Warlock- Eldritch Blast Optimizer?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was reading the Warlock Handbook, and I'm somewhat intrigued by the concept of the "at-will optimizer", who maxes out an at-will power (I would choose Eldritch Blast) and uses encounter and daily powers as a sort of toolbox to add extra battlefield control when necessary.

So how would I go about this?  How do I get the most out of Eldritch Blast? Which encounter and daily powers are good for my toolbox? Could I do this as a Gnome Fey Pact Warlock, or should I really go with Tiefling and Infernal?

Is there a guide on this build that I could read?

Thanks.
Warlocks tend to get the best out of Hellish Rebuke, since it's a double tap power, but for Eldrich Blast/Eldritch Strike, you optimize around its RBA/MBA properties.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 11
Tiefling, Warlock
Eldritch Pact: Infernal Pact
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Constitution

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 22, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 17, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 19 Fort: 21 Reflex: 20 Will: 19
HP: 84 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +11, Heal +5, History +9, Insight +5, Intimidate +8, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +9, Stealth +7, Streetwise +8, Thievery +5, Athletics +4

FEATS
Level 1: Hellfire Blood
Level 2: Blood Pact of Cania
Level 4: Hellish Blast
Level 6: Arcane Prodigy
Level 8: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)
Level 10: Implement Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 11: Implement Focus (Dagger)

POWERS
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast
Infernal Pact: Hellish Rebuke
Warlock daily 1: Flames of Phlegethos
Warlock encounter 3: Fiery Bolt
Warlock daily 5: Avernian Eruption

ITEMS
Magic Incendiary dagger +3, Eagle Eye Goggles (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Basic tiefling eldritch blast op, with room for more improvement. Firing at +19 vs. reflex for 1d10+20, plus curse. Can add bracers of the perfect shot, and dragonshard of the mage for more damage still.

Of course the warlock could do so much more interesting things...
Well, the interesting things would be the encounter and daily powers, right? 

Thanks.
Well, the interesting things would be the encounter and daily powers, right? 

Thanks.

Yeah, but you can do things that apply accross the board instead of with a single at-will. Even two-fold pact for sorcerer-king and mindbite scorn along with killing curse to bump up curse damage instead of the damage of specific powers for example.
I never fleshed out the full build, but an Eladrin Warlock will get to add Int to Eldritch Blast, and Int with curse damage in Epic, if you MC Seeker you can add your Str or Dex to RBAs and can take a PP that gives you +1 hit with RBAs and can crit on a 19-20.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Show
level 11
Tiefling, Warlock

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +11, Heal +5, History +9, Insight +5, Intimidate +8, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +9, Stealth +7, Streetwise +8, Thievery +5, Athletics +4

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

Basic tiefling eldritch blast op, with room for more improvement. Firing at +19 vs. reflex for 1d10+20, plus curse. Can add bracers of the perfect shot, and dragonshard of the mage for more damage still.

A quick question: why the incendiary dagger as opposed to an ashen rod? I'm sure there's a reason but right off the top, I don't see it.

Thanks,
Ghorrin
Show
level 11
Tiefling, Warlock

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

A quick question: why the incendiary dagger as opposed to an ashen rod? I'm sure there's a reason but right off the top, I don't see it.

Thanks,
Ghorrin

Dragonshards can only be applied to weapons, so you need a weapliment of some sort.
Okay, that makes sense. May I then assume that if dragonshards are "off the table," there's not much/any point to the Sorceror MC?

Later on,
Ghorrin
Okay, that makes sense. May I then assume that if dragonshards are "off the table," there's not much/any point to the Sorceror MC?

Later on,
Ghorrin

Probably just go with AIP Staff and Staff Expertise to avoid OA's, and accurate staff.
For Gondolin, my StarLock5, I have gotten the standard +RBA equipment package, a dragontoothed Masters Wand of Eldritch Blast, and the feat Arcane Reserves.  (He's a half-elf.)  He must alpha strike all his Encounter powers as fast as possible but then I'm looking at +10 to-hit and damage with Eldritch Blast.  This is competitive with some classes' encounter powers.

When Gondolin reaches L7, he'll have to retrain the feat to Empowering Shadows (+1 damage to all attacks while Shadow Walk is active) because he'll have too many Encounter powers to get rid of before the fight is over.

I haven't looked carefully at equipment beyond about L4 to see what might be useful.  I'll need to do that soon.

While not specifically boosting Eldritch Blast, think about buying all your friends some Unarmed Gauntlets enchanted as Weapons of Shared Wrath.  It's the property, not the plusses, you want: When your friends get bloodied, you get to shoot whoever did it.  An off-turn attack!  (And some bonus DPR.)

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

Let's not forget the nearly essential Called Shot feat, as well as the absolutely incredible Seeker feat Primal Eye.