Level 11 Eladrin Knight - Glimmering Blade and Evermeet Warlock

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Magnaelf

Inspired by BAMF, a teleporter's guidebook and the Knight guide, I've created a level 11 Eladrin Knight that uses the free adjacent teleport from Glimmering Hands and the Evermeet Warlock Paragon Path level 11 feature Feywild Wake to make a knight that constantly hits and disappears from sight, making a Catch-22 for his victims.

Add in Forceful Opportunist for a push (and follow) on all his opportunity attacks, Hindering Shield to slow on all those pushes, World Serpent's Grasp to prone slowed targets and Hammer Shock to add a painful penalty to hit on all his frequent MBAs, and you've got a brutal combination.

Once he hits you, he teleports to another spot adjacent and becomes invisible. From there, the enemies options are unpleasant:

• Try to hit him with a -7 penalty

• Try and hit an ally with a -4 penalty, get hit in the face with a hammer, pushed/slowed/proned/shocked

• Shift, get hit in the face with a hammer, pushed/slowed/proned/shocked

• Move (while slowed), get hit in the face with a hammer, pushed/slowed/proned/shocked

Add in the fact that after the first hit they're likely prone as well and now it's -9 to hit him, -6 to hit his allies with melee, they have to stand up before they can shift or move or try to crawl away and get hit anyway. Depending on how he herds his enemies with his pushes he can lock down multiple enemies this way, and his MBA deals a decent 1d10+13 with +17 to hit (not including near-constant CA), not bad for a defender. Here's the build:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Semash, level 11
Eladrin, Fighter (Knight), Evermeet Warlock
Knight Option: Shield Finesse
Knight Weapon Specialization Option: Staggering Hammer
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 12, DEX 18, INT 22, WIS 11, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 13

AC: 28 Fort: 20 Ref: 25 Will: 20
HP: 97 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +7, Endurance +11, Insight +12, Intimidate +12, Stealth +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +13, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +13, Nature +5, Perception +7, Religion +11, Streetwise +7, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
Fighter Attack: Battle Guardian
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Fighter Attack: Glimmering Blade
Fighter Utility: Defend the Line
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility: Battle Wrath
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Utility 6: Dauntless Endurance
Fighter Utility 8: Shield Block
Fighter Utility 10: Iron Defiance

FEATS
Shield Finesse
Level 1: Melee Training (Intelligence)
Level 2: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Hammer)
Level 6: Forceful Opportunist   |   Mark of Storm
Level 8: Toughness [retrained at 11 for Hindering Shield]
Level 10: Pact Initiate
Level 11: Hammer Shock
Level 11: Hindering Shield

ITEMS
Battering Warhammer +3   |   Lightning Warhammer +3
Razor Shield Heavy Shield (heroic tier)
Amulet of Protection +2
Shadowdancer's Gloves (paragon tier)
Dwarven Plate Armor +2
Bracers of Mighty Striking (paragon tier)
Acrobat Boots (heroic tier)
Casque of Tactics (heroic tier)
Potion of Healing (heroic tier) x5
====== End ======

Slight question - the CB won't let me take Forceful Opportunist, even though he is a Fighter (Knight) and their level 3 class feature is Weapon Talent. Am I right in thinking I can still put that in there? Alternative means of getting slow on MBAs besides Defend the Line would be fine as well.

Please, let me know what you think.

EDIT: Replace Forceful Opportunist with Mark of Storm and Lightning Weapon for slides instead of pushes for those who allow Eberron material. Better control that way as well - easier to manage multiple mobs.

EDIT: Added a half-elf Eldritch Strike/White Lotus Master Riposte alternative.
I think this might actually be better!

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Regath, level 12
Half-Elf, Fighter (Knight), Evermeet Warlock
Knight Option: Spinning Deflection
Knight Weapon Specialization Option: Bludgeoning Staff
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Arcane Implement Proficiency Option: Arcane Implement Proficiency (Staff)
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Heartless Mercenary (Acrobatics class skill)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 23, DEX 17, INT 11, WIS 9, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 18, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 11

AC: 28 Fort: 27 Ref: 23 Will: 21
HP: 104 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Endurance +17, Intimidate +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Athletics +4, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +6, Insight +9, Nature +5, Perception +7, Religion +6, Stealth +7, Streetwise +8, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Fighter Attack: Battle Guardian
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Fighter Utility: Defend the Line
Fighter Utility: Measured Cut
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility: Battle Wrath
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Acrobatics Utility 2: Agile Recovery
Fighter Utility 8: Shield Block
Fighter Utility 10: Iron Defiance
Evermeet Warlock Attack 11: Blinding Beacon
Evermeet Warlock Utility 12: Feylights

FEATS
Level 1: Student of Malediction
Level 2: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 8: White Lotus Evasion
Level 10: White Lotus Riposte
Level 11: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 12: Versatile Master

ITEMS
Shadowdancer's Gloves (paragon tier) x1
Dwarven Plate Armor +2 x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (paragon tier) x1
Casque of Tactics (heroic tier) x1
Staff of the Traveler +2 x1
Rushing Cleats (heroic tier) x1
Amulet of Protection +3 x1
====== End ======

White Lotus Evasion lets you shift (teleport with Staff of the Traveler) 1 square as a minor after a successful basic melee (which they'll do lots of). This takes the place of Glimmering Blade, and if I had a spare feat I'd make it Master Evasion as a free action so I could do it on enemy turns, but it's not vitally important.

Every time you hit an enemy, you teleport to another spot next to them and disappear, setting up a Catch-22.

They attack an ally with -2 to hit, they take Eldritch Strike to the face, slid, slowed and proned.
They shift, they take Eldritch Strike to the face, slid, slowed and proned.
The move, they take Eldritch Strike to the face, slid, slowed and proned.
They attack you, they take a -5 to hit (invisible) and then (and this is the best part) take CON damage thanks to White Lotus Riposte AND get hit in the face again thanks to White Lotus Master Riposte. And slid, slowed and proned.

Every time they take Eldritch Strike to the face, they're slid (away from your allies), slowed (so they won't go far) and proned if they're not already.

Wielding a Staff of the Traveler as a quarterstaff is a +2 proficiency +2 enhancement weapon that deals 1d8 and counts as a shield. Not terrible, and it has reach so you can snag fleeing enemies back to adjacent. With Eldritch Strike, Defend the Line and World Serpent's Grasp you are sliding, slowing and proning them over and over again. You also have Warlock's Curse once an encounter thanks to the warlock multiclass on top of the built in Knight Power Strike twice an encounter.
this build only get's better at epic with overwheming impact
My Works
My House Rules Cryptic Commander: a Tiefling Wizard|Warlord - Arcane Wayfarer - Planeshaper that focuses on controlling every creature in an encounter. Feyknight: A Half-Elf Knight - Gladiator Champion - Marshall of Letherna build that uses Eldritch Strike and the White Lotus Riposte feats to create a decent catch-22 with his mark aura. Novamancer: a Wizard/Swordmage - Malec-Keth Janissary - Radiant One that specializes in area damage, somewhat item dependent but is capable of massive damage. the Epic Crit-Fisher: Avenger/Ranger-PMC-Eternal Seeker with a 2,560 damage crit-fishing nova. Eldritch Slayer: A Slayer - Kulkor - Destined Scion that uses a similar trick to the Knight, combined with Kulkor for some decent DPR. Polearm Seeker|Fighter: A Seeker|Fighter/Psion - Kensei - Destined Scion build that uses Polearm Momentum to not be super bad. Generic Runepriest: A generic type Runepriest/Fighter - Hammer of Vengeance - Destined Scion
One does not
111819409 wrote:
99856009 wrote:
by RAW, you can't horse into the forge of the dawn titan.

...Couldn't resist.

Inspired by BAMF, a teleporter's guidebook and the Knight guide, I've created a level 11 Eladrin Knight that uses the free adjacent teleport from Glimmering Hands and the Evermeet Warlock Paragon Path level 11 feature Feywild Wake to make a knight that constantly hits and disappears from sight, making a Catch-22 for his victims.

Are you using both stances at once (Glimmering Blade and Hammer Hands)?  How is that accomplished?

• Try to hit him with a -7 penalty

• Try and hit an ally with a -4 penalty, get hit in the face with a hammer, pushed/slowed/proned/shocked

Where is the extra -2 penalty coming from?
He's using Glimmering Blade. The Hammer Hands-like effect is from Forceful Opportunist, or just a slide from Mark of Storm. Defend the Line-like effect is from Hindering Shield. It's like having all three stances at once!

-2 penalty from Defender Aura, -2 from Hammer Shock (gives hammer MBAs the Rattling keyword, -2 to attack rolls).
Yea, Fighter Weapon Talent and Weapon Talent are technically different features, so you couldn't take Forceful Opportunist.  

Bear in mind that the Knight's punishment is an MBA as an opportunity ACTION not an opportunity ATTACK.  So feats that affect opportunity attacks won't affect the Knight's MBA punishment (Blade Opportunist, Heavy Blade Opportunity, Forceful Opportunist to name a few examples)

Also, Hindering Shield only lasts until the start of your next turn.  You can hit one target on your turn and then between turns, if he provokes your punishment, you can knock it prone.  But doing it to multiple creatures is difficult...

Unless you take a Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade.  Basically lays down an aura 3 pull/slow to all enemies.  If you get your punishment or an OA in, it'll knock them prone with WSG.  And you won't really need your Standard action.  I've tinkered with a turtle build (Defensive Weapon + Battle Standard with WSG, Overwhelming Impact, Hindering Shield, MC Warden and Crippling Crush) 
I've added a Half-Elf Eldritch Strike White Lotus Master Riposte variant to the original post. This one punishes enemies for doing literally anything, although the feats are tight and defenses/damage will be less than ideal. Still, pretty entertaining, and no Mark of Storm shenanigans, so this build works in any setting and depends on only 1 item, the staff of the traveler.

I don't know how well it'd play, but it looks viable. The defenses are ok, especially when adding invisibility, accuracy is very high +19, damage is 1d8+13 (+1d6 while hidden) with two power strikes worth 1d8 and one warlock's curse worth 2d6 per encounter, but you'll get to attack twice every round almost every round (plus CON damage) so that gets decent pretty quick.

If I hit them and they attack me back, its +19 to hit, 1d8+13 damage, then +21 to hit, 1d8+1d6+19 damage.

Action economy is ok, move, standard to attack, minor action teleport after you smack someone to get your invisibility, if you don't have to go anywhere use your movement to shift>teleport as well for twice the invisibility.

The little part of the description on staff implement that says it can be used as a magic quarterstaff was an excellent find and worked surprisingly well with the Knight class - the class feature Spinning Deflection means it's actually a shield, so if I don't want to use White Lotus Master Evasion I can use Hindering Shield to slow instead of Defend the Line and use Measured Cut to get a free teleport on ALL my MBAs instead of a minor action teleport on only my turn. The only problem with that is that it only slows until the start of my next turn, where Defend the Line slows until the end of my next turn, so I'd only get proning on their turn. It's a tradeoff - which would be better?

I'd love to hear feedback on practicality and improvements!
I don't understand why you have "Arcane Implement Proficiency" in the build (maybe it's Vicious Advantage ?).
However, this is a great build, and it has something that other Knight builds (non using Staff of the Traveler) don't have : mobility.
It's a real catch-22 build, that doesn't deal a LOT of damage but still "defend" properly.
You might wanna use Frostcheese later in your career (Arcane Admixture + Lasting Frost) for more damages. Besides, when the enemy attacks you, this vulnerability is triggered by both White Lotus Master Feats. Other White Lotus feats really shine aswell : Difficult terrain limits ennemies movements to 1 square (one is always in reach, so you still have your move action if you wanna hit that one again and move away), -1 to AC for more accuracy and it helps your friends, +1 bonus to all defenses if they really wanna get you...
The only real "problem" with this build compared to the other is that you can't use Overwhelming Impact at epic. This feat is just awesome : dazing at-will assure you to control every action, because once you hit them after shifting/attacking an ally/attacking you, they can't do anything else.

It's also pretty funny to see that you use the same "trick" with your Cavalier|Warlock build, that i have modified by the way.
Once I find a neat trick, I exploit it for all it's worth :D

Arcane Implement Proficiency is for the staff, since none of the classes he has can use it as an implement.

I love the White Lotus feats, but all of my builds are very feat-intensive, and with all the feat taxes (expertise, focus, defenses) there's usually not enough room to include anything that isn't vital to the build.

I'd love to hear how you modified my cavalier|warlock! Please post your variant in that thread :D
Actually he took out AIP, he just failed to edit out the top bit. With the new Neverwinter options Eladrin can be profiecent with the Staff Implement as a racial.
The staff is an offhand item, so you can just drop the shield and still wield a hammer in your main hand and since you're constantly teleporting pick up the cloack of translocation for +2 AC and Reflex.
DM's simple solution... ready attack until you stop being invisible
Hah, my dm did just that with my last teleporting/vanishing character. Ended up having three different enemies using several rounds worth of readied actions waiting for me to un-hide. Half the time I ended up waiting and just popping in and out without attacking to sustain invisibility. In the meanwhile, they've just wasted several standards my allies didn't take. If that's not defending... :D
Take sun-elf for free staff implement. That should help you out.
Sign In to post comments