Ancient Depths Decklist and Strategies

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
I looked back a few pages and didn't see a thread for AD, so I thought I'd start one.

The main reason I wanted to post my decklist here is because I've seen a lot of people online playing it and using the wrong cards. After lots of playtesting with it, I am certain there is an optimal build that really don't have much room for deviation.

There's really two ways to focus this deck. You can go for a creature oriented build or you can go for ramp. To be honest, the creature build is crap. It's smaller creatures are easy to deal with and you have no other advantage except a single Levitation to support them. So, I present you with UG Ramp, Magic 2012 style:

This deck is really broken down into phases. Phase 1 (two lands), get a 2-drop off. You have 4 Explore and 4 Coiling Oracle (least reliable) to get you to Phase 2(4 lands). You'll need to cast one of the following (in order of preference): Skyshroud Claim, Explosive Vegetation, Ondu Giant. Note also that if you have two more of your two drops, they can virtually do the same thing.

This gets you to Phase 3 (6-7 land). This is where you'll have the option to drop a fatty, gain life to buy you some more time, bounce a creature, ramp some more, Mind control a creature and/or draw cards. When safe, you'll usually ramp some more and draw cards to get you to the next phase. Sometimes you'll need to take a couple of turns to cast Living Destiny or Aether Mutation to keep you alive or use a Mind Control depending on the board situation. Let me stop right here and say I hate life gain cards. I generally don't want to play them because at heart I am an aggressive player and always want to play aggressive cards. However, I am also a scientist, so I'm willing to test anything. After seeing it buy me those extra turns in situations where I'd normally be dead, I was sold. You'll often get 7-11 life out of it at instant speed. Mind Control is another card that gives you a lot of options. You generally want to take the creature that poses the biggest threat to you, but sometimes you just want to take the creature that is boosting your opponent the most or the creature he has that will be the hardest for him to deal with. It all depends on your life total. If you happen to have Primeval Titan now it's usually a safe bet unless your life total is threatened on the next attack.

Now, you get to Phase 4 (8+ land). Here, you should be ready to cast a large creature (and not a moment too soon) in order to start controlling the board. At this point, it's pretty self-explanitory. Drop a fatties and take board control. There isn't much to talk about here other than Rite of ReplicationRite of Replication can often be a one card combo by itself with it's kicker ability and this is the kind of card that makes you want to play this deck. Much like Mind Control and Yavimaya's Embrace it can take your opponent's nastiest creatures and use them against him. The best targets for this are generally creatures with lifelink. There are so many other good targets for this though. One other thing to note about it, you can use it without kicker to kill a Legendary creature. It immediately make a copy of it and both simultaneously die. Also note that since many of your fatties have either Legendary or Shroud, the only creature of your own that you want to copy is Primeval Titan.

So, in summary, you should generally be looking at hitting your phases at these times unless something distrupts you:
Phase 1 - Turn 2
Phase 2 - Turn 3
Phase 3 - Turn 4 (although sometimes you'll need to Living Destiny here to stay alive)
Phase 4 - Turn 5-6

One caveat though, getting to Phase 4 doesn't mean you'll auto-win. Not all of your fatties are created equal and can lead to some randomness. Also, going 1st greatly increases your chances of winning, even against the best decks. I know it's not something you can't control, but realize that it's a blessing when it happens.

Now that we've covered that, let's look at some individual match-ups.

Unquenchable Fire:

This should be a good match-up for you. Most UF are oriented to kill smaller creatures so you won't see a card like Lava Axe or Goblin War Paint as they aren't good against the other small creature decks. You can occasionally loose to early Kiln Fiend draws as it only takes 3 direct burn cards with a fiend on the board to kill you by turn 5. The real all-star in this match-up for you is Living Destiny. You'd be amazed at how much harder it is for UF to deal 28 damage instead of 20.

Apex Predators:

This is another match-up where you should be favored because of Living Destiny. AP doesn't have enough of it's key cards to get an Overrun off consistently on turn 5-6 and past that it can be too late. In order for AP to beat you, it needs to get a 2-drop (only has access to 4), a 3-drop and another drop on the 4th turn before it Overruns. Even then, you won't always swing for a kill at that point, and a Living Destiny can make it even worse. The creatures in AP are generally higher casting cost than the other decks (except for AD or course) and are good targets for Aether Mutation as most of them also don't have trample.

Weilding Steel:

Here is an interesting match-up. I don't believe AD is favored in this match-up, but it can get interesting if they don't fly out of the gate with a nuts draw. They will generally beat you by dropping fast and efficient creatures and kill you before you can get your ramp up. Living Destiny can help, but sometimes isn't enough. Cards like Kor Duelist and Sunspear Shikari with equipment can be too fast for you. You will win in this match-up mostly because you went 1st and your opponent didn't get his double-strike or lifelink up quickly and even then sometimes you can still loose. You really have no answer for things like Turn 2 Stoneforge Mystic or Kor Duelist with Sword of War and Peace equipped.

But, let's focus on winning. You're keys to winning this match is to take advantage if they have a slower start and work your control cards to their fullest. That means hitting Aether Mutation on a 3-drop like Gideon's Avenger or Kor Hookmaster. Hookmaster is more of a challenge because you need to have a creature in play in order to make your opponent play it. Coiling Oracle and Ondu Giant are good for this. Also, you're phase 3 will usually involve playing a Living Destiny in order to stay alive. You're really waiting to get control (aka make your opponent stop attacking you) by either playing Shroud fatties or using Rite of Replication on one of his better creatures, namely Gideon's Avenger or Kor Hookmaster but if it gets that far also Serra Angel and Baneslayer Angel. You could also get a win by flying over with Levitationed creatures.

Realm of Illusion:

Very bad match-up for AD. Small creatues that become bigger backed by counter magic is bad. Counter magic in general screws with AD as it literally has no way to deal with it other than playing through it and that's not a good plan if there are creatures attacking you every turn. 

You have to slow him down. The cards you can do that with will be Ondu Giant, Mind Control, Living Destiny and to a lesser extent Aether Mutation. Lord of the Unreal makes using Aether Mutation difficult, so he's your main Mind Control target. Mind Control usually won't stick as Illusions tends to run bounce, but you can use this opportunity to force your opponent to use tap mana and use cards which can allow you to force through your better creatures or Rite of Replication. If you can make it to the late game, you'll have a few options as to how to finish your opponent. Obviously, you can try to overcome him with the raw power of your fatties, but that can be difficult because of Illusion's counter magic. Your 4 Shroud fatties earn their keep if you can get them on the table as Illusions only has one option to deal with them. You can also use a Rite of Replication on a good target as well.

Strength of Stone:

You should be favored here. Generally by the time they can get something threatening to you, you can steal it with control magic cards or just flat out overpower it with fatties.  Living Destiny earns it's spot here as well. Keep in mind though that SoS has access to Act of Treason and that can turn the tide on you very quickly so you want to prioritize your Shroud creatures. The worst thing SoS can do is Koth's Courier and follow it up with Claws of Valakut.  That isn't as consistent as you'll be at getting Shroud fatties out.

Guardians of the Wood:

This is another intersting match-up for AD. I do think the Elves are a more potent deck than AD, but you aren't as helpless in this match as you are in others. Living Destiny can keep in involved in games where they are just throwing cheap down elves and attacking. However, Elves has a lot of bombs to either ramp up elves or pump them up. The better Elf builds will need to use the removal because it can help win some of the top tier match-ups but it makes the deck slower overall and that can allow you the opportunity to control the game. The better builds also play Heedless One which is a 4 CMC card that nets 4 token from Aether Mutation. The best card you'll have against Elves is generally Rite of Replication as it can do so much for you. Think of what happens when you have 5 Imperious Perfect or 5 Heedless One on your board. As long as you copy one of your oponent's better cards, he'll be hard pressed to use Maelstrom Pulse.  Beyond that, you'll win by stealing key creatures off of their board and attacking with your Shroud fatties.

Dragon's Roar

In my opinion AD should be favored, but it depends on the list of DR. Mono-red is better against you because of the fast damage from the Goblins that will generally be unopposed. Living Destiny can help you but if they get out a dragon on turn 4-5 followed by a Volcanic Dragon on their next turn, it can be too much damage for you to deal with. Aether Mutation can be especially good if you have a Levitation in play as you can easily get 6 tokens off of AM and your dorks can easily block the dragons.

If you're playing against the BR version, you should done well. It's not fast enough to overcome a Living Destiny and by the time they get a dragon out, you might have a Simic Sky Swallower to block it. Overall, both builds can occasionally get a nuts draw of turn 3 Dragonspeaker Shaman followed by dragons on turn 4-6. You'll loose to that occasionally. Also realize that DR doesn't recover well if you control magic a dragon. Also note that if you kick Rite of Replication on Volcanic Dragon you score an easy 20 damage.

Blood Hunger:

Very bad match-up. Not much advice i can give except that most of my wins against Vamps have been due to Mind Control and Rite of Replication. Even then, you may not survive long enough to cast them even with getting off a Living Destiny. Most Vamps bulds run all of the creature removal, so upon occasion they'll get too much of that and you'll survive long enough to actually get to the late game.

To those that think this deck is overpowered, it is. Anyone who thinks it's balanced doesn't understand the metagame. This deck has 5 unconditional targeted removal and 2 that force a sacrifice to get around shroud. On top of that, you've got to deal with lifelink, death touch, and evasion. And just when you think you have everything under control, he drops a Captivating Vampire. Just realize your win rate against BH won't be so good.

Machinations:

Machinations come in different varieties. The small quick creature version is probably the worst for AD to deal with. The UB version isn't as bad. All versions of Machinations can drop a quick Steel Overseer and a few cheap creatures for an easy win. However, it's not that consistent. Unless you're playing the small creature version, Machinations is a clock deck and you have to realize your clock is faster. You'll be way more consistent than Machinations overall and should be favored. The worst they can do is put Darksteel Plate on a Wurcoil Engine. You can just cast multiple fatties and attack with your fatties. Try to save your Coiling Oracle and Ondu Giant so you don't run into a Dispensing Justice and you'll be fine. 

Overall, I think AD has tested a lot better than people give it credit for. AD appeals to the Timmy, Power Gamer in all of us. When optimized for ramp, the inclusion of Living Destiny can push it over the limit. I used to think AD was the worst deck but after testing it more and trying out Living Destiny, I easily think it's the 5th best deck. It is actually a lot more consistent than the lower tier decks but you don't beat the decks above you with any consistency. You can hang with WS and Elves most of the time but those decks are capable of nuts draws that kill you in 5-6 turns. Illusions and Vamps just don't play fair. Happy Spellcasting.
Nice work, but: AD is considered to be one OP deck. Not sure where you got the impression that it has been underrated.

So, Living Destiny you say, eh?

I, too, dont look brightly on life gain. But this deck generally needs some clock to dominate and when it does, it beats with style which make people think it is OP, but actaully it is a very cool designed deck that only gives you the illusion of OP'ness. One of my favorite decks to be sure. I will have to test with lifegain the next time.

There was an Ancient Depths thread here, but it really needed to be replaced anyway since it was so old it didn't include the unlocked cards in the first post.

This looks a lot like my final build, except I always include Cultivate. It works well with the 4cmc ramp cards, particularly Skyshroud Claim.

Also I always run 3x Aether Mutations instead of Living Destiny as the card to prolong the game. Not only does the bounce stall your opponent, unlike Living Destiny, the saproling tokens are much needed blockers and can always group-block to take down threats.

In reality this deck only seems good because it wins with a bang and loses with a whimper. You're more likely to remember the games you got out a fattie on turn 5 than you are when vamps/illusions/steel/elves did 20 damage before you cast anything but ramp spells. As it stands this deck is probably .500 at best in 1v1, a serious weapon in 2HG, and an immediate target in 4-player FFA. There's just no getting away from the early game defensive struggles, but any non-land fetch creature options you could include instead of ramp is only going to neglect the focus and dilute the deck.
There was an Ancient Depths thread here, but it really needed to be replaced anyway since it was so old it didn't include the unlocked cards in the first post.

This looks a lot like my final build, except I always include Cultivate. It works well with the 4cmc ramp cards, particularly Skyshroud Claim.

Also I always run 3x Aether Mutation instead of Living Destiny as the card to prolong the game. Not only does the bounce stall your opponent, unlike Living Destiny, the saproling tokens are much needed blockers and can always group-block to take down threats.

In reality this deck only seems good because it wins with a bang and loses with a whimper. You're more likely to remember the games you got out a fattie on turn 5 than you are when vamps/illusions/steel/elves did 20 damage before you cast anything but ramp spells. As it stands this deck is probably .500 at best in 1v1, a serious weapon in 2HG, and an immediate target in 4-player FFA. There's just no getting away from the early game defensive struggles, but any non-land fetch creature options you could include instead of ramp is only going to neglect the focus and dilute the deck.

Both Cultivate and Aether Mutation are inferior cards. Cultivate is not as robust as your other ramp cards at similar cost and doesn't fit the mana base unless you miss on a Coiling Oracle. Plus, there is nothing I would cut for Cultivate.

Aether Mutations is strictly inferior to Living Destiny. The majority of the time you won't get many tokens on your Aether Mutation. It also doesn't fit well with the mana curve. Living Destiny fits the curve better and also is instant speed. Aether Mutation is only better than Living Destiny against matches that you already win with Living Destiny and in the mirror. Living Destiny on the other hand can help you win matches against the top 4 decks. Aether Mutation typically won't.

Aether Mutations is strictly inferior to Living Destiny.

That term doesn't mean what you think it means. Hell, the two cards aren't even similar.

I would not recommend running Isleback Spawn. In my experience, the deck already has an abundance of fatties and a 4/8 for 7 with no evasion is just underwhelming. I have never seen it become a 8/16, ever.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Aether Mutation is the backbone of this deck. It buys you tons of hp in the form of tokens and slows down your opponent in the meantime. Not to mention 2 for 1 situations. The two can't even be compared. Plus, Mass Polymorph is coming, so I don't know what you are talking about.

Nice work, but: AD is considered to be one OP deck. Not sure where you got the impression that it has been underrated.

Many people thought it was gonna be top tier before the game was released and they had the opportunity to test it. While it's certainly a fun deck to play and built quite well to get out some big guys, there is no doubt it's in the bottom half. It has too many unfavourable matchups to compete with the top decks. In a different environment it might be more effective but being vulnerable to weenie rushes is bad when you play against aggro 9 out of 10 games.  

That term doesn't mean what you think it means. Hell, the two cards aren't even similar.

The two cards perform the same function in the deck. They both are there to prevent you from dying at your opponent's 5th turn. Please, tell me how Aether Mutations helps you beat the top 4 decks: Vamps, Illusions, Elves, and Steel? How many tokens do you expect to get from those decks? Vamps will still fly over your tokens. Illusions will fly over your tokens, and that's assuming you could even target something other than Lord of Illusions. Steel will fly over and tap your tokens and again, how many will you really get from a good Steel deck? Elves is the only match-up where you can get more than 2 tokens at that early point in the game. Elves still has enough to overcome your tokens a turn or two after you cast Aether Mutations. At the point where you have 6 lands in play, you can still use a 2 drop or a Skyshroud Claim and still have access to Living Destiny. You have to stop doing that if you want to cast Aether Mutations. While it does make tokens it doesn't help you ramp. Living Destiny allows for both.

I would not recommend running Isleback Spawn. In my experience, the deck already has an abundance of fatties and a 4/8 for 7 with no evasion is just underwhelming. I have never seen it become a 8/16, ever.

I've gotten it to 8/16 before. But, it's really more of a "win more" effect. The real reason for Isleback Spawn is the 7CMC and Shroud. Shroud is definitely worth it and in the match-ups where it's not, the 8 toughness is worth it.

Aether Mutation is the backbone of this deck. It buys you tons of hp in the form of tokens and slows down your opponent in the meantime. Not to mention 2 for 1 situations. The two can't even be compared. Plus, Mass Polymorph is coming, so I don't know what you are talking about.

The main knock I have against Aether Mutation is that it doesn't do enough early. Against the aggressive decks with small creatures, you will only get 2 and sometimes 3 tokens. The matches where it does more than that are against the other slow decks that play bigger creatures. In those match-ups your clock will be faster than theirs anyway, so Aether Mutation is a moot point.

As for the "DLC cards", I don't think Mass Polymorph will change things drastically. Will have to re-test it with Aether Mutations when it's available. However, the addition of Lilliana and Ral Zerek's decks will make things more difficult I feel. At this point it's only speculation, but I feel that they have the kind of disruption that will hurt AD.

The two cards perform the same function in the deck. They both are there to prevent you from dying at your opponent's 5th turn. Please, tell me how Aether Mutations helps you beat the top 4 decks: Vamps, Illusions, Elves, and Steel? How many tokens do you expect to get from those decks? Vamps will still fly over your tokens. Illusions will fly over your tokens, and that's assuming you could even target something other than Lord of Illusions. Steel will fly over and tap your tokens and again, how many will you really get from a good Steel deck? Elves is the only match-up where you can get more than 2 tokens at that early point in the game. Elves still has enough to overcome your tokens a turn or two after you cast Aether Mutations. At the point where you have 6 lands in play, you can still use a 2 drop or a Skyshroud Claim and still have access to Living Destiny. You have to stop doing that if you want to cast Aether Mutations. While it does make tokens it doesn't help you ramp. Living Destiny allows for both.

Not that I'm against Living Destiny, but...You can do more with 2-7 1/1s than you can with 6-11 life.
Many people thought it was gonna be top tier before the game was released and they had the opportunity to test it. While it's certainly a fun deck to play and built quite well to get out some big guys, there is no doubt it's in the bottom half. It has too many unfavourable matchups to compete with the top decks. In a different environment it might be more effective but being vulnerable to weenie rushes is bad when you play against aggro 9 out of 10 games.  

I said the same thing in another thread and someone pointed out to me that AD is probably the strongest of the decks with the starting 60 cards. A lot of the other decks get staple cards with their unlocks. If you look at a deck like Elves, it is the exact opposite with it's starting 60 which is why people didn't rate it as high initially. I play 14 of the 16 unlock cards in that deck and it has a massive effect on the deck's success. While I do play a lot of the unlocks in AD, they don't really change what the deck does and what it beats. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the top decks all get a lot better with their unlocks than the rest of the decks do.

Worst case scenario is you have to bounce a 1 CMC 1/1 creature. This would still prevent about 3+ damage. Of course Living Destiny can perform better, but this is assuming there is nothing better to bounce and you actually have a big creature to show. Also, would you really wanna show Illusions and Machinations what they have to save their counters for?

Not that I'm against Living Destiny, but...You can do more with 2-7 1/1s than you can with 6-11 life.

This. Math clearly proves him wrong. You can deal with 1 or 2 toughness creatures with your oracles and krakens. I don't remember having to cast a Mutation on a low CMC creature that much except Kor Duelist maybe. Hint: Go after bigger pray.

Plus this card gets a new meaning in AD mirror match. Normally, it is all about "releasing Krakens and Eldrazis" with this deck. In mirror, it is about praying your opponents releases kraken then you releasing +10 tokens and overwhelm him.

Also, if you're running Elvish Piper you can attack with your own big thing, then bounce it with Aether Mutation for 6-11 tokens, then drop the big thing back into play with the Piper. That can be pretty much game if done early enough. if done with Primeval Titan you now have 11+ lands in play (drop, attack, re-drop).
I'm going to go ahead and say that Aether Mutation is the stronger card between Living Destiny and itself. Living Destiny requires you to have something of value to reveal, which gives information to your opponent. If you don't have anything useful in your hands, it's basically a dead card. Aether Mutation also requires something on the battlefield, but if there isn't anything worth bouncing on your opponent's side of the board, I heard that's a good thing. When you can bounce, the saprolings you can get can either act as extra damage or some blockers. Not every deck is backed up by flying creatures and even the top decks still have ground troops that attack. Besides that, Aether Mutation is so much better at disrupting your opponent's gameplan. Lay your fatty one turn and follow up the next turn by bouncing their best dude hopefully forcing them into a bad position. You'll stop their best creature from attacking next turn (assuming no haste or that you could target it) and you now have a few saprolings back to either threaten more damage next turn or to blunt an incoming blow. Finally, being able to bounce a creature is effective in dealing with counters and auras on opponent's creatures. Oh that Blade of the Bloodchief boosted up that vampire a bunch? Aether Mutation it. Spikeshot Elder has that nasty Claws of Valakut on him? Let's Aether Mutation him. I think it's pretty clear which card I would choose.

Worst case scenario is you have to bounce a 1 CMC 1/1 creature. This would still prevent about 3+ damage. Of course Living Destiny can perform better, but this is assuming there is nothing better to bounce and you actually have a big creature to show.

Illusions is a bad match-up. Nothing you have will really help, so the the Aether Mutation / Living Destiny debate doesn't matter here. Similarly, against Machinations neither card is particularly relavent. In general, you don't need either card to prevent you from loosing. You'll benefit more from your card draw to get you fatties than you would from bouncing one to get tokens. Wurmcoil Engine would be your best for Aether Mutation but it's not as strong a play as Mind Control or Yavimaya's Embrace. I had an opponent drop a Wurmcoil Engine in a match on turn 4 via two Etherium Sculptor and on my next turn, I Mind Control it. I know this is anecdotal, but the point is that you have other cards at your disposal to deal with the threats that Aether Mutation deals with.

Also, would you really wanna show Illusions and Machinations what they have to save their counters for?

Come on. You're playing AD. They know you have fatties. Which one you have is usually irrelevant.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Aether Mutation is the stronger card between Living Destiny and itself. Living Destiny requires you to have something of value to reveal, which gives information to your opponent. If you don't have anything useful in your hands, it's basically a dead card. Aether Mutation also requires something on the battlefield, but if there isn't anything worth bouncing on your opponent's side of the board, I heard that's a good thing. When you can bounce, the saprolings you can get can either act as extra damage or some blockers. Not every deck is backed up by flying creatures and even the top decks still have ground troops that attack. Besides that, Aether Mutation is so much better at disrupting your opponent's gameplan. Lay your fatty one turn and follow up the next turn by bouncing their best dude hopefully forcing them into a bad position. You'll stop their best creature from attacking next turn (assuming no haste or that you could target it) and you now have a few saprolings back to either threaten more damage next turn or to blunt an incoming blow. Finally, being able to bounce a creature is effective in dealing with counters and auras on opponent's creatures. Oh that Blade of the Bloodchief boosted up that vampire a bunch? Aether Mutation it. Spikeshot Elder has that nasty Claws of Valakut on him? Let's Aether Mutation him. I think it's pretty clear which card I would choose.

As well, there are a few things in the game that you just don't want your fatties to block.

I know this is anecdotal, but the point is that you have other cards at your disposal to deal with the threats that Aether Mutation deals with.

Yeah, 2 (maybe 3) other cards in fact. In a 60 card deck I'll take three copies of another option thanks.
Also, if you're running Elvish Piper you can attack with your own big thing, then bounce it with Aether Mutation for 6-11 tokens, then drop the big thing back into play with the Piper. That can be pretty much game if done early enough. if done with Primeval Titan you now have 11+ lands in play (drop, attack, re-drop).

That works as long as you didn't drop a Shroud creature. Also, you will likely have another fatty in hand, and playing a second fatty is usually a better play than Aether Mutation.

As well, there are a few things in the game that you just don't want your fatties to block.

Yeah, 2 (maybe 3) other cards in fact. In a 60 card deck I'll take three copies of another option thanks.

By the time your opponent is casting those, you already have a superior board position and should already be winning. Aether Mutation won't help you win anymore than any other card you have. And you have enough card draw to either overpower your opponent with more fatties or rip a control magic card for that threat. All three of those decks are not consistenly faster than AD. Consistency is what makes AD better than those other decks. If Machinations had any kind of card draw it would be a different story. AP doesn't have enough early creatures to make a difference. SoS isn't focused enough. The cards SoS needs against the small creature decks are different than the cards it needs against the big creature decks.

A singleton copy of a creature like Spikeshot Elder in the worst deck in the game should not be a reason to run Aether Mutation

To respond to some of your other points, playing Aether Mutation the turn after laying a fattie is not a better play than laying another fattie or Yavimaya's Embraceing that same creature or Rite of Replicationing it.

Also, Blade of the Bloodchief won't be a problem. You hardly have any early creatures to kill so that vampire shouldn't get too big. It's a far better play to boost a Tormented Soul that it is a vampire anyway. Vamps doesn't need it's big creatures to beat you, so you shouldn't get more than 3 tokens unless your opponent doesn't play the smaller weenie build of Vamps and that's just not going to happen.

This. Math clearly proves him wrong. You can deal with 1 or 2 toughness creatures with your oracles and krakens. I don't remember having to cast a Mutation on a low CMC creature that much except Kor Duelist maybe. Hint: Go after bigger pray.

Plus this card gets a new meaning in AD mirror match. Normally, it is all about "releasing Krakens and Eldrazis" with this deck. In mirror, it is about praying your opponents releases kraken then you releasing +10 tokens and overwhelm him.

Again, Aether Mutations isn't better against the small creature decks. It's better against the big creature decks in which you already have an advantage over. It doesn't impact any of the match-up in a major way except for the mirror. I do concede that the lack of Aether Mutation will make the mirror match less winnable, but I'll trade that for a better opportunity against the small creature decks.

Worst case scenario is you have to bounce a 1 CMC 1/1 creature. This would still prevent about 3+ damage. Of course Living Destiny can perform better, but this is assuming there is nothing better to bounce and you actually have a big creature to show.

Illusions is a bad match-up. Nothing you have will really help, so the the Aether Mutation / Living Destiny debate doesn't matter here. Similarly, against Machinations neither card is particularly relavent.

This is a awfully bad retort to a valid reason Living Destiny shouldn't be included. I've never seen ANYONE argue it should be in, so you'll have to do a lot better than saying "neither card does good against certain decks"

By the time your opponent is casting those, you already have a superior board position and should already be winning.

Those cards can all be played by turn 5 (the same turn you're casting your 7 CMC fatties) and a superior board position is no sure thing.

The two cards perform the same function in the deck. They both are there to prevent you from dying at your opponent's 5th turn. Please, tell me how Aether Mutations helps you beat the top 4 decks: Vamps, Illusions, Elves, and Steel? How many tokens do you expect to get from those decks? Vamps will still fly over your tokens. Illusions will fly over your tokens, and that's assuming you could even target something other than Lord of Illusions. Steel will fly over and tap your tokens

Those decks don't have nearly as many flyers as you make them out to have. Even if you have to cast Aether Mutation on a 3 CMC creature, I promise you you will at the very least break even in terms of life saved by chump blocking and summoning sickness versus life gained by revealing an Eldrazi.

I don't mean to pick on you, but you're challenging a lot of assumptions about this deck that a lot of the good players at this forum have reached conclusions about some time ago. There's a fair bit of stating opinion as fact in your posts that comes across as arrogant and in some cases foolish. And please learn what Magic players mean by "strictly inferior" before you use it in discussion again.

Finally, I'm with you on including the Isleback Spawn! No Tidal Kraken for me though.

This is a awfully bad retort to a valid reason Living Destiny shouldn't be included. I've never seen ANYONE argue it should be in, so you'll have to do a lot better than saying "neither card does good against certain decks"

Those cards can all be played by turn 5 (the same turn you're casting your 7 CMC fatties) and a superior board position is no sure thing.

Those decks don't have nearly as many flyers as you make them out to have. Even if you have to cast Aether Mutation on a 3 CMC creature, I promise you you will at the very least break even in terms of life saved by chump blocking and summoning sickness versus life gained by revealing an Eldrazi.

I don't mean to pick on you, but you're challenging a lot of assumptions about this deck that a lot of the good players at this forum have reached conclusions about some time ago. There's a fair bit of stating opinion as fact in your posts that comes across as arrogant and in some cases foolish. And please learn what Magic players mean by "strictly inferior" before you use it in discussion again.

Finally, I'm with you on including the Isleback Spawn! No Tidal Kraken for me though.

I don't mind you picking on me. As a matter of fact, i've had a lot of fun stirring up controversy on this forum today, so no offense taken.

Yes, I do sound arrogant, no argument there. But, I feel i know what i'm talking about having tested different builds. I posted this list because this has given me the most success against good decks. Far too often I've seen people claim high win percentages with decks but don't really say whether or not they played against good builds. I can't tell you how many times I've beaten 70+ card WS decks, but I don't really think that means AD beats WS. When I played peeps with all the unlocks and optimized 60 card decks it was a different story.

Point is, I didn't start with this build and I didn't come to it on pure theorycrafting. I tested it. I tested different builds to see what was the most consistent. To me, crafting decks in Magic 2012 is more about making a consistent deck moreso than making a deck with all your power cards (AD actually gets to do both). I feel like I put in the time (and losses) to be able to defend my position. 

What I found in testing out the deck is that a lot of the time, you'll get stuck on 6 lands. A lot of times on turn 4 you won't always have a land in hand, but you might have another Coiling Oracle, Explore, or Skyshroud Claim. With Aether Mutation, you have to choose to ramp or to cast Aether Mutation. With Living Destiny, you don't have to make that choice. These small choices really did make a difference in winning and loosing for me.

As for Tidal Kraken, it's a necessary evil. I do agree it's the weakest of your fatties but there isn't anything I'd remove it for.

With Aether Mutation, you have to choose to ramp or to cast Aether Mutation. With Living Destiny, you don't have to make that choice. These small choices really did make a difference in winning and loosing for me.

You still have to make a choice with Living Destiny. Either you leave the mana open for Living Destiny, or you continue progress on your gameplan. The best you could do is Explore or Coiling Oracle at 5 lands and hit another land into play allowing enough mana to cast Living Destiny during that same round of turns. That's still a choice over whatever cards you may have been able to cast with that leftover mana though.
By the time your opponent is casting those, you already have a superior board position and should already be winning. Aether Mutation won't help you win anymore than any other card you have.

Uh-huh....So why include Living Destiny then?

If you're using words like "Board Position" then you must understand that Living Destiny does not improve your board position in any way. It merely keeps you alive long enough for the other cards in your deck (yes, including Aether Mutation) to improve your board position.

Seriously, I'm not against using Living Destiny. Replacing Aether Mutation for it though is a bad idea.
By the time your opponent is casting those, you already have a superior board position and should already be winning. Aether Mutation won't help you win anymore than any other card you have.

Uh-huh....So why include Living Destiny then?

If you're using words like "Board Position" then you must understand that Living Destiny does not improve your board position in any way. It merely keeps you alive long enough for the other cards in your deck (yes, including Aether Mutation) to improve your board position.

Seriously, I'm not against using Living Destiny. Replacing Aether Mutation for it though is a bad idea.

You use Living Destiny because it's good against the small creature decks. AP and SoS don't cast lots of small creatures and attack you quickly. They cast medium-large creatures and that makes them slower than AD. You don't always need Living Destiny to keep you alive in those matches because they don't pressure you as aggressively. By the time they get to their big creatures, you'll either have bigger creatures or control magic to deal with their big creatures. Aether Mutation doesn't improve your board position any more than casting another fatty would do. It's not worth the trade off to win bigger in match-ups you already own to play a card that won't be effective against the match-ups you'll play more frequently.

I think you should compare Aether Mutation to whatever card would get replaced. All you really do is say how one card would be better in a particular situation. Previously, you explained how Mind Control would be the bomb to cast on one of their fatties instead of Aether Mutation. Except no one would expect you to remove Mind Control from the list because it's a good card. However, you're not always going to have Mind Control in your hand which is why it's smart to try and include all your control cards. Start looking at your list for potential swaps where you might have less than optimal inclusions and consider comparisons between that card and Aether Mutation.

Personally, I feel Living Destiny is a potential swap, but you seem dead set on it. I won't completely disagree that lifegain can potentially be useful, but I find the effects aren't usually worth it unless they somehow affect the board state. I actually think Treasure Hunt is unreliable and could be a potential cut. I find it doesn't draw that many cards over time. Many times I only hit one card and that never impresses me. Consider that you're ripping out so many lands from the deck that it actually hurts the playability of the card. Also, I'm not sure you need all of those bombs either, but I guess it's necessary to maximize the use out of Living Destiny. I almost feel like that's encouraging a list that's not exactly optimized though. Some of those high cost cards aren't exactly amazing.
I think you should compare Aether Mutation to whatever card would get replaced. All you really do is say how one card would be better in a particular situation. Previously, you explained how Mind Control would be the bomb to cast on one of their fatties instead of Aether Mutation. Except no one would expect you to remove Mind Control from the list because it's a good card. However, you're not always going to have Mind Control in your hand which is why it's smart to try and include all your control cards. Start looking at your list for potential swaps where you might have less than optimal inclusions and consider comparisons between that card and Aether Mutation.

Personally, I feel Living Destiny is a potential swap, but you seem dead set on it. I won't completely disagree that lifegain can potentially be useful, but I find the effects aren't usually worth it unless they somehow affect the board state. I actually think Treasure Hunt is unreliable and could be a potential cut. I find it doesn't draw that many cards over time. Many times I only hit one card and that never impresses me. Consider that you're ripping out so many lands from the deck that it actually hurts the playability of the card. Also, I'm not sure you need all of those bombs either, but I guess it's necessary to maximize the use out of Living Destiny. I almost feel like that's encouraging a list that's not exactly optimized though. Some of those high cost cards aren't exactly amazing.

If you want to run both, then cut the Treasure Trove and two fatties for the Aether Mutations. I think that weakens the effectiveness of Polymorph, but that may not be important to you. Anything is worth testing, especially if it can help get over the hump on Illusions or Vamps.

I notice you don't run Cultivate in your list. I'm a huge fan of this card, but it probably comes down to personal preference. I'm pretty greedy with my hands and I love when Cultivate makes up for a missed land drop on turn 3 after I initially ramp off Explore or Coiling Oracle on turn 2. It's also nice as back up ramp in case you get cheated out of one of the turn 2 ramp spells.
I notice you don't run Cultivate in your list. I'm a huge fan of this card, but it probably comes down to personal preference. I'm pretty greedy with my hands and I love when Cultivate makes up for a missed land drop on turn 3 after I initially ramp off Explore or Coiling Oracle on turn 2. It's also nice as back up ramp in case you get cheated out of one of the turn 2 ramp spells.

Cultivate was really hit & miss in my testing. There are times when it absolutely saves you if you miss a land drop but not often enough to make a significant difference. When the deck is running well, it sits in my hand and doesn't get cast until you're already in full swing. Even when you use it on the third turn after missing a 2-drop, you still won't hit 6 lands until your 5th turn.

I actually swapped the Living Destiny in for Cultivate and never really looked back.

For anyone who's interested, I did some more playtesting this evening with the following changes:

-1 Elvish Piper
-1 Polymorph
-1 Treasure Trove
-1 Tidal Kraken

+3 Aether Mutation
+1 Levitation

The package of Levitation with Aether Mutation is pretty good and actually allowed me to win a match against Vamps and Levitation by itself won me a match against WS tonight that I wouldn't have won otherwise. Levitation seems like a suitable replacement for Tidal Kraken as it provides a lot more evasion and combos very well with Rite of Replication as a good finisher.

Overall, I have to say the match-up against WS and Elves is affected by having Levitation in the deck. It's 4cc and gets into play without much pain. 

Also played some matches against the mirror and Aether Mutation came in handy those games.

Played against Illusions a twice today and lost both. One was due to horrible mana screw forcing me down to 4 cards in my opening hand. The other was quite spectacular. I ended up Mind Controlling a Lord of the Unreal and two turns later cast a kicked Rite of Replication on his Krovikan Mist (which was made possible by Living Destiny to keep me alive) and my opponent didn't counter it. Instead, he cast Evacuation and he picked up all his cards and cast them again. My stolen Lord and all my tokens went away. :-(

I was too low on life to make a comeback with the one fatty I had left in hand and I lost.

On a brighter note, I learned how brutal using Rite of Replication can be on a Kor Hookmaster in the WS match-up. A kicked Rite of Replication on a Kor Hookmaster is almost as potent as a Lorthos, the Tidemaker and doesn't require you to get off an attack to make it work. I had a board of Isleback Spawn, Ondu Giant Coiling Oracle and 5 Hookmaster tokens and got lethal damage through.

So I am bored out of my mind and I figured I would make a list of viable targets for Rite of Replication. Probably not nessasary, but I am bored so im gonna do it anyways. I am also including some creatures that dont often see play, just for the sake of completion.

Realm of Illusion:

Krovikan Mist, nets you five 5/5 fliers(not counting the illusions your opponent has in play).

Aether Adept nets you five 2/2 creatures, and allows you to bounce 5 creatures.

Phantom Warrior nets you five 2/2 unblockable creatures.

Sower of Temptation nets you five 2/2 fliers, and allows you to take control of 5 more creatures.

Aether Figment nets you five 1/1(or 3/3 if it was kicked) unblockable creatures.

Air Elemental nets you five 4/4 fliers.

Mahamoti Djinn nets you five 5/6 fliers.

Wielding Steel:

Gideon's Avenger nets you five 2/2 creatures that buff every time an opponent taps a creature.

Kor Hookmaster nets you five 2/2 creatures, and allows you to to tap 5 other creatures.

Baneslayer Angel nets you five 5/5 fliers with flying, first strike, lifelink, and prot from demons and dragons.

Serra Angel nets you five 4/4 creatures with flying and vigilance.

Captain of the Watch nets you five 7/7 creatures, and fifteen 6/6 white soldier tokens. Thanks to Extendoman for pointing out a mistake in my math, this has been corrected.

Archangel of Strife nets you five 6/6 flying creatures, and either +15/+0 or +0/+15 to all creatures you control.

Apex Predators:

Borderland Ranger probably the worst target in the list, but I am adding it since it has an ETB effect. Nets you five 2/2 creatures and lets you pull 5 land into your hand.

Leatherback Baloth nets you five 4/5 creatures.

Cudgel Troll nets you five 4/3 creatures with regenerate(and since AD contains G you can pay to regen them).

Garruk's Packleader nets you five 4/4 creatures, and allows you to draw 5 cards everytime you play a creature with a power of 3 or higher, it also draws 20 cards for you the turn it is replicated, as each Packleader triggers off of the others coming into play that turn. Thanks to Hydramarine for pointing this out for me.

Stomper Cub nets you five 5/3 creatures with trample.

Terra Stomper nets you five 8/8 creatures with trample.

Engulfing Slagwurm nets you five 7/7 creatures with "Whenever Engulfing Slagwurm blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, destroy that creature. You gain life equal to that creatures toughness".

Grazing Gladehart nets you five 2/2 creatures, with landfall healing, netting you 10 life everytime a land is played.

Craw Wurm nets you five 6/4 creatures.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Most crazy of all, I think Garruk's Packleader instantly nets you 20 draws.
Continued from previous post.

Unquenchable Fire:

Goblin Arsonist nets you five 1/1 creatures with "When Goblin Arsonist dies, you may have it deal 1 damage to target creature or player".

Kiln Fiend nets you five 1/2 creatures with "Whenever you play an instant or sorcery spell, Kiln Fiend gains +3/+0 until end of turn". Keep in mind most of your ramp are sorcery spells.

Chandra's Phoenix nets you five 2/2 creatures with flying and haste.

Prodigal Pyromancer nets you five 1/1 creatures with "tap, Prodigal Pyromancer deals 1 damage to target creature of player".

Flametongue Kavu nets you five 4/2 creatures and allows you to deal 4 damage to 5 target creatures.

Fire Servant nets you five 4/3 creatures, although its passive effect is useless to you.

Fire Elemental nets you five 5/4 creatures.

Flameblast Dragon nets you five 5/5 flying creatures, although it when attacking effect is useless to you due to lacking red mana.

Inferno Titan nets you five 6/6 creatures, and allows you to do 15 damage spread among creatures or players. This also happens when they attack.

Machinations:

Darksteel Colossus nets you five 11/11 creatures with trample and indestructable.

Signal Pest nets you five 0/1 creatures with battle cry.

Steel Overseer nets you five 1/1 creatures with "tap, put a 1/1 counter on each artifact creature you control" which isnt much help, outside of buffing themselves.

Tidehollow Strix nets you five 2/1 creatures with flying and death touch.

Etched Champion nets you five 2/2 creatures with protection from all colors(since RoR will get you the metalcraft you need), this is assuming you can nab it before your opponent gets metalcraft up and running themself.

Master of Etherium nets you five 8/8 creatures.

Pilgrim's Eye nets you five 1/1 creatures with flying and allows you to pull 5 land into your hand. Putting this here for the same reasons I mentioned Borderland Ranger before in the Apex section.

Snapsail Glider nets you five 2/2 creatures with flying(again, since kicked RoR on it will give you metalcraft).

Stone Golem nets you five 4/4 creatures.

Razorfield Rhino nets you five 6/6 creatures(again with the metalcraft).

Wurmcoil Engine nets you give 6/6 creatures with lifelink and deathtouch, and "When Wurmcoil Engine dies, put a 3/3 colorless wurm artifact token with deathtouch and a 3/3 colorless artifact token with lifelink onto the battlefield".

Magister Sphinx nets you five 5/5 creatures with flying, and 5 target players life totals become 10(redundant, but worth mentioning).

Gust-Skimmer nets you five 2/1 creatures, with "U, Gust-Skimmer gains flying until end of turn". Again, probably not worth mentioning, but since AD contains the U needed to make them fly, I figured I would add it.

Razorfield Thresher nets you five 6/4 creatures.

Psychosis Crawler nets you five creatures with power and toughness equal to the number of cards in your hand, and "whenever you draw a card, each opponent loses 1 life. For a total of 5 life lost per card drawn.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Actually captain of the watch gives you 15 6/6's Ive done it, it is awesome! Any what has been you crappiest Rite to stay alive. The hook master is a good idea. My worst use of the card which is still awesome was the flying death touch howl from machinations. It defiantly stabilized the board.
It makes me sad when I see people with only rite in their hand and refusing to kick it on their coiling oracle.
Continued.

Blood Hunger:

Tormented Soul nets you five 1/1 creatures that cannot block, but are unblockable.

Captivating Vampire nets you five 6/6 creatures, and give you enough vampires to begin stealing creatures with their tap ability.

Vampire Nighthawk nets you five 2/3 creatures with flying, deathtouch, and lifelink.

Mirri the Cursed is Legendary, so an unkicked RoR works as a form of removal.

Sengir Vampire nets you five 4/4 creatures with flying and "whenever a creature dealt damage this turn by Sengir Vampire dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Sengir Vampire.

Skeletal Vampire nets you five 3/3 creatures with flying, and ten 1/1 bat tokens with flying. Giving plenty of fodder to regen Skeletal Vampire.

Stalking Bloodsucker nets you five 4/4 creatures with flying, although its other ability is useless due to lack of black mana.

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief is Legendary, another place where an unkicked RoR functions as removal.

I have left out the Bloodlust creatures, as im not entirely sure how they function in regards to RoR. I also left out Quag Vampires as im not sure if the plusses from being kicked factor in to the replicated creatures.

Dragon's Roar:

Dragonmaster Outcast nets you five 1/1 creatures, as well as five 5/5 dragon tokens with flying at the beginning of all the following turns upkeep.

Festering Goblin nets you five 1/1 creatures that give -1/-1 to target creature for the turn when they die.

Goblin Wardriver nets you five 2/2 creatures with battle cry.

Giant Scorpion nets you five 1/3 creatures with deathtouch.

Manic Vandal nets you five 2/2 creatures and allows you to destroy 5 target artifacts.

Furnace Whelp nets you five 2/2 creatures with flying, although their firebreathing is useless to you due to lack or red mana.

Gravedigger nets you five 2/2 creatures, and allows you to pull 5 creatures from your graveyard back into your hand.

Voracious Dragon nets you five 4/4 creatures with flying and devour 1(which works rather well with saporling tokens).

Flameblast Dragon same as in UF.

Hellkite Charger nets you five 5/5 creatures with flying and haste, although the when attacking effect is useless due to lack of red mana.

Rorix Bladewing another Legendary creature. As with all the other, unkicked RoR as spot removal. Thanks to Brodo for pointing out my mistake in forgetting this guy was a legendary.

Furyborn Hellkite nets you five 6/6 creatures with flying(although im not sure how the bloodlust would work with this).

Volcanic Dragon nets you five 4/4 creatures with flying and haste.

Raging Goblin nets you five 1/1 creatures with haste(yes I know its silly, but I figured I might as well add it).

Put off unlocking this deck as long as possible and I think this is the least interesting out of the deck as it almost like playing solitaire.
I guess has its place in the game, but its just not for me.
Continued....

Ancient Depths:

Coiling Oracle nets you five 1/1 creatures and up to 5 draws, or land put onto the table(not entire sure how I should have worded this).

Edric, Spymaster of Trest another Legendary, yet another situation where an unkicked RoR functions as removal.

Primeval Titan nets you five 6/6 creatures, and ramps you 10 mana. This also occours when they attack.

Lorthos, the Tidemaker again with the Legendary, unkicked for removal.

Kozilek, Butcher of Truth another Legendary, so again, unkicked for removal.

Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre yet another Legendary, unkicked for removal.

Tidal Kraken nets you five 6/6 creatures with unblockable.

Elvish Piper just for laughs, because being able to pull out five creatures of any mana cost for 5 green mana is just funny.

Assault Zeppelid nets you five 3/3 creatures with flying and trample.

Guardians of the Wood:

Elvish Lyrist nets you five 1/1 creatures, and five methods of removing enchantments.

Ezuri's Archers nets you five 1/2 creatures with "whenever Ezuri's Archers block a creature with flying, Ezuri Archers gets +3/+0 until end of turn.

Elvish Visionary nets you five 1/1 creatures, and allows you to draw 5 cards.

Ezuri, Renegade Leader another legendary, unkicked RoR for removal.

Imperious Perfect nets you five 6/6 creatures, and since their tap ability requires green mana, AD can tap them to create 6/6 tokens.

Jagged-Scar Archers nets you five 5/5 creatures with "tap, Jagged-Scar Archers deal damage equal to its power to target creature with flying".

Viridian Shaman nets you five 2/2 creatures, and allows you to destroy 5 target artifacts.

Heedless One nets you five 5/5 creatures(more depending on the number of elves your opponent controls) with trample.

Nath of the Gilt-Leaf yet another Legendary, should go without saying by now but, unkicked RoR for removal.

Titania's Chosen nets you five 1/1 creatures that gain a +1/+1 counter for each green spell played(again, useful since ADs ramp is green).

Wildheart Invoker nets you five 4/3 creatures with "8: Target creature gets +5/+5 until end of turn"

Elven Riders nets you five 3/3 creatures that can only be blocked by walls and creatures with flying.

Strength of Stone:

Rockslide Elemental nets you five 1/1 creatures that gain a +1/+1 counter for each creature sent to the graveyard.

Hero of Oxid Ridge nets you five 4/2 creatures with battle cry and haste.

Lavaborn Muse nets you five 3/3 creatures, and does 15 damage to your opponent at the beginning of upkeep if they have two or fewer cards in hand.

Oxidda Scrapmelter nets you five 3/3 creatures and allows you to destroy 5 target artifacts.

Magma Phoenix nets you five 3/3 creatures with flying, and the death effect...I like to refer to this combo as.....suicide!

Tephraderm nets you five 4/5 creatures with their damage reflect capabilities.

Conquering Manticore nets you five 5/5 creatures with flying, and functions as 5 Threaten at the same time.

Vulshok Heartstoker nets you five 2/2 creatures and lets you use the +2/+0 effect five times for the turn(for example 5 creatures given +2/+0, or a single creature given +10/+0 for the turn).

Vulshok Berserker nets you five 3/2 creatures with haste.

Earth Elemental nets you five 4/5 creatures.

Bloodfire Colossus nets you five 6/6 creatures, although their R ability is useless due to lack of red mana(although who would want to blow up all 5 of them anyways!).

That should be about it, if anyone else catches anything I missed feel free to fill in the gaps. As I said before, not all of these are the most practical, I am simply posting them as they may be useful in certain situations.

Would be hilarious if somebody milled himself by replicating Garruk's Packleader :P

Although it's rather unlikely that both Eldrazi are currently in play at that time, but maybe some people wouldn't discard them at the end of turn.   
Dragon's Roar:

Rorix Bladewing nets you five 6/5 creatures with flying and haste.

Lies! Rorix is a legendary creature! Tongue out
Sign In to post comments