Concept for campaign

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Our last campaign was in a winter world, the next one is Tiamat vs Bahmut. I'm supposed to run the game after that, and I want something a bit lighter and, well, sunnier. So here's what I'm thinking.

Pirates. Well ... privateers. Our adventurers have a small ship and do salvage as well as the usual sort of missions - passengers and whatnot. They use a couple of rituals to raise salvage from the sea. I'll get 'em to roleplay the various jobs aboard ship, and vote for captain and first mate - who get bonus xp > . Bonus xp also, for talking like a pirate.

They become aware of Capt'n Sloughy's treasure, which is reputed to be ... pretty sizable. It also seems that to find Capt'n Sloughy's treasure, they'll need the help of Capt'n Sloughy's daughter.

Well, eventually they find a note to the effect that there's a wreck that has something to do with Capt'n Sloughy's daughter. The scan with the long-range detect magic ritual detects something majorly magical below. There is a wreck down there - the good ship (umm) Felicity, which it turns out *is* Capt'n Sloughy's daughter.

Raising it is a challenge and an adventure. Most of the ship is rotted away, but the keel and the spars are made of some odd wood bound with odder metal and engraved with some seriously mind-altering runes. Felicity was a planar dromond, and her keel is salvageable.

But not in good shape. It can't make a full planar hop, but can manage a jump when planes are in approximate connjunction (ie: the players cant just jump anywhere, dammit). I'm thinking that making a planar jump should involve singing a sea shanty. Everyone at the table in pirate hats - headscarf and an eyepatch will do.

"Well Capt'n Sloughy's daughter
she's a wicked lass to please
we'll trim her up and tie her down
a sailor's life at sea

(chorus)
And its nor'b'norwest 59
Erith ipendu see
Ekaym alinga mortiboy
A sailor's life for me!"

The chorus, of course, is what activates the ship - the ship's navigator has to work out that first line . Need something a little less cringeworthy for the nonsense "magic words".

Anyway.

I'm thinking that Capt'n Sloughy's treasure is the orb, scepter, and crown of the farie king. The farie queen, of course, would prefer than these *not* be recovered, as she and the king do not get on all that well.

The orb is somewhere in the feywild, hidden by the queen.

Capt'n Sloughy has the crown. He's a majorly powerful abberation, who has made for himself a pocket plane. (He's not on Xoriat, becauyse a visit there would instantly send everyone completely insane).

And the scepter - well, the scepter is the keel of the Felicity itself.

So.

Need to look into the Spelljammer campaign background.

Need to figure out how to construct quests that will a) provide enough loot for the repait of the Felicity but b) not ion a form such that the player's spend it all on gear.

Need to construct missions that are at sea. I don't want the ship to be just transport from one dungeon to the next.

Boarded by pirates. Attacked by saughain (or equivalent).
Salvage.
Charting an uncharted body of water.
And, of course, navigating to the next planar conjunction.
Shady characters in dockside bars, with info on Capt'n Slaoughy's treasure.
Investigating why the city mermaid no longer sings at sunset.
What happened to all the fish? (someone is doing illegal long-line fishing)

Say - the real-life activities of Sea Shepherd might give a little inspiration.

Rules for naval combat?

I have some ideas for off-plane navigation involving non-eucledian geometry.

Make it a bit nonlinear. Players can't jumnp just anywhere, but try to give them options - head to point A, time t1 for a jump to the astral sea, point B, time t2 for a jump to a relatively stable watery part of the primal chaos.

Perhaps use a state transition diagram with compound states? I've always wanted to try it in a game.
Consider getting the Stormwrack book for naval combat. A mission to bring relief to town with plague?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

"Well Capt'n Sloughy's daughter
she's a wicked lass to please
we'll trim her up and tie her down
a sailor's life at sea

(chorus)
And its nor'b'norwest 59
Erith ipendu see
Ekaym alinga mortiboy
A sailor's life for me!"

The chorus, of course, is what activates the ship - the ship's navigator has to work out that first line . Need something a little less cringeworthy for the nonsense "magic words".

Perhaps the "magic words" could be things from the Spelljammer campaign setting, rather than nonsense words.

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer