08/03/2011 BoaB: "This Can't Be Real"

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This has to be my favorite deck he's ever assembled. It looks cheap from what I know and it's impressive.

The part that won me over is his pointing out that the way most constructed decks are built, your opponent won't have many more removal options than he would against non-illusion creatures. That's a damn good point.

I'm not typically a fan of this column. I hope he can keep this up. 
Lol i love how this budget deck looks so much better as a illusion themed deck then that crappy thing they call a event deck
I love the deck, however between the Dismembers and the Phantasmal Images it doesn't really fit my budget :/. JVL, I think this has potential.
"Catch!"
Tune in next week when I'll get back to testing with full, detailed match reports following the release of Magic 2012 on Magic Online. I hope you enjoyed this exploration of Illusions in Standard. If you're looking for a budget-friendly and relatively strong deck for the coming weeks, then this may be the right choice for you. I really enjoy the way this deck plays, and I'm sure that I'll be piloting something similar if I play in any local tournaments in the next week.

Does that actually mean we get a full match report, awesome! as i was just about to complain that his match report was smaller than it use to be (from 4 to 2 games).

I don't think that tectonic edge is too good in this deck, but i might be wrong. 
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
I like Grand Architect as a lord in Illusion decks. Not only does it pump all illusion weenies, it also lets you tap your bears and unreals for less fragile finishers like Wurmcoil Engine.
I wasn't comfortable only playing twelve Illusions in the deck, but I didn't want Phantom Beast because it's not a Constructed-quality body.

Well, it's not so much the body (a 4/5 for four is nothing to sneeze at when pumped by some lords), but it's outclassed by Phantasmal Dragon at that spot of the curve, and it's better to add Adaptive Automaton as the deck's only three-drop.

Nice deck.
Lol i love how this budget deck looks so much better as a illusion themed deck then that crappy thing they call a event deck

This was my first thought seeing the list.
This deck seriously needs fewer lands, Halimar Depths and Preordain.
What the?

4 x preordain
4 x ponder

Not all cards are created equal, and multiples are necessary. Dont you want to draw the three good cards (bear, lord, image) in every game?
On that same note, Gitaxian Probe.
This deck seriously needs fewer lands, Halimar Depths and Preordain.

Having made the deck I can agree. Deck doesn't need many lands, and Halimar Depths and Preordain can really help smooth out the draws. Only problem it has is that lands that come into pay tapped aren't as good in aggro decks, but even then I've found it to work well enough.

On that same note, Gitaxian Probe.

Yea, you'd honestly think the card was made for this deck since it's so perfect here.
I echo all except with a couple caveats.  First, it really isn't imaginative at all to build a tribal deck when there is an exceptionally powerful lord and only five different illusions to choose from.   That said, he did say that this was an obvious build, so that's fine.  But why only two games...only one game against two different decks?!  The deck is much cheaper than others that he has run and seems competitive.  One intersting thing is that he includes Into the Roil into nearly every deck he runs, it is playable, just interesting how he includes certain cards in nearly every deck.  It's interesting the pet cards people have   Also, I echo the sentiment that the deck should run at least some draw.  That's the first thing I noticed, the obvious exlusion of any sort of card draw.
Aether figment is still in standard for a month, and it is my favorite illusion of all.
Random Thought : Tumble Magnet rapes this deck, provided that your opponent playing it can keep Lord of the Unreal away from the table. You're lucky it isn't played a lot anymore.

What the? 4 x preordain 4 x ponder Not all cards are created equal, and multiples are necessary. Dont you want to draw the three good cards (bear, lord, image) in every game?

Every blue deck must start with 4x Preordain as long as it's legal. This is the first fix I'd make. Ponder, on the other hand, isn't worth it unless you have a lot of shuffle effects; if you happen to have the 8 blue fetches you may consider it, but even then I wouldn't.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

Well done. A great jump off for a cheap effective deck on a super cheap budget. $50 or less if you've opened no packs ever.

And for next week, Merfolk Looter + Grim Lavamancer = delicious. Theres quite a few cheap red/blue budget strategies to look at here and most of them are pretty exciting when they go off.

one correction to the article. if you play a phantasmal image copying lord of the unreal, it will be a 4/4, not a 3/3, assuming you have no other copies of lord of the unreal out, no grand architect out, and no adaptive automaton naming illusion as it's creature type
*qualification: "copying your own lord of the unreal"

if you copy your opponent's lord of the unreal, your phantasmal lord of the unreal will be a 3/3 (assuming you have no other pump for it)
the issue with lord of the unreal is that it is not an illusion in itself, which is what i think stops it from being in the league with lord of atlantis, and of course, the far simmilar scion of oona. 
Disappointing article.  Usually the BoaB decks build something more unique, something that wasn't basically made by the set designers.  A standard tribal deck tends to build itself and a straight up illusions deck is not an exception.

I agree with those that said less lands, could use halimar depths (especially with deprive to bounce it) and that it would benefit from Preordain.
No Grand Architect or Phyrexian Metamorph? Both are cheaper than Dismember. And Architect even lets you tap the Illusions you've played this turn to pay for Adaptve Automaton. Summoner's Bane is just terrible. Even Spell Pierce or Negate would be better in that spot.
In the game DotP2012 the most powerful card in the "Illusion" deck is the Krovikan Mist. If they were still standard... this would the deck to beat, imo.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Tune in next week when I'll get back to testing with full, detailed match reports following the release of Magic 2012 on Magic Online. I hope you enjoyed this exploration of Illusions in Standard. If you're looking for a budget-friendly and relatively strong deck for the coming weeks, then this may be the right choice for you. I really enjoy the way this deck plays, and I'm sure that I'll be piloting something similar if I play in any local tournaments in the next week.

Does that actually mean we get a full match report, awesome! as i was just about to complain that his match report was smaller than it use to be (from 4 to 2 games).

I don't think that tectonic edge is too good in this deck, but i might be wrong. 

I think the Tectonic Edge is to give it a fighting chance against Valakut. That's what I play in my budget deck for that match-up.

Anyway, I didn't notice a difference in his match reports this time versus the past. Aside from the fact that he only played one game against each deck, the level of details seemed the same.

Truth be told, and I know this has been said before, I'd rather he go into less detail in favor of more games against more decks. Maybe tell us just:
1) If he lost or won
2) Which cards from his deck were most valuable in that match-up
3) Which cards he wished he had, sideboard or otherwise
4) Which cards from the enemy deck were bad for him

Testing against two decks and only two decks is not a good sample size. It may have worked back when Caw-Blade was the only deck around, and thus all you had to test against, but that's not the case anymore.

Finally, I'm of the firm belief that the entire purpose of playtesting is to see what works and what doesn't and then to tweak the deck accordingly. Seeing the playtesting be the very last thing in his article every week really makes me sad. All he seems to use them for is to tell you when to sideboard in which cards, and he doesn't need sample games to tell us that.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I've build the deck but with 20 lands, 4 Ponder, Mind Control and See Beyond. It is fast, impressive and fun to play!
I echo much of what has already been said:

Not original (but we were warned, it's true)
why are the preordains/ponders not here? because from my point of view it looks like your main goal is to "combo" the Phantasmal Image into your Lord of the Unreal !!
Why into the roil? Wouldn't frost breath be better in this deck?
I also agree with the comment that testing should never be the last word, testing is only the beggining of a deck...

but what gets me the most is: this is bloodthrist week!! where is the bloodthrist budget deck?????Surprised 

anyway, enjoyed the article

PS: why not bloodthrist!!!???? I don't understand!!!! 
Into the Roil trumps Frost Breath because it hits non-creatures (most importantly Tempered Steel or Birthing Pod or Gravitational Shift), plus it can provide card draw.
I echo much of what has already been said:

but what gets me the most is: this is bloodthrist week!! where is the bloodthrist budget deck????? 

anyway, enjoyed the article

PS: why not bloodthrist!!!???? I don't understand!!!! 

Read the Limited Information column this week.  Bloodthirst sucks in standard.  You can make a budget deck off it, but what's the point.  It's not a contender.  Not yet anyway.

Doesn't anyone realize this isn't quite a budget deck?

4 automotons and 4 lords and 3 dismembers is already 40-50 bucks worth of cards.

Granted everything after those are just a few cents. It seems that these cards while not tier 1 standard, are getting scooped up by collectors and casual players and are driving up the prices on them.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
That is acttually fairly budgeted for competitive standard.
Are there any defences besides counters againt day for aggro decks? 
I used to run Tukatongue Thallid in my mono-green stompy deck back when it was legal, and you can always include regenerators like River Boa. Short of that... depressingly little, and even that is either roated, too weak, or just doesn't slot in anywhere good.
Darksteel Plate, perhaps. That also makes your blockers much better. Then again it sucks with illusions.
Darksteel Plate, perhaps. That also makes your blockers much better. Then again it sucks.

Fix'd.

L1 Judge

Darksteel Plate, perhaps. That also makes your blockers much better. Then again it sucks.

Fix'd.

It doesn't suck! It gives me another shiny card to add to my collection of armors, right up there with Magebane Armor and Argentum Armor. Such nice art...

Oh, did you mean you wanted to put it in your deck? Yeah, you're right, it doesn't make the cut.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I don't like these articles, because for me all of them look faked.

In the first game, his opponent attacked with a Fauna Shaman... how stupid do you have to be to do this? If you're running a slower combo deck... and you're pushed down your life total, you won't waste your only option for a victory for minor 2 damage. Keep your opponent in believe that you could use him for a Deceiver Exarch or worse or at least to be able to block his Unreal - Master Chief.
And what a lucky circumstance that your opponent only draws a Solemn Simulacrum and no other more destructive creature....

In the second game - just another perfect example of a "faked" win result, you were lucky enough to have 2 Tectonic Edge cards in your hand and your opponent didn't do anything but casting Timely Reinforcements. He must have seen the first Tectonic Edge!! I call this a "gold fish" game. And what does he do, when you attack his Jace? - He doesn't blocked the Master Chief of Unreal., but  your walking coke automat...

I would have NEVER attacked Jace in this situation, since at that point Jace isn't different to a weaker form of Divination with rebound instead. So if you can connect to your opponent at this point, any extra damage would be essential in case of a Day of Judgment And personally, I would have activated the first tectonic Edge much earlier, since your 3 starting Islands and your speed advantage gave you reasons to fear a Judgment nontheless. So if your opponent would have drawn a Plains instead of a Celestial Colonnade, you would have lost the match.

Just imagine a game without drawing the Unreal - Master Chief and/or the 1-drop illusion. Then you have a horribly weak deck.

BTW: A "gold-fish game" is a game where your opponent doesn't causes any interactions... a game where your opponent's actions are irrelevant... a game that's good for testing the best possible szenario for your deck. It's good to see, if you could keep up the pressure, if you draw enough lands, etc.
Yeah, unfortunately, these things have popped up in the past. His readers gave him hell once because he "played" a cryptic command in one of his match reports when it wasn't in the deck (and not budget). It rose concerns/questions to the legitimacy of his articles/brews, but honestly, I believe the majority of his articles are a good read. I do agree that some of his games are very much the "perfect" match for testing purposes, and that they seem like they're "fake". However, who knows, some odd **** happens during games sometimes, so there's a chance (most likely) that these match reports are legitimate. :P