenCon. If 5E is not announced at GenCon, will you finally lay the topic to rest?

You may want to word it better.

Unless the world suffers some strange apocalypse, 5e is  coming some day, and will be announced.

Just because it isn't announced now, or coming next year, doesn't mean it isnt coming, and won't be announced eventually.

To think 4e will last forever is just as crazy as thinking 5e is coming next year.
I have a question for the folks who say 5th Edition is coming, or is going to be announced. Saturday is the day where major announcements are made at GenCon. If 5E is not announced at GenCon, will you finally lay the topic to rest?

Unless the world suffers some strange apocalypse, 5e is  coming some day, and will be announced.

Just because it isn't announced now, or coming next year, doesn't mean it isnt coming, and won't be announced eventually.

To think 4e will last forever is just as crazy as thinking 5e is coming next year.

Done. Thanks for the pointer! Smile

So pretty much never.  Which is probably what their answer would be regardless.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
I'm personally looking forward to the cries of betrayal and pain when 5E is finally delivered and its nothing like what the complainers are asking for. I'm going to ask them what being negative and complaining for years while holding your breath for the next edition and having that one suck too feels like.
...whatever
We may as well start the 6E arguments now...  Let's get a huge headstart on this thing!!
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
I have a question for the folks who say 5th Edition is coming, or is going to be announced. Saturday is the day where major announcements are made at GenCon. If 5E is not announced at this year's GenCon, will you finally lay the topic to rest?

I maintain my prediction that 5e will be released in Q4 2012, and will be released by a third party company under license by Hasbro.  It will be announced Q2 or Q3 2012, probably at GenCon.  They wouldn't announce it this early.
To Damon: What would happen to 4th edition? Would WoTC keep it and keep going with it?
To Damon: What would happen to 4th edition? Would WoTC keep it and keep going with it?

No.

EDIT: sorry, that was needlessly brief.  No, 4e would stop being published: there'd be a near-total stop to publication of 4e material leading up to the announcement, and a communications blackout.  In Q4 this year, we'd see another massive layoff of WotC D&D employees, and at the same time a big hiring by whichever company is developing 5e (likely Paizo, for a variety of reasons), and many of those laid off from WotC would be rehired at the third party company.
The issue will be laid to rest the second 5ed is released. Not a moment sooner, no matter how long it takes. 

Imagine Halley Joel Osmond in A.I. continually asking the statue if it will grant its wish, until an Ice Age freezes them both. Same thing here.

That's a sad movie.
6e? Damn? I can't even imagine what that might be like.
I seriously doubt Wizards will ever be given the oppertunity to do another D&D edition, while I enjoy 4th edition to some extent, its a far cry from what it should be.  5th edition will be announced someday but I doubt it will be Wizards making that announcement.

My Blog (The Gamers Think Tank)

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

I seriously doubt Wizards will ever be given the oppertunity to do another D&D edition, while I enjoy 4th edition to some extent, its a far cry from what it should be.  5th edition will be announced someday but I doubt it will be Wizards making that announcement.

You used to be realistic. Who is going to stop Wizards, they own the thing?
...whatever
Eh Hasbro owns Wizards, hence they own D&D and ya, if Wizards doesn't get their act together they will get shutdown.  Hasbro has no soul and right now Wizards is getting their **** handed to them by their own creation that they gave away.

Good going. Soul. That's what's needed. You're a creative and fiscal genius.
When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plantiff.

When you do not master your nerdrage, your nerdrage becomes your master.
if 5E is announced any time before 2015 I will be PISSED.

having it announced now, a mere 3 years after the release of 4th, you be theoretically catastrophic, as all the 4E fand (my self included) would complain loudly and vehemently, as our financial investment in 4E would have been for naught but three years of gaming.

having it announced now, a mere 3 years after the release of 4th, you be theoretically catastrophic, as all the 4E fand (my self included) would complain loudly and vehemently, as our financial investment in 4E would have been for naught but three years of gaming.

I just don't get this whole "OMG NEW EDITION I HAZ TO BAI NEW BOOKZ NOW!!! I HAZ NO MONIES!!! I'M MAD" thing.  Like seriously,  you've spent what $450 or more in the last 3 years?  Ever play videogames, M:tG, or freaking go to a strip club?  Money spent on entertainment is money wasted.  It's as simple as that.  D&D is not an investment it's a game.
Well that was a lot of rage for something utterly pointless.  Well done.
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

I think a lot of the fans who'd feel betrayed by a premature 5e have already been pissed off by the premature 4.5...

I wouldn't be surprised if '5e' were never announced.  Just like 4.5 was never announced, but instead called 'Essentials,' 5e will come along, not be /called/ a new ed (or, at least, not given a number), and that'll be that.   Kinda like how Intel stopped numbering their x86 processors and started giving them goofy names starting with Pentium...

D&D Essentials
D&D Fundamentals
D&D Atavisms
D&D Eschaton.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Yes. I don't know that 5e will be released. I just kept hearing people talk about it so I figured I'd come around and see if they were right. Before that it had been months since I read these forums.

But yes, I'll leave it to rest, because I won't be here. I have no interest in anything Wizards of the Coast have produced since Essentials and shortly before Essentials. My PHB has been erratad so much I may as well use it for kindling (both before Essentials was announced and after Essentials was announced). I dislike the Essentials way of creating classes, and that's all that's being produced right now. I also like the treasure parcel system which has been abandoned in favour of the Essentials treasure system.

So yes, I'll leave it to rest. Simply because I can't discuss the issue if I'm not here.
Talking about editions...