Full HP, no sweating over rolling!......good idea, right.......?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's always bugged me how you ROLL for hp, it makes an already low health'ed wizard/sorceror/bard/so on into a potentially unhealthier sort, what do you do if you keep rolling up ones? I've played DnD with rolled up stats (4d6, drop the lowest) and back then it didn't bug me that you assigned scores appropriately (for some classes there was more than one dump stat), not even health, but this was back with a nutcase DM who always gave us encounters leagues ahead of our ECL/CR and then let them die when he felt we'd been beaten around enough to make fights feel difficult.

I still don't mind rolling for stats (though I'll stick to point buy from now on) but health is another issue, putting aside potentially unhealthy wizards, you could have potentially unhealthy barbarians.

I've decided to incorporate full HP at all levels to pc's IN ADDITION to full HP to foes. Am I making a mistake?
If you don't mind balancing things appropriately, full health can be a fun way to crank the numbers.

The most commonly used health variant is just assigning average numbers though.  A d8 class for example gets 4HP, then 5, then 4, etc.  The game tries to balance on average HP, so that works out well.  Going with full HP could upend things a little when your barbarian always has at least 60 HP at level 5, without raging.  At level 20 he could potentially have over 500 HP.

Nuts, now I want to see just how high HP can get at various levels.
If you do it for the bad guys too then you make damage dealing spells almost useless and warriors less effective because doing damage is what they do. It's ok for the PCs since they're on camera all the time, and it helps to lessen death's door events if that is happening too often leading to unfunness. I suggest only let the BBEG and his main lieutenant have full hit points. All other bad guys have their normal hit points.
Support Cedric Diggory, the real Hogwarts Champion!
I've decided to incorporate full HP at all levels to pc's IN ADDITION to full HP to foes. Am I making a mistake?

I'd say yes.

Now while I'm against FULL HP for all I completely support the use of fixed hitpoints based on HD size.  I goes with what had been the RPGA fixed numbers where a d4=3, d6=4, d8=5, d10=7, and d12=8 which amounts to 67% of the max rounded to the nearest whole number.  For less important things you could just use the straight average HD to keep things simple.  Using this isn't any harder that using full hp once you realize how it works (hint, just at 7 hp when you see a d10 HD) but it keeps hitpoint about where they should be which it turn means damaging effects are as useful as they are instead of being less effective becaue they have so many more hp to chop through.

If you go with full hp on everything then you theoretically should also go with full damage on everything that causes hp damage.  A great axe may then deal 12 all the time instead of just 1:12 times when the average is 6.5 but this means a 10d6 fireball should always deal 60 points of damage (which happens less than once in 60 MILLION rolls) instead of the 35 damage which should consistently be +/- no more than 10 points. 
Thanks for the advice all, will stick to average health instead of maxing HP (I actually hadn't considered damage). In the case of the BBEG and co. will consider full HP (if it's the BBEG, I'm sure pc's will want to dish out all their best resources), and if the player's are having a hard time will allow them to max their HP as well (but only if they TRULY feel they're struggling, I'm giving them this benefit to avoid them being unhealthy, NOT as a means to buff them up and make combat into pc's outlasting npc's).

Will certainly make the players feel more at ease.
 A method we often use is that you ignore 1s on d4 & d6 HD, ignore 1-2 on d8 and ingore 1-3 on d10 & d12. It is also used on monster HP
 A method we often use is that you ignore 1s on d4 & d6 HD, ignore 1-2 on d8 and ingore 1-3 on d10 & d12. It is also used on monster HP

I'll note that this method is nearly the equivalent of just doing d3+1, d5+1, d6+2, d7+3, and d9+3 (I realize that d7/d9 are completely non-standard and d5 is half a d10.) except you should actually get better results.  It may also help the "problem" of a low hitpoint roll but it still leaves the hassle of rolling and also inflates hitpoint totals.  Using those figures you're averages are going to match up to the fixed values I mentioned earlier which happen to be a bit better than average.

What I've been doing for a few years now is full HD at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th and half HD for the rest of the levels. This has worked well in that although it is a fixed hit point system, it allowes for a little buff here and there without making the standard encounter unbalanced in the PCs favour.
我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚
After a small bit of optimizing for this specific purpose, I've come up with the following:
An average 20th level Barbarian will have about 136 base hit points solely from the d12.  If going with full HP, this rises to 240 (12*20 after all).

A Dragonborn Mongrelfolk can start off with 24 Con, or a +7 bonus right off the bat (18+6).  Through leveling and magic items, this can be increased to 40 at the very least. (+5 levels, +5 Manual of Bodily Health, +6 Amulet of Health)  This is a higher Constitution than The Terrasque's 35.  Top with Mighty Reckless Rage for a +10 Con while raging and sprinkle Improved Toughness on for +1 HP per level.

40 Con is a +15 modifier, so +300 hit points for 20 levels.  Add another 20 for Improved Toughness (+320).  Thanks to Mighty Reckless Rage giving a +10 Con, add another +5 mod for 100 more HP (+420).

When not raging, a Constitution-built Barbarian like this has a base of 456 HP. This rises to 556 while raging, and the rage lasts 23 rounds.  If one were to go with the full HP option, then this increases to 660 HP while raging.  This can be improved by 20 again by choosing the Bear Totem ACF from Complete Champion, and another 20 for having the trait Slow.  Say hello to 700 HP while raging.

I imagine there are plenty of other ways to increase this HP, so feel free to chime in.  Things I can think of are a permanent Enlarge Person and any of the other Toughness feats, especially Dragon's Toughness.

If this Dragonborn were to choose the Heart Aspect, his 100 foot long line breath would do 7d8 damage and require a DC 35 Reflex save to halve damage, or DC 40 while raging.

Such a character would have a base Fort save of +27, or +32 while raging.  If he took the Steadfast Dtermination feat, a roll of 1 would no longer be an automatic failure. Also with Steadfast Determination, his base Will save would be +21.  Not only would this increase to +26 while raging thanks to the Con change, Mighty Rage adds a +4 morale bonus to that to make it effectively +30.  If this character were to gain Mettle, he could effectively say "Screw you!" to most Fort and Will saves.

Edit: To add in some cheese, take a level in Fist of the Forest.  +Con mod to AC anyone?
I always gave full health the first 2 lvls after that it's always at least half the max for the rest.
Just to toss in my two coppers, our party has been using a system where we still roll, then take the better of the roll or the average (as presented in the DMG.)

Gives at least average HP, and tends towards higher without going overboard.

Random quotes taken out of context
(More to come as I find them...)

Magical fairy princesses (i.e. all fairy princesses) have the pleasant situation of not needing to choose, unless they're rebellious teen emo fairy princesses.~ Slagger_the_Chuul, Gleemax

So you can have the basic stats of full plate armor in an iron loincloth or steel bikini? If you were playing Jeopardy, you'd get points for that.~ StevenO & Tempest_Stormwind, Gleemax

The monkey "yells" at the Dwarf, (high pitched monkey sounds) and turns to look at the Cleric to talk in common and says... *deep Barry White type voice. "Ah yea. Here ya go"~ BuddhaKai, Gleemax

One could, I guess, take the view that part of the spell is simply persuading physics to sit down and shut up~ Ocarina_Guy, Gleemax

So what happens if you automatically fail an automatic success? Inception.~ Kamanchu & MrDayKwan, Gleemax

Jafonel, that is absolutely my favorite misreading of RAW EVER. ~tsuyoshikentsu, Gleemax You know the best part? These are four-foot-tall creatures that can conjure hammers from nowhere. They are CHIBIS!!!! ~tsuyoshikentsu, Gleemax

Hmm. And here I thought that a whip was an implement of torture and a sword was an implement of killing... ~skydragonknight, Gleemax

I'm a little behind on this, but wouldn't letting the ability (to) create a Ruby Rod open up a whole can of worms with people claiming that means they can also create a Corbin Dallas? ~Kilroo, Gleemax

wow - we accidently went by the rules when the barbarian took of(f) someones arm on purpose.... ~Tetsuoh, Gleemax

Guys, it's obviously a trick question. No one plays a CN rogue unless they want to commit Evil acts and get away with it. :P ~herrdoktor, Gleemax

This ain't the real world. This is gosh darn Dungeons and Friken Dragons! ~Arcanist, GiantitP

just so I can have the glee of, when one of the PCs gets angry and yells "WHY WON'T YOU DIE" I can respond "I would prefer not to." ~Deth Muncher, GiantitP

If sleeping with Tieflings is "Tapping into Evil power" (if ya know what I mean), that is also an Evil Act according to BoVD, and would make a Paladin fall accordingly. ~Slipperychicken, GiantitP

So we have a real world basis for it to rain cattle ~MrCustomer, Gleemax

You both make point so good, you could stab someone with them. ~Immabozo, GiantitP

Given how gravity works differently for jumping, falling, stalling, and reverse gravity, we can conclusively say that D&D physics are powered by ACME Corp. ~Flickerdart, GiantitP

In D&D, I'm pretty sure the square-cube law merely describes how cubes are to be drawn on battle mats. ~Cog, GiantitP

continuous Prestidigitation refrigeration ~Tempest_Stormwind, Gleemax

In my current campaign, I gave PCs full hp for their first 4 HD, then we switched to rolling for hp.  Players do that as a group at the table.

When rolling for hp, we reroll 1s.  If a player rolls higher than 1 and is still unhappy with the result, the player has the option of rolling again and subtracting the number of the first roll from the second roll's result.  If the second roll is lower than the first, the first roll is taken.  For example, if a player running a fighter rolls a 3 for hp, he can roll again.  If his second roll is a 9, he would subtract 3 from that for 6 hp.  If the player rolls a 2 on his second roll, the original roll of 3 would stand.

Giving monsters full hp might not break the campaign if the PCs are well built.  And even if the PCs can't handle the extra hp, shave off some of the monster's hp from behind the screen and adjust accordingly as you see fit.