08/03/2011 StF: "The Bloodthirsty Chef"

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
The flavor of most of the bloodthirst creatures is pretty obvious from their name, art, and flavor text.  This fact is good for anyone opening a pack of M12, but bad for this article.
I hadn't noticed that it was Planeswalker blood specifically that these bloodthirst creatures hunger for. Made somewhat confusing by Furyborn Hellkite's flavour text though -why wouldn't his bloodthirst be triggered by any creature on the battlefield? For what it's worth, my explanation is that summoned creatures don't trigger bloodthirst in the way a native creature or planeswalker would.

I like the way bloodthirst vampires contrast with other vampires that have mechanics like lifelink.
It's incredible how much bloodthirst doesn't excite me in any way, shape, or form. It's boring.

Now scry, that was a good ability. It made the game interesting.
At this point, the most interesting aspect of Bloodthirst is that it has brought me a new, playable Minotaur to add to the "Obscure Tribal" collection.  The new croc is a nice addition, but, again, that is purely from a tribal point of view.  I am thoroughly unimpressed by the new vampires. 
It's incredible how much bloodthirst doesn't excite me in any way, shape, or form. It's boring.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I kept wondering what I was missing, but I guess it's just that it doesn't do anything for me. 

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I hadn't noticed that it was Planeswalker blood specifically that these bloodthirst creatures hunger for. Made somewhat confusing by Furyborn Hellkite's flavour text though -why wouldn't his bloodthirst be triggered by any creature on the battlefield? For what it's worth, my explanation is that summoned creatures don't trigger bloodthirst in the way a native creature or planeswalker would.

I was going to say that the link is that bloodthirst creatures are more likely to take a bite out of Planeswalkers, but really it's haste creatures that they should be more worried about.  So yeah, no explanation.

I understand that some folks actively dislike bloodthirst.  I don't understand why it's posted in every single article about bloodthirst ever, though.  Like any mechanic, some people like it and some don't.  I suspect that the target audience for bloodthirst is probably not posting on the message boards, though.
Sorin has the regular black pupils, indicating that he may not have a tapetum lucidum—or maybe they would glow if anyone used flash photography on him instead of painting the guy all the time. Not sure which method sounds safer.

Just to continue the nitpick...

Wouldn't it be somewhat... um... unproductive... to take a flash photo of a vampire? Tongue out

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. White/Blue? Go figure. I'm an L3 Judge!

Agree on both counts. Scry is also a variation on a mechanic that appears a hell of a lot, and it has incredibly generic fantasy flavor. I just assumed they were making it evergreen, as they should have.
Huh. Blown-up art of Carnage Wurm made me realise how much the thing must like bacon.
"Waaah there's a few cards I don't like in the latest set! This game sucks now! Everything should just always stay the same because I'm threatened by change! I'm going to quit! I'm quitting! SOMEONE PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE" - approximately 10% of MtG players on all forums, ever. Read my thoughts, feed my ego! - www.tzaphiel.wordpress.com I'm also a writer! Search for "Gareth Topping" on Amazon!
Sorin has the regular black pupils, indicating that he may not have a tapetum lucidum—or maybe they would glow if anyone used flash photography on him instead of painting the guy all the time. Not sure which method sounds safer.

Just to continue the nitpick...

Wouldn't it be somewhat... um... unproductive... to take a flash photo of a vampire?

That's actually what I was thinking when I got to that part. Maybe Magic's vampires aren't a reflection of normal ficticious vampires. ;)
it's just that we tend to grant planeswalkers a cool epithet in their card name rather than going mononominal, Cher-style.

I do think, like the 'minimal' versions of Lightning Bolt and Day of Judgment that lack flavor text, a 'minimal' planeswalker with just a single-word name would be awesome once in a while. Karn. Koth. I like it. The phyrexians took everthing from Koth. His friends, his family, his plane, his epithet. Now it's just him and his everlasting rage, as on the flavor text of Darksteel Plate.

Though Elspeth has a lot of competition for the mono-white planeswalker "slot" with Gideon Jura and Ajani Goldmane around, she's a great character and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her.

From the planeswalker poster, where the 5 M12 walkers are prominently in the center and Elspeth and Liliana are taking the spotlight left and right (as 'backup' for newcomers Sorin and Gideon in the core set), I'm getting that Ajani is now the third-rate white walker =)

Though Elspeth has a lot of competition for the mono-white planeswalker "slot" with Gideon Jura and Ajani Goldmane around, she's a great character and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her.

From the planeswalker poster, where the 5 M12 walkers are prominently in the center and Elspeth and Liliana are taking the spotlight left and right (as 'backup' for newcomers Sorin and Gideon in the core set), I'm getting that Ajani is now the third-rate white walker =)

Ajani isn't mono-white anymore. Maybe that has something to do with it. I can't say I'm disappointed; I'm really hoping we see Elspeth in the next Core Set.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Ajani isn't mono-white anymore. Maybe that has something to do with it. I can't say I'm disappointed; I'm really hoping we see Elspeth in the next Core Set.

I thought I read somewhere Vengeant was the version before Goldmane >.>

You may be right. I don't read the block novels (My compulsive habit of editing as I go slows the reading pace of those things to a crawl) or the comics, so I don't really know much about 'walker lore aside from what we've seen in the Planeswalker Novels (in which Ajani hasn't shown up yet). I was just going on release dates of the cards, but since time is not linear but is instead a timey-wimey ball, I guess that doesn't work.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

You may be right. I don't read the block novels (My compulsive habit of editing as I go slows the reading pace of those things to a crawl) or the comics, so I don't really know much about 'walker lore aside from what we've seen in the Planeswalker Novels (in which Ajani hasn't shown up yet). I was just going on release dates of the cards, but since time is not linear but is instead a timey-wimey ball, I guess that doesn't work.

Yes, Vengeant is chronologically before Goldmane.  Really, I would have assumed that anyone nerdy enough to be posting here would know that easily.  =P  I'm sure I've seen it written somewhere on the site, but I did read the Alara novel.  He's Vengeant right after his spark ignites; his first planeswalk is from Naya to Jund, where he meets Sarkhan Vol (actually now that I think about it, this was in one of the webcomics too).  Goldmane is supposed to represent him after he's mellowed out a bit.  I guess Lorwyn vacations are pretty relaxing. 

Of course, I guess storyline-wise the planeswalkers generally have access to all their abilities, which makes potentially multicolored planeswalkers like Ajani somewhat awkward as representatives of a single color.  I'm fairly sure he used both his ultimates during the course of the novel.  And I guess this means Lorywn takes place after Shards of Alara or does that even matter?

By the way, what exactly do you mean by "editing" as you go?
By the way, what exactly do you mean by "editing" as you go?

Every time I encounter a grammatical or spelling error I am immediately dropped out of immersion and have to correct it before I can continue. Whether I'm reading for fun or not. When this is happening on average once per page, like with every non-planeswalker Magic novel I've read, it's a painful experience. There is just no flow.

Maybe they've gotten better. I haven't read one since Time Spiral. Though I've read the Amazon reviews of the newer ones and it doesn't seem like they have improved much.
Huh. Blown-up art of Carnage Wurm made me realise how much the thing must like bacon.

*takes another look at it*

...Hang about, is that Sorin fending it off, or is it another white haired, trench coat clad, dude?

*takes another look at it*

...Hang about, is that Sorin fending it off, or is it another white haired, trench coat clad, dude?

Sorin with a beard? =p

Show
Then again, Garruk's new art shows him with a beard too. Perhaps all the Planeswalkers on Innistrad develop beards. And that is the real reason Liliana wanted a veil.
Every time I encounter a grammatical or spelling error I am immediately dropped out of immersion and have to correct it before I can continue. Whether I'm reading for fun or not. When this is happening on average once per page, like with every non-planeswalker Magic novel I've read, it's a painful experience. There is just no flow.

I figured that's what you meant, but I didn't remember encountering any grammatical or spelling errors in the Alara novel.  I'm usually sensitive to grammatical errors, too, so I feel like I would have noticed.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, or the novel wasn't memorable at all (I can barely remember any of the story, either).

The only other Magic novels I've attempted to read were the Guildpact novel and a much older one my old roommate had--I want to say it was called Arena.  I got the Guildpact novel from a fatpack, but I stopped reading because it didn't focus on the Izzet.  I couldn't get through Arena at all because of the horribly transparent writing: "the wizard delivered a psionic attack so powerful that it damaged her as well as her opponent."

Unlike the card artwork, the writing in the Magic novels doesn't seem to have improved much over the course of the game.  I wonder why that is?

Show
Then again, Garruk's new art shows him with a beard too. Perhaps all the Planeswalkers on Innistrad develop beards. And that is the real reason Liliana wanted a veil.

Sign In to post comments