Wizard Power Questions From Last Night's Game

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
We had a couple of wizard power questions come up in last night's session.  Many thanks to any who can shed some light...

1. It seems like Twilight Falls is really easy to defeat in most situations? any creature not in the origin can just step out of the zone before making their next attack in order to avoid the penalty.  Do I have that right?

2. Are creatures who are inside the Grease zone and attempting to move across it immune from the attack because they do meet the description 'creature enters zone'?

thanks!

Lessee here

Twilight Falls
You weave draining shadow energy into an oppressive gloom that dims your enemies’ senses.
Encounter       Arcane, Implement, Nethermancy, Psychic, Shadow, Zone
Standard Action     Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each enemy in the burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage. If the target is in the origin square, the target is also dazed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. When any enemy in the zone attacks a creature, the creature has
partial concealment against that enemy.

any creature not in the origin can just step out of the zone before making their next attack in order to avoid the penalty.  Do I have that right?

Yes.  As a controller, your role is get enemies to do what you want.  Here, they need to leave the zone or else suffer the penalty, so you can place the zone strategically to get enemies to move where you want them to.  (Aside: wow, six keywords)

Grease
Slippery oil floods the ground under your foes, sending them tumbling to the ground.
Daily        Arcane, Implement, Zone
Standard Action      Area burst 2 within 10
Effect: The burst creates a zone of slick grease that covers all horizontal surfaces until the end of the encounter. The zone is difficult terrain. You can use the Grease Attack power, using a square within the zone as the origin square.

Grease Attack
At-Will      Arcane, Implement, Zone
Free Action      Close burst 1
Requirement: The Grease power must be active to use this power.
Trigger: A creature enters the zone
Target: The triggering creature in the burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex 
Hit: You knock the target prone. 
Miss: You slide the target 2 squares. This movement does not trigger this power’s attack.

Are creatures who are inside the Grease zone and attempting to move across it immune from the attack because they do meet the description 'creature enters zone'?

They are not immune to the attack, but they don't trigger it.  The best use of this power, since the zone lasts for the entire encounter, is to put it somewhere where creatures will be entering from or fleeing to.  Also note that when allies enter the grease zone, you can use the Grease Attack, which means you don't have to (and you most likely won't want to)

thanks!

I hadn't thought of using twilight falls to get enemies out of the area but rather to try and affect as many of them as possible with the penalty.  Explanation makes sense. 

I'm not following the statement that they are 'not immune'.  If they don't trigger it then it can't be used against them.  So for example putting grease down on some archers tho are perfectly happy to stand in one place is probably not a good idea.

Interesting idea about using it on allies though.  If an ally was making a mad dash for something and didn't mind being prone at the beginning of their next turn you could use the attack to give em an extra 2 free squares of movement

Is 4E magical grease non flammable?  Not quite as bad as a magic missle that could miss but still wtf lol 
No problem!

Those archers can be subject to the attack if they leave the zone and re-enter later (that's what I meant by 'not immune').  Wizards quite often have powers that push, pull and slide people around so it could be easy to get those archers out of the zone, and then move so that they have to enter it if they want clear shots and/or to get back into range.

Is 4E magical grease non flammable?

By default, yes.  Ask your DM about this though as he may allow you to turn the zone into short 'fiery deathtrap' if you ask nicely enough.  

Not quite as bad as a magic missle that could miss but still wtf lol

It's not your 'deadly damage' daily at all, but it has its potential to cause enemies a lot of grief.  I've never seen a wizard take it, personally, but maybe someone out there can recap an encounter this spell was used to great effect ;)      Oh, and in case you have not seen the revised version, Magic Missile does not miss anymore!

Is 4E magical grease non flammable?

By default,  spells only do what the mechanics say they do (regardless of fluff), and this one does not detail the possibility of fire. That said, you can always ask you DM if you can light it on fire via the DMG p.42 stunt rules. You could also maybe just describe one of your other attacks as lighting a greased opponent on fire.

Magic Missile does not miss anymore!

It doesn't hit anymore, either.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
> Is 4E magical grease non flammable?

As has been noted, the fluff is mutable - your "grease" spell could be coating the area with butter, black ice, or banana peels rather than 'grease' the substance.
I have seen a Wizard drop Grease with his square as the center of the zone.  If any monsters tried to get near him, he could get them away or prone them.  Until they changed the Salves of Power, that was a per encounter tactic...
It is best to think of 4th Edition powers as representations, and ignore the fluff descriptions.  They are balanced and built based on the specific things they say, not on the fluff text.  I often remake the fluff of a power to fit the RP of the person using the power.
I have seen a Wizard drop Grease with his square as the center of the zone.  If any monsters tried to get near him, he could get them away or prone them.  Until they changed the Salves of Power, that was a per encounter tactic...

They did, Salves work on encounter powers, not dailies now.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Sign In to post comments