So, whats the bone WOTC is throwing out for DDi at Gen Con this year?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Every year at or right before Gen Con, WOTC tells the public what there plans are for DDi so the WOTC staff does not get hit with alot of questions about DDi due to WOTC being pretty much silent about whats upcoming.

So, what bones is WOTC throwing out this year for DDi?  
That's pretty much an unanswerable question.  None of us know, no one from WOTC can say.

If you are asking for speculation, though, I think the most likely answer is the same as the last couple of GenCons, nothing.  Nothing new for DDI will be announced.  If the question comes up it will be the usual stock answer 'We've got lots of big plans in the works, you'll see them soon."

If ANYTHING were to be announced and I had to make a guess as to what, I'd have to go with the VT going to a full blown open beta status (i.e. no invite required).  But I have my doubts about even that, these days. 
That's pretty much an unanswerable question.  None of us know, no one from WOTC can say.

If you are asking for speculation, though, I think the most likely answer is the same as the last couple of GenCons, nothing.  Nothing new for DDI will be announced.  If the question comes up it will be the usual stock answer 'We've got lots of big plans in the works, you'll see them soon."

If ANYTHING were to be announced and I had to make a guess as to what, I'd have to go with the VT going to a full blown open beta status (i.e. no invite required).  But I have my doubts about even that, these days. 

I would place my bet on more Neverwinter coverage at the very least.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

I'm pretty optimistic that there will an announcement built around the VT,

All has been pretty quiet in that regard lately so I'm hoping that means their working on some big step forward. My hope is that some sort of map and counter customisation will be made available although possibly with a micro-transaction structure built around it so you can get maps and counters for a given product for a small fee.
I have a couple of ideas. (All of these are based on my guesses, not on anything I have heard from WotC.)

1. A standalone *electronic* sheet for the character builder. I can see this as being an invaluable expansion of the usefulness of the CB (and DDI) to those that may not have net access where they game. This would be a sheet that would allow for alterations to HP, XP and possibly stats, which would be reflected in power cards, etc.

2. A major update to the Monster Builder to allow it to be used to make custom monsters.

3. A major statement about the VT going to open beta.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere

A major update to the Monster Builder to allow it to be used to make custom monsters.

At this point, I'll believe THAT when I see it.  They don't seem in any hurry to make that so, no reason to suppose that's changing anytime soon.

ETA:  As per what I quoted in my post below, you can cross this one off your list, sadly.

A major statement about the VT going to open beta.

Like I said in another thread, I thought that too but I am not so sure now.  I read they were planning more invites after the con, so that would imply its staying closed for the forseeable future.

Pretty much the evasive non-answer I expected.  sigh.

Q: Custom items and monsters in DDI? A: We're working on it right now.

I wonder if they realize that every time that they tell us we will eventually have something besides a level slider for the monsters without ever delivering anything, it gets increasingly more difficult to beleive them. 

I wonder if they realize that every time that they tell us we will eventually have something besides a level slider for the monsters without ever delivering anything, it gets increasingly more difficult to beleive them. 

Maybe if the question were asked less often, you'd also hear the response you don't like less often? 

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Maybe if the question were asked less often, you'd also hear the response you don't like less often? 

And three years from now when we STILL have nothing but a Monster Slider and they are STILL saying 'Oh yeah, someday it will be really awesome', will you still have the same attitude?  People ask the question so uch because they want a working, updated, monster builder and are willing to pay for it.  But for some reason that completely bafffles me, they don't seem to give a rat's hiney.

And three years from now when we STILL have nothing but a Monster Slider and they are STILL saying 'Oh yeah, someday it will be really awesome', will you still have the same attitude?  People ask the question so uch because they want a working, updated, monster builder and are willing to pay for it.  But for some reason that completely bafffles me, they don't seem to give a rat's hiney.

The idea that some people keep trying to pass off that waiting years is perfectly acceptable is laughable. 

The fact is, this isn't brand new software they are having to develop. It doesn't do any thing other then data manipulation. When they say adding a single tile to the VT takes 3-4 people hours to do (Their words not my guess) and that they have rebuilt the whole art management system from the ground up so that one person can do it in minutes, means they made it wrong in the first place.

The fact that it's taking so long to come out with this software and that even simple improvements are far and few between, means they are seriously understaffed.  

And from what I've recently heard, the DnD brand is in a state of flux. The best selling products they have are the board games, which they didn't expect them to do this well. But that yes, Pathfinder is pulling ahead. That a lot of their products got canceled by Papa Hasbro, because sales were down.  

My response was intended to be humorous.  Thus the .

The fact is the question is asked in one form or another several times a month.  You seem to frequent a lot of those threads.  Don't like hearing the same thing over and over?  Stop asking for a while.

WotC gets that you want to know, and I'm sure they care.  You don't have to browbeat them with it for them to understand, or to make them care.  Just like the kid who asks his Mom 3 times in 5 minutes if dinner is ready, it's not going to make the food cook any faster.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Forum posting is SRS BZNS!

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
Bart thinks it is hard to find Dragon content once it has rolled off the front page, and he is planning to work on that.

Yes. Please. 

Forum posting is SRS BZNS!

Love it.