If Modern became an actual format...

297 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would any of you here play it?

Answer with Y/N and reasoning if you can. What deck, why?

Note: PT Philly is now Modern. Congratulations to Extended for finally dying.

Modern banned list

Current banned list:
Ancestral Vision
Ancient Den
Bitterblossom
Chrome Mox
Dark Depths
Dread Return
Glimpse of Nature
Golgari Grave-Troll
Great Furnace
Hypergenesis
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Mental Misstep
Seat of the Synod
Sensei's Divining Top
Skullclamp
Stoneforge Mystic
Sword of the Meek
Tree of Tales
Umezawa's Jitte
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Vault of Whispers

Photobucket

I would play, since it's almost certainly going to be featured in a PT season and at least 1 GP. In terms of deck, wait to see what's being played and build to beat it. I hope it replaces Extended.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
I actually really hope extended is left in the dust.
Photobucket
I will play it, and the decklist options essentially boil down to A) Combo, B) Stoneforge control lists, or C) Stoneforge aggro lists.

Photobucket

I will be playing this format.  I like the idea of an enternal format, but don't really want to deal with the upfront costs fo playing Legacy with all the unreprintable duals and Force of Will and all that crap.  There's more then enough fun stuff in the "modern" sets for me, especially when it means I can run stupid crap like decks based on Sundial of the Infinite or Mishra, Artificer Prodigy that wouldn't stand a chance in the Legacy format.

I can't wait to play Modern.

I'll be dusting off my Shadow of Doubts. Mmmmmm good card is good.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Yes would def play
Look look look you guys need to explain this to me really slowly because I walked in here expecting some stupid format where it was like 1.5 blocks or something really stupid but looking at that list I think I think I do hope oh god do I hope that I just saw the ghost of my precious extended and I mean real extended not this BS they call extended now back from the grave.

So please tell me what Modern is because I am on the verge of happyness induced musical number.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I can't wait to play modern. I've alreadly got a UB control deck ready.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
Only if SFM decks don't dominate (i.e. the hate is good enough or they ban her).
probably what i would play.....

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Worst part is, you can pull off splash colours for caw blade a lot easier. Thoughtseize, Bolt, Helix, Bob are all so attractive for caw blade, and a more stable manabase will be too. 
Photobucket
I literally can't wait for someone to play Stoneforge and respond with my Shadow of Doubt. Or blow out a zoo deck with it.

I'VE MISSED IT YO.

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Look look look you guys need to explain this to me really slowly because I walked in here expecting some stupid format where it was like 1.5 blocks or something really stupid but looking at that list I think I think I do hope oh god do I hope that I just saw the ghost of my precious extended and I mean real extended not this BS they call extended now back from the grave.

So please tell me what Modern is because I am on the verge of happyness induced musical number.

Modern is basically every card printed in core+blocks that have the new card frame.  So 8th edition+.

Read here for the article that lays it out.

AKA, Old Extended (2 years back).

They should just go ahead and ban SFM when they release the format.. and let me have my Jittes back.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I'd definitly play.  The best part is thanks to M12 my Budget Zoo list is almost 100% legal.  A few minor adjustments and I can actually run it in a format were fetching a shock land isn't stricktly worse than what I should be getting with that fetch.

And I agree with Niche.  They should un-Ban Jitte, Jitte isn't the issue, Mytic would be the issue. 
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
My baby is coming back with a vengance!

// Lands
    1 [SHM] Mistveil Plains
    4 [GP] Godless Shrine
    4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
    5 [ZEN] Plains (1)
    2 [EVE] Fetid Heath
    2 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
    3 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
    3 [ZEN] Emeria, the Sky Ruin

// Creatures
    1 [PLC] Crovax, Ascendant Hero
    4 [CS] Martyr of Sands
    1 [SOK] Kagemaro, First to Suffer
    1 [PLC] Necrotic Sliver
    1 [SOK] Ghost-Lit Stalker
    3 [ALA] Ranger of Eos
    1 [BOK] Kami of False Hope
    1 [WWK] Dragonmaster Outcast

// Spells
    2 [LRW] Austere Command
    3 [SHM] Runed Halo
    4 [CFX] Path to Exile
    3 [9E] Phyrexian Arena
    3 [10E] Wrath of God
    3 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
    2 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
    3 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [M10] Silence
SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
SB: 1 [ZEN] Sorin Markov
SB: 1 [ZEN] Felidar Sovereign
SB: 3 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [DIS] Hide/Seek
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Bugh you're gonna have to help me brew some Modern lists.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Wow that ban list is hilariously bad.

Who bans artifact lands affinity has never been a problem in any format with the ability to hate it out effectivly affinity is like the McDonalds of agro decks it's cheap and can get the job done but there will always be better more effective decks that people in the know will play affinity was a big mac while zoo was a steak.

A ban on jitte is just a patch solution sooner or later they just have to go out and ban stoneforge as the card is only going to get better and better the more equipment that is printed jitte.

I still consider top a stupid ban and dredge isn't even a good combo deck anymore with both extripate and cranial extraction in the format I would much rather play hypergensis or living end then dredge.
89522235 wrote:
Bugh you're gonna have to help me brew some Modern lists.

I'll stay up all night Niche and do that this modern thing has gotten my mind buzing I loved Extended like it was my child and really quit magic a while back because they had murderd the format but now I'm back and ready to go.
89522235 wrote:
I'll PM you some stuff so we don't clutter the standard forums...

Although....  VCLs out there... would it be ok for us to talk about Modern in just this thread? There is no forum for it technically... and it might help gauge interest!

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Onslaught is before 8th right? Can't rememeber if it came out between mirrodin and Onslaught.
89522235 wrote:
I'll PM you some stuff so we don't clutter the standard forums...

Although....  VCLs out there... would it be ok for us to talk about Modern in just this thread? There is no forum for it technically... and it might help gauge interest!

I do not really care as long as you keep it civil.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
This is the list I've been testing out, and it's been working fairly well. The only thing I'm looking at right now is ways to fit maindeck land destruction into the mainboard.

Kaalia Rock

Dudes

It's possible to convert the deck into a Doran Rock list, and those lists do fairly well, but they end up being weaker to sweepers or the voltron decks. Also, I've found the bant stoneforge lists to be incredibly vulnerable in the stoneforge mirrors, simply because spell pierce and spell snare have extremely slim windows to even be live cards, not to mention the fact that mental misstep poops all over the bant lists.

Photobucket
Try dropping some night hawks and crusaders and fit some fulminator mage in there would be my guess if you are really dead set on the LD my recommendation for what to take out would be a night hawk 2 crusaders and the single timely reinforcement although you probably know better on what is working in there.
89522235 wrote:
Try dropping some night hawks and crusaders and fit some fulminator mage in there would be my guess if you are really dead set on the LD my reccomendation for what to take out would be a night hawk 2 crusaders and the single timely reinforcement although you probably know better on what is working in there.

Completely forgot about flulminators. Crusaders have to stay, simply because they are such a beating against aggro. But I can definitely drop a nighthawk, a PtE and a timely reinforcement, as well as dropping a stone rain from the side, so I can have 3 maindeck and 1 in the side.

Clearly, people are testing the limits of the manabase in most of their deck right now, so we'll see if I can continue to prey on the incredibly complicated manabases of most lists. But against the voltron and control lists, BBE cascading into a kicked ruinblaster or stonerain is pretty brutal.

Photobucket
Thanks Cage. I'm sure we'll be nice and only post stuff here.

Bugh, its 8th edition and original mirrordin block forward for legality.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Thanks Cage. I'm sure we'll be nice and only post stuff here.

Bugh, its 8th edition and original mirrordin block forward for legality.

Awh there no gifts ungiven wish board.

But still we have gifts back! Need to figure out the most efficent engine in the format then just throw all the goodstuff in and abuse the crazy many base we have at our disposal.
89522235 wrote:
I might try and remake my Doran deck. It was more controlish and ran Bitterblossom. Although I think they need to ban Stoneforge, because this is a broad format and I dont want to see lame Stoneforge lists everywhere lol.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
I might try and remake my Doran deck. It was more controlish and ran Bitterblossom. Although I think they need to ban Stoneforge, because this is a broad format and I dont want to see lame Stoneforge lists everywhere lol.

You won't. Red-based aggro is going to eat stoneforge decks pretty easily, and combo is always going to have a solid chance to win when you essentially give them game 1 against a SFM list. Hell, the weakness to combo is exactly why I switched from a Junk shell to a RBWg shell.

Photobucket
Zoo
Hypergenesis

are the two decks you need to keep an eye on. Hypergenesis in particular looks like its going to get banned.

Seems like my sideboard is going to start with:
4 Meddling Mage
3-4 Firewalkers...
Timely Reinforcements is better.

Edit: Do we see Affinity being a factor at all?
Edit 2: Do you see anything wrong with the list in the OP? 
Photobucket
Terrible, horrific banlist is horrifically terrible. That said...

I am VERY excited aout this format, especially with the rumor that 2012 will feature a return to Ravnica and (hopefully) a shock dual reprint. I don't know that SFM will be that big of a problem, but if the choice is between SFM and Jitte, ban SFM. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

SFM isn't going to be that good because of it's weak combo game and zoo match up the problem is just going to be without affinity to take up the common place agro deck slot you're just going to see SFM everywhere as it's going to be a lot cheaper and easier for people to build because so many already have the deck constructed and don't really need to spend money on the crazy mana base compared to zoo which will rip your wallet to shreds.
89522235 wrote:
If SFM gets banned, I will be so sad, and be forced to play aggro scapeshift or hive mind.
Photobucket
If SFM gets banned, I will be so sad, and be forced to play aggro scapeshift or hive mind.

I don't think it needs to be banned but then I don't think artifact lands need to be banned or jitte or top but knowing Wizards eventually they will just ban it as if they want Modern to become a real format they have to balance for it which means they will never be able to print better equipment as it's crazy with the tools it has now so giving it better tools will just be a train wreck.
89522235 wrote:
Theiz and I have some modern lists, since for a while we went on a modern/overextended rampage.  I'll see if I can dig them up eventually.
Great another format Iam not gonna be abel to play in, I can barly make it for a standard format.
Learn about autocard here ==> [*c]Lightning Bolt[/*c] Remove "*" and you get Lightning Bolt. IMAGE(http://internetometer.com/image/27264.png) Keep extended alive for future generations so they dont have to sell out for modern. "If there is such a thing as too much power, I have not discovered it." —Volrath
I just think the format itself is rather arbitrary in how it decides what's legal and what's not.  However, I can understand, seeing as to how Legacy is dominated by decks that require a second mortgage to aquire.  I've got so many cards that came out prior to Mirrodin that aren't broken, but they'll just be left to do nothing, just sit in their boxes...lonely.  Maybe they should just call it something else, and disallow anything before 4th edition, along with a banlist.

Just a thought. 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

People don't seem to understand that formats that never rotate are probably less money then standard. Why?

Upkeep cost.

Eternal formats: High entry cost, Zero to low upkeep costs [New cards in new sets that might be relevant to your deck]
Standard/rotational formats: Lower entry cost, Higher upkeep cost. [You're entire deck cycles out in 1-2 years time.]

If cost is the thing slowing you down, then slowly buy a deck for an eternal format.

If FNM participation is your kinda thing, look for Limited FNMs. 
Photobucket
Interesting format, but I'll really miss my burning wish board. 

My mono-red deck loses rakdos pit dragon, reckless charge and burning wish. The rest is legal, I believe:

4 X Kiln Fiend          
4 X Magus of the Moon       
4 X Simian Spirit Guide
3 X Grim Lavamancer

4 X Blood Moon

4 X Rite of Flame       
2 X Seething Song
3 X Assault Strobe
4 X Lightning Bolt

18 X Mountain 

Was legacy legal and had solid chances of dropping a lethal 20 with fiend or a moon t1. Do you think it could be reworked or useless? I was thinking maybe the Deus of Calamity for the dragon, but the others are hard to replace methinks.
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
Your deck was out when Extended used to cover mirrodin block onwards. Its called All in Red. You should be able to find some old threads about it.

Also, Rakdos Pit Dragon IS legal. 
Photobucket
Sign In to post comments