Playing 4E on a tablet - LITERALLY on a tablet?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you own a tablet device (iPad, Android or otherwise), would you consider using it as your battlemat? That is, placing your physical minis (or tokens, even) on the tablet itself, which has the map on it? Alternately: no minis, you're moving around virtual tokens on the tablet.

In either case, you'd be standing around the tablet device and it's a smaller space to look at / share than a full-fledged battlemat. On the other hand, I like the idea of a DMing kit that consists of my tablet and - nothing else. That'd be neat, but it'd take some work to make that viable.
(If you're not interested in owning a tablet, and have strong opinions about their viability, and if said opinions are divorced from 4e-talk: I must insist your response be no less than ten rambling paragraphs in which you take aim at two of the following: the government, Apple, Microsoft, Wi$zards. Make sure to reply to yourself frequently so that your obsessions dilute the 4e-centric discussions. Thanks!)
honestly?  I haven't jumped on the tablet band wagon.

But...  I would not at all be opposed to it with one caveat.

Tablets are not big enough for me to have an interesting map at a reasonable scale.  At least not in my experience.

However, a tablet large enough to satisfy that need for me would be an expensive and likely unpopular tablet for it's size.

I think I'll wait until there are 3d/holographic tablets.  then I'll be down. 

But if I did own one, and a program was convenient (like maptools only more accessable to the average joe) I would highly consider it.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
Absolutely, but I'd rather an app that lets us run the Virtual Table.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I saw a video last year around the time the Microsoft surface was getting a lot of attention, here's a related link:

techcrunch.com/2010/02/10/hands-on-dd-on...

in short, I'd be all for using it but as MajesticMoose said It should be large enough to support an actual combat. while the iPad or such may be suitable for an inn, I'd rather have a castle

I'd be down with that.  Probably use tokens rather than minis though.  I've got an iPad, but I just don't think its quite big enough for most 4e combat.
Use a tablet as a battlemat? Nope. Too small to fit the party, much less the battle.

And if you were to make the map and minis digital, I still have to say no. At 42, my need-reading-glasses-eyes already have a hard enough time of it with the one-inch deal!.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I would rather have the ability to do everything D&D on the Ipad except the battle map.
If you own a tablet device (iPad, Android or otherwise), would you consider using it as your battlemat?

Consider it? Absolutely. Heck, I've considered it without even owning one. In practice though, I never have battlefields that small.

I've seen DM's use a 32" LCD HDTV's before (hooked to a laptop), but (portability aside) the players pretty much had to stand to see the map very well. Another issue is ease of use: proccuring the maps, messing with the interface, etc. can detract from the game.

However, I'd love to take advantage of the technology once portability, size, visibility and convenience issues are solved.. say if Windows surface tables become wide-spread, and WotC develops software to support them.
Hmm, with today's tech, I'd love to use a 32" LCD embedded in the table as my VTT and all the players control all of thier actions & stuff from their tablet.  All we're really missing to do that now is software.
Hmm, with today's tech, I'd love to use a 32" LCD embedded in the table as my VTT and all the players control all of thier actions & stuff from their tablet.  All we're really missing to do that now is software.

My 47" LC conversion is almost complete.  It will be spectacular. 

A tablet PC is far too small.

Celebrate our differences.

My 47" LC conversion is almost complete.  It will be spectacular. 

A tablet PC is far too small.

Please provide pictures & information on how you'll game with it once it's all done.  I would absolutely love to see something like this in action. 

I would like to see the DM have a laptop/desktop to host, with the players having their own tricorders..I mean tablets to keep track of the action/characters/hp etc.

That would be awesome.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
If you own a tablet device (iPad, Android or otherwise), would you consider using it as your battlemat? That is, placing your physical minis (or tokens, even) on the tablet itself, which has the map on it? Alternately: no minis, you're moving around virtual tokens on the tablet.

In either case, you'd be standing around the tablet device and it's a smaller space to look at / share than a full-fledged battlemat. On the other hand, I like the idea of a DMing kit that consists of my tablet and - nothing else. That'd be neat, but it'd take some work to make that viable.

Sure it it had Maptools functionality at least I would. Until then 24" monitor has to do for me.
Well, it's certainly too small for a normal game.  But I can see it having some merit for a quick pick-up game away from home.  However, for 4e I think it would still be too small to be effective.  If you were running a rules-lite game that didn't rely so heavily on exact positions, area effects, bursts, blasts, etc., then I think it could be a pretty useful tool for showing simple dungeon layouts.
Way too smal of a screen for my taste, esp if you're trying to get 5+GM around it to see.

I don't like the current 4e character apps because of the same issue (not saying they are bad, just too small).

I would however use something like a tablet or (nook/kindle) for D&D eBooks. 

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

Yeah, I'd totally do that if it were a table and not a little tablet. Using a tablet at full scale is like using an 8x10 sheet of paper.

Please provide pictures & information on how you'll game with it once it's all done.  I would absolutely love to see something like this in action. 

This and those are good examples of the possibilities.

The software is already here, plenty of VTTs available.

I don't own a tablet and have no desire to. However, I plan to built a table with LCD TV  built into it and use that to display my battlemaps. Less portable, but much larger screen.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
On a side note, have a tablet (android) and has been most helpful to use to search with the compendium (play on a public place), as well as other stuff, like DMing (saves plenty of paper and ink).
I would use this the way that I use my travel Scrabble kit. If the tablet could contain everybody's character sheet plus notes and keep track of turns, then it would just tell each person who it needs to be passed to next. The person could announce their attacks and then roll dice, and the rolls would be stored so the DM could look at them and determine what happens. (I would rather not have automatic adjudication of rolls such as automatically telling a player if his roll hit his target or something like that. Takes too much freedom away from the DM. A simple die roller will be fine.) You could potentially play Dungeons and Dragons with just a tablet while sitting in the back seat of a car on a roadtrip, or on the bus on the way to school. Since the tablet would be passed around, it's not necessary for the map to be able to contain the entire battle in 1" by 1" squares. It would just center on whosever turn it is currently, and he could zoom out to see other parts of the battlefield if he chose.

However, I don't think it could ever be my primary means of playing if there is a tabletop available.
Sign In to post comments