Preordain or Ponder?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have a MTG group on Facebook. One of my friends actually tried to argue with me, claiming Preordain was better than Ponder. I'm like...freaking how? It's so obsurd. Then again, I'm not all MTG pro and play in tournies like he does. So I'm thinking maybe there's some sort of professional opinion that I can't comprehend. Can anyone here argue for Preordain?
ponder is an all or nothing deal.  If you want one of the cards, you gotta take ALL of them.  Preordain lets you pick and choose what you want.

preordain > ponder.  Why would you think otherwise?

You pick what you want with Ponder too. I understand you lose the options of putting unwanted cards on the bottom of your deck, but you can still shuffle the three cards into your deck and simply draw. Plus looking three cards into the future is better than one and/or two.

There was a thread on this a while back that you might want to read.

Folks seemed to more or less agree that Ponder is better IF you're running 8 or more shuffle effects so that you can have the option to draw the top card, but shuffle away the other 2.  I'll point out that there will be times when you can't do that, and so then your Ponder will function as an inferior Preordain.  And even using the shuffle effects in conjunction with Ponder can be awkward sometimes.

Combo decks also like Ponder because you get more chances to find the card you need. 

Islands prefers Ponder, but he tends to be a combo player.  Kedi likes Ponder, but he is always looking for a specific card; he seem to want a tutor, but he's only willing to pay U.    Glux prefers Preordain, and so does BF. 

That's how I remember it. :-)
Attitude reflects leadership. Vindicated! * HawkBlade is aggro/control! * Post-ban HawkBlade! * Jace, the Mind Sculptor is good! * End-of-Lorwyn TurboFog! ‘Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again.’ – André Gide '...but if you're repeating yourself in an online forum, chances are you're just feeding a troll.' - Rat Bastardsen
Ponder if you want something this turn or if you have access to enough shuffling.  Preordain if you care about turns other than this one and aren't running lots of shuffle.

Personally, I prefer Preordain, more universally useful.

I'm a preordain guy.  That said, most people here are spot on.  If you're a combo deck you most likely want ponder.  If you have a million shuffle effects you probably want ponder.  Otherwise I stick with preordain.
Preordain is so much better unless you are playing legacy and with it 8+ Fetches.
Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7
If you just want generally improved draws, then Preordain is better.

If you are seeking a particular card, you want Ponder, but then only if your deck has a decent number of shuffling effects so you don't trade that single card for two dud draws every time. While both are legal, combo decks want both Preordain and Ponder anyway, so it's sort of a moot point. In almost every other deck in the format, you prefer generally better draws to drawing a particular card, so Preordain is typically the superior.
Preordain is much better. I have an issue with Ponder in that if you shuffle, chances are you will not draw what you want. Now, the same thing is true with Preordain if you put both cards on the bottom, but in that case you just hid two cards you don't want, and unless you shuffle again, you won't be seeing them. Ponder, there is no such guarantee, they could end up back on top by sheer chance. 

In addition, as mentioned, Ponder is an all or nothing, Preordain lets you pick and choose. 

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many
If you are playing control, preordain no question.

If you are playing pyromancer... both.   
To be honest I am leaning towards ponder myself.  I understand the scry effect from preordain is great, but I really like how ponder works.  This is just my opinion but often control decks are looking for specific cards (whether its a combo or a finisher), of which they only have 3-4 in the deck.  Ponder gives you a better chance of getting that finisher to take out the opponent.  Yea, you might get two other draws you don't want, but the important thing is getting the card you need to win.  Ponder does that better than preordain.

But anyways, it really is a moot point.  A lot of control decks run both cards, and soon enough preordain will be gone so you really won't have a choice.
To be honest I am leaning towards ponder myself.  I understand the scry effect from preordain is great, but I really like how ponder works.  This is just my opinion but often control decks are looking for specific cards (whether its a combo or a finisher), of which they only have 3-4 in the deck.  Ponder gives you a better chance of getting that finisher to take out the opponent.  Yea, you might get two other draws you don't want, but the important thing is getting the card you need to win.  Ponder does that better than preordain.

But anyways, it really is a moot point.  A lot of control decks run both cards, and soon enough preordain will be gone so you really won't have a choice.

Control isn't generally digging for a finisher. Its generally digging for card quality and card advantage. If you can control the quality of your hand, and your draws, then its a better control card. Preordain does that. Lets you dig two, then filter out anything you dont want to see.

Ponder on the other hand, is for digging for specific cards, and the extra card deep there is relevant, however, if you peel 3 bad cards, or 2 bad/1 good, you cannot control the quality of your next draws. Its either you take all, or nothing, and thats a bad situation. 
Photobucket
Sign In to post comments