The Lion has no regrets

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been working up a Mageta the Lion deck; and while I'm not 100% satisfied with it, I think I've got it close enough for critics.  I'm only running 38 land which I know is a little light, but it should be playable with any hand that gets 2 lands to start.  I don't think the slight increase in mulligans is enough to really harm the deck.
I tossed in some indestructable effects to give advantage through the frequent wipes, as well as some recursion.  It's got a Voltron-esque sub theme with all the equipment, which concerns me slightly since Mageta is not much of a beater by himself.

I apologize for the sorting, but it is soooo much easier to upload a txt file.

These are cards which I would have liked to include but I couldn't decide anything was worth cutting for.
Windbrisk Raptor
Windborn Muse
Cataclysm
Frantic Salvage
Leonin Abunas
Remember the Fallen
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Luminarch Ascension
Blazing Archon
Divine Sacrament
Silver Seraph
Frantic Purification
Serra Avatar
Weathered Bodyguards
Angelic Destiny
Graceful Reprieve

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
I've been working up a Mageta the Lion deck; and while I'm not 100% satisfied with it, I think I've got it close enough for critics.  I'm only running 38 land which I know is a little light, but it should be playable with any hand that gets 2 lands to start.  I don't think the slight increase in mulligans is enough to really harm the deck.
I tossed in some indestructable effects to give advantage through the frequent wipes, as well as some recursion.  It's got a Voltron-esque sub theme with all the equipment, which concerns me slightly since Mageta is not much of a beater by himself.

I apologize for the sorting, but it is soooo much easier to upload a txt file.

These are cards which I would have liked to include but I couldn't decide anything was worth cutting for.
Windbrisk Raptor
Windborn Muse
Cataclysm
Frantic Salvage
Leonin Abunas
Remember the Fallen
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Luminarch Ascension
Blazing Archon
Divine Sacrament
Silver Seraph
Frantic Purification
Serra Avatar
Weathered Bodyguards
Angelic Destiny
Graceful Reprieve

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

I will look more closely later, but just a quick comment or two:

1. Karakas is banned

2. you can get away with a land count as low as 36 in mono-color that has a few land tutors.  You have several, and they are all high quality, so I would drop Karakas and a plains, and slide in Luminarch Ascension and Leonin Abunas

Thousand-Year Elixir could be cool with Mageta, though you seem to have some amount of haste granting artifacts already and I'm not sure if you have that many tappers to make this effective.

Anyway Bringer of the White Dawn can only be played in five color deck.
Great deck.

You're already running Land Tax and Enlightened Tutor so I'd suggest Scroll Rack 100%. Three cards a turn are NUTS.
You already are running Stonehewer and Stoneforger; I'd suggest Steelshaper's Gift.  Furthermore, I'd suggest Umezawa's Jitte and Sword of Feast and Famine.

Misc Utility: You're already running Weathered Wayfarer.  I'd suggest Ranger of Eos and Serra Ascendant.  Knight of the White Orchid is pretty fantastic, as is Reveilark.  Finally, Gift of Estates is amazing in white.

I think those are great suggestions to get you started, but I'd consider getting a Crucible of Worlds when your budget allows.  It's another card advantage machine, especially if you add Panaramas, Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, or other fetches.  This makes Emeria that much more insane!

Cuts: Off the top of my head, I'd cut: Moonlit Wake, Bringer (color identity), Steelshaper Apprentice [removal NOMS him], Kor Cartographer, and Darksteel Gargoyle as a strting point.  DrWorm is right, you could probably cut a land or two.  

Hope this was helpful

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Since you're playing Extraplanar Lens, I would suggest running snow-covered plains instead of just regular plains.
Thanks for the advice folks; I'm recently returned to the hobby and relatively new to the format. 

Am I right that there's only 2 white cards with the Madness mechanic?  That's kind of a shame considering Mageta's ability.
Anyway, down to brass tacks:
- Karakas Gotta remember to check that banned list for every deck!
- Bringer of the White Dawn Dangit, I didn't realize the foreign mana symbol rule applied that way
- </em>Dark Depths I assume the color identity applies here too
Darksteel Gargoyle I was already thinking he was a bit overcosted
- Steelshaper Apprentice
- Moonlit Wake The lifegain is neat, but not really necessary
- Kor Cartographer

+

Luminarch Ascension
+ Leonin Abunas
+ Knight of the White Orchid
+ Gift of Estates
+ Scroll Rack

That leaves two open slots.  I have a question about Reveillark, if I activate Mageta with it on the field, it's ability doesn't activate until after Mageta's has completely resolved right?  Assuming that's true I might as well include it, I have enough creatures under power 2 to be useful.

I'm honestly not sure what to use that last slot for... I don't think there are any other must have cards for the theme, and there's plenty of Good Stuff.  The practical side of me says use Frantic Salvage, but the kid in me imagines laying down a 40/40 Serra Avatar at a table with no removal (yeah I know it's an impossible fantasy).

Since you're playing Extraplanar Lens, I would suggest running snow-covered plains instead of just regular plains.

I take it that's so no one else at the table can benefit from using plains?

*Edit* sorry about all the italics, the option seems to be stuck
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.

- Dark Depths I assume the color identity applies here too

No. The color identity rules ONLY care about mana symbols. They care about absolutely nothing else.
Play EDH? Interested in trying EDH? Want ideas for new and exciting generals? Have certain colors in mind for your next deck, but haven't picked a general yet? Boy have I got the thread for you! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22946049/Comprehensive_Index_of_Generals
Yes, that's correct, unless they're also playing snow-covered plains, but the chances of that are pretty slim compared to someone having regular plains out there.
Should I be looking at Fanatical Devotion or does the stack keep me from using that the way I want to with Mageta?
Should I be looking at Fanatical Devotion or does the stack keep me from using that the way I want to with Mageta?

I have no idea what you are thinking it will do. 

I have no idea what you are thinking it will do. 

It will do nothing.
Photobucket

I don't know what you're thinking about. Either way it doesn't work because Mageta's ability prevents regeneration.
Please forget I mentioned that last one.  I posted that after a night of next to no sleep.

So current deck as it stands:
I like the look of the list...you are packing some serious power.  Now it is all about the play, and I am not sure what deck I would play to beat this deck.
I'd run Sword of Feast and Famine over Sword pf Vengeance.

It's a huge upgrade. 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Sign In to post comments