Anyone noticed that the guy cracking Infero Titan wins his sealed pool w/ alarming regularity?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I noticed this! There's a good lesson here somewhere...
trying to disguise another shuffler thread? :p
proud member of the 2011 community team
Congratulations, you have just discovered "bombs".
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Welcome to limited magic!
I noticed this! There's a good lesson here somewhere...

Actually there are five lessons here. Ill clarify;
1) This belongs in the paper-forum.
2) As opposed to bad players, good players more often get to play their good cards. This stems from the whole apparatus of skills a better player has. Like mana-base stuff, quicker adapt aggro/defensive stance to endure long enough for the game-winners to arrive etc...
3) Adding cards. Good cards have a greater chance of being added than bad cards. And since Inferno Titan is a good card...
4) The strength of the card Inferno Titan is too large.
5) There are 5 lessons, not 1.

=)
Yes, edited =)

honestly, back when m11 hit mtgo, in one of my limited pools, i did crack a inferno titan. the rest of my pool was both horrid in red and if this was a draft, i think he came in pack three, maybe even passed to me. i then smashed together whatever crud red cards i could, just to justify a red splash and his double red mana requirement. i did not win the event, but i made it past the first round. and every game he came out i did win; even had one guy conceed when he hit the board. the games i lost were mostly ones where i couldnt find him in time, or had mana/colour issues that were opposed to what drew.

even so, i still learned a few lessons there.
I think the lesson here is "core set sealed is bad".

That was my take away from

turn 4 serra turn 5 sun titan game 2

turn 4 serra turn 5 inferno titan game 3

I learned that I cant win core sets no matter what I do.

Seriously ACR had over a 1950 rating basically from 1 month in all the way till m10 released... m10 comes out I lose 200 points in a week on said rating.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
serra angel

i still *cry a lil when i saw serra die, and then died myself shortly thereafter.

i hear you. sometimes you have those games/matches, pools or whole events that for everything and anything you do, your opponent has an answer.

Seriously ACR had over a 1950 rating basically from 1 month in all the way till m10 released... m10 comes out I lose 200 points in a week on said rating.

I think the lesson here is "draft adequate removal" AND don't use it on the first grizzly bear that hits the board.

Any bomb can be removed if you play your cards right. 
The lesson here is that bobus claims he is experienced but proves the opposite with every other post he makes...
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
I don't like sealed in general because it feels too swingy, but I've honestly felt this way about every sealed format since the switch to 6-pack sealed. Some people do consistently well enough in the formats, still, to convince me there's a lot I could be doing better, but I just can't see past all the times I get bowled over by the Titan that even when I kill, he has Rise from the Grave and then Call to Mind + Rise from the Grave for. :Y
The lesson here is that bobus claims he is experienced but proves the opposite with every other post he makes...

This bit was a joke from my online M12 prelease. In offline magic, you occassionally get incompetant people who get great pools, and manage to lose anyway. I remember having to convince someone during the Worldwake prerelease that Tideforce Elemental was in fact a decent card he should be playing in his already blue deck. But with online magic, pretty much everyone has a baseline of competence, so it wasn't a suprise that the person who opened Inferno Titan and Mind Controlx2 won the prelease without losing a game.

I think the lesson here is "draft adequate removal" AND don't use it on the first grizzly bear that hits the board.

Any bomb can be removed if you play your cards right. 

was that you trolling? I wonder why you felt the need to troll me.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
I must be doing something wrong*, then...I opened Inferno Titan at the prerelease and went 2-3.

Then again, I only drew it twice...and the second time, my opponent just untapped and said "You're at 9? Okay...land, Fireball you for 9."

*For anyone who knows me, 'doing it wrong' is pretty much my modus operandi.
I'm not that great at draft, I only make it to the second round in 4-3-2-2 about half the time and the final round almost never, in Swiss I go either 1-2 or 2-1, once in awhile even 0-3.  In fact, the only draft I've ever won in roughly the sixty or so drafts I've done was one where I cracked an Inferno Titan.  One of the handful of drafts that I made it to the final round and lost was the other draft where I cracked an Inferno Titan (lost the final match 1-2, didn't draw the Titan in the two losses).  
Heh, heh  perhaps I should change the orignal post just to say the player who opens Titan(s) wins their sealed pool with alarming regularity. I opened a sealed pool for the M12 online release that had Royal Assassin Gideon's Lawkeeper'sx2 Sun Titan and Aegis Angel among other solid black and white cards. I thought I had a 4-0 deck, but had to settle for 3-1 when the guy I lost to in round 3 (the one who won the whole thing) had both Frost Titan and Mind Control. In addition, the guy I beat in round 2 and went on to go 3-1 told me his deck had a Grave Titan

It takes me back to Alara block when I made the top 4 in a draft where everyone in the top 4 drafted at least one copy of Behemoth Sledge 
Sign In to post comments