New Black Planeswalker? Garruk???

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is a daily contest at "wizards.promo.eprize.com/duelsoftheplaneswalkers/". Each day you uncover three pics of planeswalkers and if they match you win. Today for the first time it uncovered the new Liliana of the Veil art and 2 pics of a Planeswalker I have never seen before. He was all in black in an attack stance with long crazy hair like Sarkhan and wore a belt with a buckle pattern just like Garruk Primal Hunter. He was built and looked a lot like Garruk only all in black. Maybe he goes to the Dark Side. (Dark Ascension).Anyone else know about this? It happen so quick i could not get a screen shot hopefully someone else can. Thanks.
Looks like his axe too.

Considering the fact that we know that Garruk is chasing Lilly right now and had been afflicted with some kind of curse that cut him off from green mana (iirc), I think that this is pretty likely. I don't feel like his art really allows him to be a gold planeswalker but he might be green/black anyways.

He is missing his iconic helm though, and we already know of two planeswalkers that are likely black.

We also know that MaRo had a hard time not making a bunch of black cards for the Horror theme and calling it a day. So seems about 50/50 chance that even if he wanted to make 3 black planeswalkers for this set that he wouldn't.
I can see some paint on his arm along the lines of what Garruk's looks like, too. I think that is a blackened Garruk, yes.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

I can see some paint on his arm along the lines of what Garruk's looks like, too. I think that is a blackened Garruk, yes.

Thats awesome thanks guys. Can anyone get a pic. I do this first thing in the morning and was still half asleep and could not get it in time. BTW (to Akusu) what story tells of Garruk losing his connection to Green Mana?
Got the Image. Green Black Garruk!!!
Hmmmmm...Interesting. I wouldn't like if they did a Garruk, though that certainly appears to be what that is, though I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that they weren't going to mess with the iconic colored PWs...though we can see how that worked out. Maybe I was wrong about that.
And there's the Creepy Doll That always follows you It's got a ruined eye That's always open And there's a Creepy Doll That always follows you It's got a pretty mouth To swallow you whole
Garruk infected with lycanthropy?

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

In the Garruk vs. Liliana webcomic, lily curses Garruk...though I don't know if he is cut completely off from green magic, just that his summoning was corrupted. But Later on, Jace helped him out...so...

Anyway, that art is amazing, and the idea of a Garruk is too exciting.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Garruk infected with lycanthropy?

OH MY GOD.  <3
Here's an idea: if we end up with two black planeswalkers being Garruk and Lilliana, what might be the possibility that Sorin 2.0 might be a red or black/red Planeswalker?  We already know that vampires will be B/R, so why not a B/R vampire planeswalker?
While it does, indeed, look like Garruk, it's not the art for his Planeswalker card. That art was just revealed at Gen Con, and now has it's own separate thread.

This will likely be the art for a spell he's casting, or perhaps an alternate art? Not sure.
Garruk would make an awesome werewolf leader.
While it does, indeed, look like Garruk, it's not the art for his Planeswalker card. That art was just revealed at Gen Con, and now has it's own separate thread.

This will likely be the art for a spell he's casting, or perhaps an alternate art? Not sure.

Alternate art = First ever pre-release planeswalker give-away? That would be sweet and a tiny bit possible because of the M12 Bloodlord of Vasgoth.
Alternate art = First ever pre-release planeswalker give-away?

Ajani Vengeant was the first, sorry.

Alternate art = First ever pre-release planeswalker give-away? That would be sweet and a tiny bit possible because of the M12 Bloodlord of Vasgoth.

Ajani Vengeant was First Pre-release
For Ponies Click:

Ajani Vengeant was First Pre-release

Ah, sorry I stopped Magic after Shadowmoor and got back in with Scars of Mirrodin, so I missed out on Alara. Anyway cool, means an alternate art Garruk is a lot more plaussible than I thought.
Got the Image. Green Black Garruk!!!

Garruk!! D: WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU?!?!

He definately looks like he's cursed... But black clothes? Oh please let him stay green. I'm a Garruk nut, please let me think of a deck to play him in!!

On a diffferent note, I think I know what he's screaming...

VESS!! 

Maybe he's broken into ther palace? 

Confirmed to not be for the Planeswalker card?

OR

Not confirmed to be for a Planeswalker card? 

Confirmed to not be for the Planeswalker card?

OR

Not confirmed to be for a Planeswalker card? 

I think neither is confirmed. Its only confirmed that its not the art for his regular release PW card.
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
HOLY CRAP! I just realized something. I'm a bit ashamed it took me all day to realize it but:

+ =

BLACK LANTERN GARRUK! I really hope this is art for a Promo card now. (the reason I was ashamed is cause I work in a Comic Shop, and because Blackest Night was one of my favorite events of all time.)
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
If you look closely, and are not colorblind at all, his clothes are still Green, it's just night time. The thing I find more interesting, is the Black veins surging across his chest. I still don't feel his card will be black at all, but perhaps like someone else said, this is a seperate card outside his Walker card.
Black art =/= Black card. If you disagree, ask everyone who though Elspeth Tirel would be green.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I think this is going to be a black spell (sorcery, instant or aura/enchantment) that just uses art of a Planeswalker to illustrate its effect, in a similar vein to Praetor's Counsel, Distant Memories and Corrupted Conscience.

Liliana's Curse
Sorcery
Target player gets an Emblem that says "Whenever this player would add mana to their mana pool, add that much black mana instead".

Or some sort of kill spell. Or something that weakens creatures you summon. Or something like that.

I doubt its art for Garruk himself, and I doubt it's even for one of his own signature spells.

I also doubt that Garruk will end up being Black - just like how Karn ended up Liberated, despite all these cards showing him under the control of the Phyrexians.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I think this is going to be a black spell (sorcery, instant or aura/enchantment) that just uses art of a Planeswalker to illustrate its effect, in a similar vein to Praetor's Counsel, Distant Memories and Corrupted Conscience.

Liliana's Curse
Sorcery
Target player gets an Emblem that says "Whenever this player would add mana to their mana pool, add that much black mana instead".

Or some sort of kill spell. Or something that weakens creatures you summon. Or something like that.

I doubt its art for Garruk himself, and I doubt it's even for one of his own signature spells.

I also doubt that Garruk will end up being Black - just like how Karn ended up Liberated, despite all these cards showing him under the control of the Phyrexians.

~ Tim

The book never happened >:E. Instead, Karn, Liberated could just mean that he was freed from the shackles of morality and joined the phyrexian cause.

Liliana's Curse
Sorcery

~ Tim

The book never happened >:E. Instead, Karn, Liberated could just mean that he was freed from the shackles of morality and joined the phyrexian cause.

actualy karn has been freed from phyrexia that part wasnt retconned

1) I'm not aware of any retcon at all, so...

2) The difference between Karn and Garruk is that we could not possibly see a Planeswalker Karn infected by Phyrexia, so seeing him as a Planeswalker already means he was purified, and we already knew how he'd act if he was no longer tainted by Phyrexia. In the case of Garruk, he could be corrupted by this black magic and still be a 'walker, so there's not a parallel on which to form any sort of basis.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

From what I could gather, the curse on Garruk cut him off from green mana, but did not seem to take any of his previous powers away. They were just tainted from that point on.

He was still able to summon beasts from the plane he was on as he was able to do previously, its just that the beasts he summoned also happened to be undead, as a result of the curse and black manas influence on him.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

Liliana's Curse
Sorcery

~ Tim

actualy karn has been freed from phyrexia that part wasnt retconned

I choose to believe the book never happened, because it was so horribly written and answered NOTHING. Like, why did Venser's living, beating heart purify Karn the planeswalker made out of silver? Until they make a better book, it can go either way.
He was still able to summon beasts from the plane he was on as he was able to do previously, its just that the beasts he summoned also happened to be undead, as a result of the curse and black manas influence on him.

I thought they were sick, rather than undead?

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
The wiki mentions them being undead.

Although, I dont really keep up with the web-comics so you may be correct.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
I will directly quote John Carmack.  "Story in a game is like a story in a porn movie.  It's expected to be there, but it is not that important".

Maybe WOTC creative team took this quote literally, and did not give a crap about keeping the storyline consistant and canon, that's why we have one thing happening here, and when that event is revisited, a totally different thing happens.

I mean look at Heretic.  Originally, when the game came out in 1994, you were supposed to be a human, but later on, I don't know when, possibly when they released Heretic II, they changed it so that you are now an elf, and that same guy from the first Heretic wasn't a human, but an elf.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
The art does seem black, but equally it seems 'un-green', which is not necessarily the same thing.

How about this:

Garruk the Cursed -
Planeswalker - Garruk
+2: Sacrifice a creature, then put a 3/3 green beast creature token onto the battlefield.
-3: Destroy target creature or land.
-9: Search your library, hand and graveyard for any number of creature and/or land cards and put them onto the battlefield. For each creature card put onto the battlefield this way, sacrifice that many creatures. Then do the same for land cards put onto the battlefield this way.
[4]

EDIT: I've just seen the other Garruk thread. The art there looks very much like the 'woodsman', ie. more .
i really hop that they dont mess with sorins color or garruk

"Do not weep at your defeat my dear in death you serve a greater purpose mine" lord of the undead

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I'm still saying Black Lantern Garruk is where its at. Me and Nekron will be laughing at you puny mortals when i'm proved right.

I am Red/Green
since garruk is a hunter it makes pefect sense to me for him to wearing all black in a world of eternal night... if you were hunting for an evil planeswalker who may or may not be the queen of Innistrad the i think that bright green clothes might stand out just a little bit.
I expect that Liliana is the Prerelease Mythic, the normal art being the one where she's catwalking down the stairs, and the promo art being where she's sitting in the throne.
I expect that Liliana is the Prerelease Mythic, the normal art being the one where she's catwalking down the stairs, and the promo art being where she's sitting in the throne.

I disagree. There's bodies on the floor in the throne pic. I think that's a spell. garruk has two cards where hes by himself in the frame, like how one would appear on a planeswalker card.

I disagree. There's bodies on the floor in the throne pic. I think that's a spell. garruk has two cards where hes by himself in the frame, like how one would appear on a planeswalker card.

Possibly, but the smouldering body in the Throne image is in the background. For a spell, I would expect the art to be more focused on that than her.

Possibly, but the smouldering body in the Throne image is in the background. For a spell, I would expect the art to be more focused on that than her.

Unless it's a spell thats about her, or an enchantment, like what if it's for a spell that's something like sorin's thirst or vengeance, then it would make perfect sense, or maybe it's just art, you know, like they usually do with the image thast comes out with the announcement of a set
@thread:

I don't think the books are considered canon, as Doug Beyer is head of creative and has been directly contradicted by the books in many respects. I think they tell a little bit of the flavour to the author and then leave them to go and write whatever they want. 
I'd bet money he's going to be G/W if not G.