Need help Optimizing my Fighter/Swordmage Hybrid

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
A couple of months ago, I found a thread for this build, I got him up to level 5, but for some reason, I cant find the thread again, and I need help in planning him out to say level 13...he is designed more to be an off-tank, but can be the sole tank for our LFR battles if needed.

As stated he is a LFR character.   Below is how I have him built. Any and all assistance is needed and appreciated.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kristoph, level 5
Human, Fighter/Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid) Option: Aegis of Shielding
Hybrid Talent Option: Fighter Armor Proficiency
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Detective (Detective Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 13, DEX 15, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8 
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8  
AC: 20 Fort: 20 Ref: 17 Will: 18
HP: 52 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 13 
TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +11, Endurance +8, Insight +12, Perception +10 
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +2, Intimidate +1, Nature +4, Religion +2, Stealth +4, Streetwise +1, Thievery +4 
POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Shielding
Fighter Attack 1: Crushing Surge
Swordmage Attack 1: Luring Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Shield Riposte
Swordmage Attack 1: Lashing Asp
Swordmage Utility 2: Host of Shields
Fighter Attack 3: Rain of Blows
Fighter Attack 5: Dizzying Blow

FEATSLevel 1: Spear Expertise
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Sideways Defense
Level 4: Ninth Legion Student 
ITEMS
Grasping Trident +2 x1
Mage's Spiked shield +1 x1
Badge of the Berserker +2 x1
Black Iron Scale Armor +1 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Everburning Torch
Oil (1 pint)
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
====== End ======
Is this build?
Strong Safety 
Is this build?
Strong Safety 

Close, but not quite...the one one I saw was a Spear/Trident build.

Thanks though....I am going insane trying to find it, I thought I had a copy of the build out to level 21 in my Character Builder, but when I looked at it last night, I only have him through level 5 or 6.
Huh. There are a lot of choices I'm curious as to why you made them:
The low Int, Sideways Defense, Ninth Legion. It looks like you're doing some sort of Sigil Carver build. But you've sacrificed a lot from the fighter side to essentially gain an encounter long mark. That doesn't seem to be an especially good trade.

I'd think strongly about going with say an 18 Str/16 Int/12 Con/12 Wis/10 Dex/8 Cha

That turns your Swordmage options into valid ones. If you go Draeven Marauder, you'll get a 19-20 crit chance at 11th. 
Sorry, would you explain the point of this build? With that low Int and Con you don't really use the Shielding ability. Lashing Asp is a decent power, but with 13 Con, it deals only one point of extra damage. WTF?

You sacrifice it to get the Dex for Rain of Blows, but that's a once per encounter thing. Not worth it.

You need to decide what you want. Either you're a Str/Dex fighter, then drop the Swordmage, load up on spear goodies. Maybe go Figher/Ranger.

Or, go Assault Swordmage. Boost up your melee basic attack with feats, as both of your Defender features build on it. Boost Int / Str.

If you want to keep the Shielding Swordmage, drop Wis and Dex and boost points into Int and Con. Switch your weapon to one that has Con-based feat support.

Your main problem is that Swordmage and Fighter don't mesh well as hybrids. Swordmage / Warlord would work so much better.