News from Gen Con

341 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hadn't seen this discussed yet, but a tweet by @Slyflourish earlier today announced more plans for DDI material with a Oriental Adventures feel.
"@Slyflourish
Will have oriental char themes, a ninja assassin build and a kanji rune priest build. Go go Oriental Adventures." 
Looks like there might be more on that theme as well, ENworld poster Shroomy hinted he had written material that wasn't announced yet. 
Some more details from that panel as linked in the future release forum
blogofholding.com/?p=3189
No news on 5E?
...whatever
Four Wizards design/development people were on hand to answer questions and preview upcoming Dragon content.

From their upcoming content slideshow:

Sep-Oct: Kara Tur

"Oriental" themes ninja assassin build

"kanji runepriest" build, who uses Kanji instead of dwarven runes. Maybe slightly exoticizing but it's all good. R&D also noted that they know that runepriest does not have a lot of support, and, for one reason or another, three separate runepriest Dragon articles have died before they were launched. They're happy to finally have some runepriest support.

Unearthed Arcana: an optional Honor rule system.

Nov-Dec: Dragon support for Heroes of the Feywild

Fey character themes Moonshaes (expect Celtic influenced stuff, unicorns, etc)

Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut 4e adventure

Unearthed Arcana: rules for arcane duels

Jan-Feb - Forgotten Realms Cormyr (purple dragon knight, etc)

Channel Divinity options for Faerun gods

Elemental themes, including monsters from the 1e Fiend Folio

The second part of the seminar was a general QA, in which we learned the following:

Website Q: Can we get high-resolution versions of the maps that go with adventures? A: (Bart Carroll Yes, we can do that. Also we are exploring print-on-demand services for maps and other assets. Bart: We want to have a better way of sorting Dungeon adventures by level.

Q: Can you do a better job sorting items in the rarity system? A: "Wheels are turning." Items will hopefully be re-tagged by the time Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium comes out, and MME itself will provide rarities for some existing items (reprints) as well as new items.

Bart thinks it is hard to find Dragon content once it has rolled off the front page, and he is planning to work on that.

There is a racial utility powers article series coming up.

There is a "Tavern Profiles" series coming that fleshes out some taverns with story elements, descriptions, etc. The next article pitch period is October.

Q: What should we pitch? A: Looking for supportfor specific, often corner-case characters. Examples: Swarm druid, star pact hexblade. Even better would be material targeted towards these cases but still usable by other builds and classes. Looking for good stories more than mechanical tricks. The best pitches have cool mechanics that support story hooks. 2 or 3 good hooks is better than 14. Finally, pitching something you are interested in, and has worked well in your group, is better than guessing what Wizards wants. That said, make pitches that would tie well into upcoming Encounters seasons or products announced at the saturday upcoming products seminar. Especially look at the first month of 2012, where they have a lot of holes on their calendar.

Q: We'd like more random generators. A: Try pitching one as a Dragon article or website feature

. Upcoming products: Q: Will we see an Essentials bard, with easy-to-use stances and auras, kinda like the essentials Knight? A: Look at Heroes of the Feywild, it's like you read the manuscript! UndecidedYellYellYell

There will be an Against the Giants series by Chris Perkins. Not sure whether it will be a series of Dungeon articles or Encounters.

General Questions Q: Can you errata this or that? A: We try to do a balancing act. Should we fix something broken? We don't want to change the play experience too much with our errata, because we know there are book-only players, and we want them to feel like they are playing the same game.

Jeremy Crawford is going to do a system-wide review of various aspects of the game (possibly including critical hits) for errata purposes.

Audience member: We'd like backgrounds, like a typical village, that we can use as starting points for adventures. That 4e Village of Hommlet conversion was great! As was the original. A: "It turns out that Gary, he knew what he was doing."

Q: Custom items and monsters in DDI? A: We're working on it right now.
No news on 5E?

This wasn't their big announcement seminar.  That is Saturday.  So if they were to announce 5E, which they aren't, it would be then.

They have to ruin 4th with the new direction more so that they can sell 5e by saying it'll fix everything they broke.

But on a more serious note, interesting to see runepriest get support via asian-themed stuff.

Good to know Heroes of the Feywild will likely be as dead as Heroes of Shadows was amongst my group (which is funny, because everyone wanted that book to be awesome).

Time will tell how that guy reviewing the system will effect anything. 

Also, is the Nina-Assassin a Assasin Build, an Executioner Build, or another E-style class that is under the hat of the assassin?

No news on 5E?

This wasn't their big announcement seminar.  That is Saturday.  So if they were to announce 5E, which they aren't, it would be then.

I was at the GenCon when they announced 3e.  There was no question from the moment you walked into the convetion that they were announcing a new edition, what with the giant signs and all.

I wasn't at the GenCon where 4e got announced, but I seem to recall it being announced on the website the day that GenCon opened as well.  So I suspect that if 5e were going to be announced at this GenCon, it would be known already.  

So the "OMG The release schedule totally means that they are announcing 5th edition!!!!!" threads can now subside...for at least 9 or ten more months when I am sure they will start up again in time for NEXT year's GenCon. 
No news on 5E?

I can't tell if you're kidding, just making a statement, or if you're expecting the announcement.
...whatever
No news on 5E?

People who are expecting this are going to be very very disappointed.

They have to ruin 4th with the new direction more so that they can sell 5e by saying it'll fix everything they broke.

But on a more serious note, interesting to see runepriest get support via asian-themed stuff.

Good to know Heroes of the Feywild will likely be as dead as Heroes of Shadows was amongst my group (which is funny, because everyone wanted that book to be awesome).

Time will tell how that guy reviewing the system will effect anything. 

Also, is the Nina-Assassin a Assasin Build, an Executioner Build, or another E-style class that is under the hat of the assassin?

Says theme.
No news on 5E?

I can't tell if you're kidding, just making a statement, or if you're expecting the announcement.

Huh?  I was, in a nutshell, saying that 5E won't be announced, because it probably isn't even in the planning stages yet.  I was unaware that at the GenCon preceeding 3E (and likely 4E) that they had signage and whatnot that made it unquestionable when a new edition was coming out.
No news on 5E?

Nobody is expecting this.
No news on 5E?

Which means that the Spanish Inquisition will soon strike! Quickly, hide your comfy chairs!

No news on 5E?

I dunno man, I seem to recall quite a few threds wherre the idea was bandied about and a few where it was taken as a fact.

Now I will agree that very few were expecting it, but there seemed to be at least a handful of people. 
No news on 5E?

I dunno man, I seem to recall quite a few threds wherre the idea was bandied about and a few where it was taken as a fact.

Now I will agree that very few were expecting it, but there seemed to be at least a handful of people. 

"5e at 2011 GenCon" is a strawman.  Nobody reasonable expects it, let me put it that way.
"5e at 2011 GenCon" is a strawman.  Nobody reasonable expects it, let me put it that way.

Welcome to the internet.  You must be new here.
This forum has quite a few unreasonable people. This is not news.
...whatever
Can I just say this is the most exciting I've been with 4e ever? Because that line up looks like all sorts of fun. Might have to start another campaign that can use it...

cough cough sputter sputter..... ummmmm ok.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

cough cough sputter sputter..... ummmmm ok.

That was mostly a joke, though perhaps for those some who don't like essentials it may seem like that.

That said, while it may not surprises many, I am kind of disapointed with whats been shown. It seems like alot of reskinning (this time with asian-ness instead of shadowfell-ness) and retreading ideas (does this bard honestly do anything thematicly the current bard can't? Atleast the hexlade and sentinel were notably different than their parent...and they suffered for it).

Instead of creating new classes that need support, Wizards seems to like making classes  that don't really have their own identity outside mechanics that also need support since they cant use many of their parent class' toys.

Atleast runepriests are getting some support, and assassins are getting a...theme.

Despite what is said up-thread, the two sources I've seen, Slyflourish's tweet, and the blog of holding transcript say "build" not "theme" for the ninja.
Have any announcements been made abut actual product coming up? You know, like books full of awesome character options? The stuff that people want to buy?
No news on 5E?

I was not expecting a 5E announcement this year, and likely not next year (although it's a bit early to say). However I am of the opinion that preliminary work on 5E has begun, and is coloring 4E releases somewhat - mostly in the sense of introducing things that make a mess of 4E so that 5E can fix them by abandoning the improvements that 4E offers over previous editions.

(And no, that isn't an anti-Essentials poke. Essentials is mostly decent-to-good ideas that would have been very nice integrated into the beginning of a new edition; the big problem was the attempt to cram them into the middle of an existing edition. What they've done SINCE Essentials, though, is mostly bad.)

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
No news on 5E?

I was not expecting a 5E announcement this year, and likely not next year (although it's a bit early to say). However I am of the opinion that preliminary work on 5E has begun, and is coloring 4E releases somewhat - mostly in the sense of introducing things that make a mess of 4E so that 5E can fix them by abandoning the improvements that 4E offers over previous editions.

Intentionally making a mess of your current product so the next version can fix it doesn't happen in real life
...whatever
Have any announcements been made abut actual product coming up? You know, like books full of awesome character options? The stuff that people want to buy?

I think the product announcements are Saturday...

Not to join the bashing of 4E, but seriously how many more awesome character options are there? I mean I'm already reading complaints about the Kara Tur stuff by 4E fans as just be rehashed builds with oriental window dressing. Are we actually expecting the announcement of the PHB4?

Not trying to be negative, just wondering what else is there... this is part of what fuels the specualtion about a new edition.

Veteran of The Transfer... Add 700 to my post count... 

No news on 5E?

Intentionally making a mess of your current product so the next version can fix it doesn't happen in real life

Individual companies NEVER do anything incredibly stupid.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
We aren't talking stupid here. We're talking about intentionally sabotaging your own product. That doesn't hapen in real life.
...whatever

I wasn't at the GenCon where 4e got announced, but I seem to recall it being announced on the website the day that GenCon opened as well.  So I suspect that if 5e were going to be announced at this GenCon, it would be known already.  

I was at that gen con, and I went expecting it might be the case (only a month or two before I went from a sig asking to ban 4e talk, to starting threads about it). Friday night at a game that ran to midnight one of the guys told me 4e was announced... I still remember walking in on saterday after an early morning game...with very little sleep and seeing the big signs... all the gen con signs had a d10 rolling a 4... how we all missed that on wensday I don;t know... 

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

We aren't talking stupid here. We're talking about intentionally sabotaging your own product. That doesn't hapen in real life.

Does sound like somebodies nasty urban myth.... 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Very excited about a lot of the stuff mentioned at Gen Con.   And so glad that the essentials-style sub-classes are being continuted despite all the haters; I feel that 4th edition has only gotten better and better since the "Heroes of..." series started.
Woot! Kara-Tur articles sound good to me! Articles on Heroes of Feywild not so much but I'm sure others will enjoy them.

Like, say if there was a computer game, and the parent company wanted to make a new game, they wouldn't stop promoting their old game, right?  That wouldn't happen, not in real life.  There would be lawsuits and stuff.

Or the plot of The Producers.

Or the plot of The Producers.

Or that one thing that happened that one time.
Like, say if there was a computer game, and the parent company wanted to make a new game, they wouldn't stop promoting their old game, right?  That wouldn't happen, not in real life.  There would be lawsuits and stuff.

What are you refering to and why would there be lawsuits? Would the company sue itself or something?

What are you refering to and why would there be lawsuits? Would the company sue itself or something?

Disappointed stockholders quite often sue the company they own.  Logically these suits are nonsense and favors those with better lawyers, not those who are the greater victims, but that does not stop them from succeeding at times.
    Now in the case at hand, it would depend on what contracts were signed, a matter WOTC is not telling us much about.  But if somebody is making a lot of money from 4e, and expects little from 5e, we can expect he will be seeing a lawyer as soon as he hears that 5e is a fact. 

While I agree with you, there are many economic types who believe, for example, that New Coke was intended to fail as a ploy to repopularize and rebrand "Classic Coke". 

Several posters have said WotC's behavior has been almost "as if" they wanted 4e to fail... But I've seen very few people actually believing that.
    Disappointed stockholders quite often sue the company they own.  Logically these suits are nonsense and favors those with better lawyers, not those who are the greater victims, but that does not stop them from succeeding at times.

This sounds more like lawsuits as a cost of doing business: anything you do that someone who owns stake in your company disagrees with sets you up for a lawsuit. Technically, yeah, it answers the question, but it doesn't answer the real question, which is what is unique about that scenario that would produce unusually legitimate lawsuits; that failing to promote Castle Critters in favor of promoting Castle Critters II has some sort of obvious legal ramifications and that I have missed all the commercials for Oblivion amidst those for Fallout: New Vegas (or the lawsuits the lack of said commercials created within Bethesda).

And I still want to know what he's referring to, as he seems to have a particular example in mind.
Surprise, surprise. "Absence of proof is not proof of absence," and all that. Undecided

Looking forward to 'Heroes of the Feywild.'
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Will have oriental char themes, a ninja assassin build and a kanji rune priest build. Go go Oriental Adventures." 

Yes!

That is all.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
ninja build = hell yes!
kara-tur = more please!
heroes of feywild = be better than hoshadow please w00t!
ebard = better deliver even though we'll love the fifth wheel out of him anyway!
elemental stuff = too far away ahhh! 
Sign In to post comments