Attack Roll - Is the DM suppose to announce the monster's attack score total?

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
When a monster hits, is the dm supposed to announce the total attack score or does he just say hit or miss?

EDIT: Well, what if a player has a daily power that immediately interrupts an attack and raise his ac by a couple points and the information of what they rolled could really matter? Should the DM tell the player the attack total or should the player just use the daily power and hope that it worked?
It's really a matter of preference.  I go ahead and do it for a couple of reasons, the first is that my players will figure out things klike attack bonuses and AC within a couple of rounds anyway so it's not like I am keeping a big secret.  Another is for purposes of things like Shield spells that they can use to boost Ac temporarily, I think its kind of a dick move to not let them at least know they are close enough for such to matter and that's much easier done if I am open about my numbers.  

But again, that's a matter of pure opinion and I am sure others could come up with reasons not to.  So in short, do whatever you are more comfortable with. 
Which ever he wants.
Well, what if a player has a daily power that immediately interrupts an attack and raise his ac by a couple points and the information of what they rolled could really matter? Should the DM tell the player the attack total or should the player just use the daily power and hope that it worked?
Several of the developers have said that they do announce the numbers, both for ease of play (they don't have to remember what everyone's defenses are) and due to the presence of defense-boosting triggers (like Shield), for which it's intended that the players will know whether or not they'll make a difference.
Some dont even mention the numbers.... others describe the attacks results and tell them how many hitpoints they lose

I have used a variant where I dont roll the dice for attack just damage I describe the start of the attack and what defense its targetting the players roll for there defense (I roll damage dice) and they describe how the results look  (except my daughter who has me describe it) .. if they roll a one thats equivalent of the enemy getting a crit.

More at the end of this blog Embrace the Abstraction
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

 

Traditionally, when a DM makes any roll at all, he or she keeps the result a secret. There are a lot of good reasons either way, though, and I've even played with some DMs that will keep some secret and some others public, sometimes seemingly arbitrarily.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
The DM keeping attack roll a myster is outdated to me. So my vote is tell them it helps with power usage and is more fair.
The DM keeping attack roll a myster is outdated to me. So my vote is tell them it helps with power usage and is more fair.



In context I agree ... I would tell them the roll was close enough to divert with the power.... 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

 

i sometimes wont tell players what the roll is if i want to not kill them, or just get combat moving, or simply to just say "the goblin hits you" even if he actually didnt, especially if it is something that could be extremely cool or cinematic in its implementation
 
As a DM I pretty much make every roll in front of the screen and announce the totals just out of habit.  If the players want to figure out what the to hit bonus is, they can do that.  If they metagame it to a point where it gives them an advantage they shouldn't have, I'll call them on it.  I trust them to play it straight and they trust me not to cheat (unless it's once in a blue moon in their favor).

Half the time they aren't paying attention to what I roll anyway, just what I announce.  They're mainly only concerned about damage rolls and recharge rolls anyway (and I announce something like "this monster is going to recharge its secret power on a 4,5,6 ...  oh, look, it recharged!  Sucks for you!) 

The other reason I roll in front of the screen is because we track how many 20s and 1s everyone gets, just for the fun of it.    

So really, do whatever you want.  If your players don't trust you to roll behind the screen, don't.  When they see you're not fudging the numbers they'll forget about it after a while.    

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

There are too many things going on, or that could go on, for the DM to keep track of everyone's defenses. And the alternative to the DM keeping track of everyone's defenses is for the DM to announce the attack total.

Very rarely in games I have run, the total I announced was not consistent with the dice roll, usually because I had goofed on planning the encounter and the party was getting wiped. Occasionally because I just got hot dice.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
I don't know how a DM could possibly keep track of everyones defenses, especially with modifiers tacked on for marks, activated powers, etc even if they had the base values written down on paper.  If a DMs going to just decide if attacks hit or miss I guess that's up to them, but it's not really a fair or honest way to play the game.  I've never DM'd or played in a game that's been done that way, and I never would.  DM as control freak is one of those stereotypes that needs to go away, and those DMs along with it as far as I'm concerned.

Its meta game information, so its really DM dependent but I personally I think some information is ok, in particular information like attack scores as it helps to speed up the game and the impact is pretty minimal in terms of tactical advantages so the meta information is not all that useful tactically.

Things like defense scores can have a larger impact since players might adapt their tactics if they know creatures have weak wills or dex scores, but than again I mean you can often simply guess at what a creature might be good at and what he will be bad at since D&D itself is just full of clices. Zombies you know that their Dex will be low for example.  So again this information when revealed is not likely to shock anyone or suddenly have a huge impact on tactics so i think its ok, perhaps you don't spell it all out at the start of the combat but when someone takes a swing at him you might say "they have AC 17" just so everyone knows from that point wether or not a 16 is a hit or a miss, it helps to speed up the game and again impact is probobly going to be quite minimal.

Some information though I think is really good to hide from the players.  Wether or not a creature is a minion is one big one for me, I go to a lot of effort to confuse and mix up minions among other creatures to give the minions a bit of an edge and make them more useful while forcing the players to take the fight on in a more natural in character fashion rather than the meta gaming "these are all minions, blast them with your breath weapons". 

I also hide hitpoints, I don't want players to have any clue how many hitpoints something has, that way the bloodied condition becomes kind of more meaningful information when it takes place and besides my favorite thing is to shock someone when they make a big hit on something and it doesnt end up bloodied and watch them squirm.

Other things I will often hide is monsters themselves.  I will always look at line of site and if I see a monster is fully covered I will remove him off the tactical map, sometimes make some stealth checks or even just fake checks to get the players a little nervous.  over time the effect is that players when they see the tactical map they don't assume "ya this is the whole fight", they are checking corners and looking for those hidden enemies makign the fight a lot more dynamic and again kind of more realisitic in a sense.


The general rule of thumb is hide the stuff that would be deemed too much meta game information and reveal the stuff that will help speed up the game that is not going to have too much of an impact on player tactics.        

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

http://www.gamersdungeon.net/

When I DM games I have always rolled in front of the players.  In tought fights or ones with a BBEG this can raise some suspense since I call out the bonus to hit before I roll.  I make balanced encounters and let the random rolls fly.  I do not fudge rolls to either hit or miss a character and that is, generally speaking, the only reason I have seen a GM screen used.
I roll dices in the open, but I never announce the attack score total, I just say hit or missed. My players can figure out the monsters' attack bonus themselves, it's not hard.
The DMs I game with will usually just announce the defense targeted and the total attack roll. This lets the player know if that encounter power will make a difference or not. Personally, I'd rather those types of defensive powers were just streamlined to downgrade a crit to a regular hit, and a regular hit to a miss. This also assumes that there isn't a way to turn that encounter power into an at-will

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
There are too many things going on, or that could go on, for the DM to keep track of everyone's defenses. And the alternative to the DM keeping track of everyone's defenses is for the DM to announce the attack total.


This. Even without reactions, does the warlock have concealment from shadow walk this turn? Did the Talaric Ironjack hit with an unaugmented at will since the beginning of his last turn? Was it it this turn or last that the swordmage took total defense, and how much did his defensive weapon add to that again?

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
There are too many things going on, or that could go on, for the DM to keep track of everyone's defenses. And the alternative to the DM keeping track of everyone's defenses is for the DM to announce the attack total.


This. Even without reactions, does the warlock have concealment from shadow walk this turn? Did the Talaric Ironjack hit with an unaugmented at will since the beginning of his last turn? Was it it this turn or last that the swordmage took total defense, and how much did his defensive weapon add to that again?



"The orc charges you. 'Rolls 12'. Hey, what's your AC? 20? Ok, so that's a hit."
That's what I do, and it works.

i announce hit or miss, and I might ask about AC or say "hits AC X". I don't announce crits until after interrupts have gone. The reason for this is becausewe had a swordmage in the group who would _only_ use dimensional vortex on a crit. He would sit and camp on his immediate interrupt until it happened. It seems like that made the power much more potent than it was intended to be, considering how it doesn't have to trigger on his marked target, and the DM makes a lot of rolls. It's sort of crit-fishing for the swordmage
And yet, exactly rules-legal.  In fact it's a deviation for you to decide that crits are revealed after the interrupt can't be triggered anymore.  And one I don't agree with.

I announce NPC attack rolls the same way the players do, "rolltotal vs Defense."  I actually find it irritating when DMs don't reveal roll totals.  I forgive them if they're sufficiently descriptive to get the idea across, but they don't do that all the time.  From a roleplaying perspective I find the intentional obstructionism of the number taxing, since it's not as if my character isn't standing right there being charged by the orc, and doesn't know how close that swing came to hitting him.  The number is a useful piece of information for roleplaying the results, and demanded by several mechanics.  I still see no justification for concealing it.

Now, concealing the d20 number?  That's a different story.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I like symmetry of decision making. Trusting the DM to be completely fair and yet distrusting the players is a bit too old school for my tastes. DMs make decisions on what to attack and even what monsters to use, at times, based on party composition. What does it hurt for players to use their powers effectively is my question?
i roll in front of my players bc my d20 is completely ruthless...its like made to crit....so if i dont roll in front of them they wouldnt believe my rolls. its probably a factory error on it...i roll too hot
I have to roll in front of my players.  I have found that if I don't, I have the tendency to cheat in favor of the players.  If I roll a nat 20, I would downgrade it into a normal hit.  If I hit and it causes the PC to go unconscious, then I downgrade it into a miss.  This was not fair to me or my monsters.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

In my games the player's just tell me what the total is and I tell them whether or not it hits.  If they want to use an immediate interupt they may ask me "Well did the monster hit me with in 3?" and I will tell them yes or no.

Edit: I roll in front of my player's but they don't know the total.
When a monster hits, is the dm supposed to announce the total attack score or does he just say hit or miss?

I am not sure about it being a rule or not, but I give total attack scores. When a PC has a power that would interrupt/affect the roll, I expect the player to tell me, rather than me telling the player, so it is only fair that the player know when it would work.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
In general, I announce total attack rolls for two reasons:

1.  It's actually more realistic.  If an enemy swings a sword at you and misses by a mile or just barely misses, then that is the difference between him missing your AC by 10 or missing it by 1.  Your character would notice, why shouldn't the player know?

2.  Announcing numbers speeds up the game, as it requires less back and forth between the players, and it leaves less room for mistakes, as it lets both the DM and the players track status effects that would affect the attack roll.  The less back and forth, the less interruption, and the less interruption, the less loss of immersion.
The reason for this is becausewe had a swordmage in the group who would _only_ use dimensional vortex on a crit.

I handled that by adding a house rule that all such redirect interrupt powers cause the target to reroll the attack.

I announce numbers.  I even "ask" when it's obvious that it's a hit.  "Does a natural 20 hit you?", but that's mostly just me rubbing it in.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I roll in secret but anounce totals as qustions.

This gives a little leway to keep some mystery since they don't know if I rolled really good. Though I do give that aways sometimes when they get that shocked looked on their faces. But never the exact number just Really bad, bad, good, or really good.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

 

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

I play with transparency of defenses, HP and attack rolls. I know the player's defenses, they know the monster's. The only rolls I tend to make in secret are ones where players should be unaware of if they succeed or fail (perception, insight, a few others).
I have to roll in front of my players.  I have found that if I don't, I have the tendency to cheat in favor of the players.  If I roll a nat 20, I would downgrade it into a normal hit.  If I hit and it causes the PC to go unconscious, then I downgrade it into a miss.  This was not fair to me or my monsters.


I also have a strong tendency to do this, I think that the next game session I DM I'll try this.  Often if the PCs are in trouble in battle I worry that I made the encounter too hard, but I usually keep the encounter levels no more than party level +2, so I'll just have to trust that they will be able to pull a win out of a tough fight.  Actually a hard fought win might feel like a greater achievement to them.

For the last few years, I’ve started rolling everything in front of the players, and no longer use a screen.  I definitely prefer the interaction and atmosphere this creates.  I don’t announce bonuses, but it doesn’t take them long to do the math.  This seems fairly “realistic”, in that with most attacks it should seem obvious if an attack is close or not, i.e. watching weapons swings, arrows, spell effects, etc...  I have a running joke where I’ll announce “ooh, very close” whenever they attack, even if they obviously missed by a mile.  Still draws a chuckle on occasion.

I usually just ask my player's for their defences when they get attacked.  When I play a game over Gametable, I have them put their defences up on the drop down info page for their characters, which tells me right then and there if they get hit. 

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

The reason for this is becausewe had a swordmage in the group who would _only_ use dimensional vortex on a crit.

I handled that by adding a house rule that all such redirect interrupt powers cause the target to reroll the attack.

I announce numbers.  I even "ask" when it's obvious that it's a hit.  "Does a natural 20 hit you?", but that's mostly just me rubbing it in.


One DM I know will, at third level, ask does a 27 hit your fort?

And the whole table groans. 

We all know he rolled a 19. 
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
The most common reply I get from players (in reply to that exact question under those exact circumstances) is "well, if you're asking me I'm gonna say no"

Edit: besides interrupts, the other aspect is that I have run games for PCs with idiotically high conditional defenses.  The paladin with all the "until hit/bloodied" magic items, and boots of the Fencing master.   The Warlock with the cloak of translocation and the armor of "cursed targets can't hit me" who teleports every round.  Sometimes 19s miss after the PC blows an interrupt defensive booster.  Sometimes 19s just plain miss.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I'm partial to claims that my defenses are in the 40's.

His face doesn't get that shocked look anymore though. 
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
what if a player has a daily power that immediately interrupts an attack and raise his ac by a couple points and the information of what they rolled could really matter? Should the DM tell the player the attack total

Yes. The writers generally played the game with announcing total attack scores (and players then confirming whether it was a hit or miss), and interrupt abilities were balanced around that concept.

Now, in practice I personally (for speed) still generally don't announce totals to my players, but I instead try to let them know when their interrupts would make a difference (and if they say they want to use an interrupt and it won't make a difference, I let them save the interrupt rather than wasting it).

I give the attack roll total, because the player needs to know if using his Immediate Interrupt/Free Action defense bonus or attack roll penalty will make the difference.

I am attempting to get my players to announce 'hit me by X', so that other people know if THEIR Immediate Interrupt/Free Action defense bonuses or attack roll penalties will make the difference.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
There isn't a rule.

However, I prefer to roll attack rolls out on the table, and then tell the result, because then the player says "yeah, that hit" or "no, it didn't", instead of me checking a chart.

On top of that, as mentioned, there are some powers that are interrupts that you can't use until you know by how much you were hit (or, rather, that should never be used if you don't know how much you were hit by). 
Salla, on minions: I typically use them as encounter filler. 'I didn't quite fill out the XP budget, not enough room left for a decent near-level monster ... sprinkle in a few minions'. Kind of like monster styrofoam packing peanuts.

I make most of my rolls in the open, regardless of which game I'm running – even at Encounters. The only exception is if the players shouldn't know the result. I'm pretty obssessive about keeping out-of-character information away from the players because you can't be tempted to have your character act on OOC information if you don't have any.


Heck, my rolls are so open that during my first Encounters session as GM I offered to let them know the monsters' defenses but several of my players actualy enjoy figuring them out – as do I – so I only display the monsters' defenses if they've faced them before. That way they don't have to ask me if they hit and can speed the game up by simply saying "Miss" or telling me what was done to my poor critter.


Other GMs prefer to thoroughly describe all of their monsters' attacks and feel that players knowing the numbers would interfere with immersion. Still other GMs just like to keep all of their rolls secret and that's fine too. It's entirely up to the group; do whatever's fun for you and your players. As in many cases with roleplaying games, there is no "right" answer.


In answer to your second question: when playing with a GM who does hide his roles, we simply ask him "Will +X help?" and then decide whether to use the power. That's especially important with new players at Encounters because you don't want them leaving annoyed and never returning.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

The reason for this is becausewe had a swordmage in the group who would _only_ use dimensional vortex on a crit.

I handled that by adding a house rule that all such redirect interrupt powers cause the target to reroll the attack.

I announce numbers.  I even "ask" when it's obvious that it's a hit.  "Does a natural 20 hit you?", but that's mostly just me rubbing it in.


I like this, and will suggest it to our group.
Sign In to post comments