7/28/2011 FtL: "Unstable"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I'm guessing the "joke you didn't want to discuss" involves reading the Basilisk's last line out of context...

EDIT: Alse, I don't think that last deck works, unfortunately. Red-Hot Hottie doesn't say "... scream for each 3rd degree burn counter on it." It's the effect that gives it the sacrifice condition, not the counter itself, which only serves as a reminder. It is similar to the way proliferating training counters from Sensei Golden Tail does not add more bushido. 
Nice Paper Mario Reference.
Blankman hurts my brain.  If I activate him while he's in my library, and I have four copies, does every copy gain the chosen name or do I have to mark the cards so I can tell which one I activated?

And I have to call shame on Noel for crossing the line with his last suggestion.  Do you WANT people in every state to pass laws forbidding Magic from being played?  This is taking the griefer madness too far.  Annoy your opponent if you must, but annoying non-MTG-playing passersby is exactly the kind of jerk move our hobby does not need.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Blankman hurts my brain.  If I activate him while he's in my library, and I have four copies, does every copy gain the chosen name or do I have to mark the cards so I can tell which one I activated?

Well, it won't really matter often. The effect won't apply anymore if you draw it. The only time it could matter would be if you draw one copy and then do something that cares about a card's name in your library.
blah blah metal lyrics
I'm sorry, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish this week's From the Lab. When I read that it was entirely devoted to Un cards, I knew that I had no interest. I normally read every week, but this week just couldn't do it for me, and I'm a touch disappointed.

I hope all you other guys enjoyed it though! You just can't please everyone, right? 

Well, it won't really matter often. The effect won't apply anymore if you draw it. The only time it could matter would be if you draw one copy and then do something that cares about a card's name in your library.

No the idea is that you would turn one or more of the _______s in your deck into whatever you're going to fetch with Mitotic Manipulation or Doubling Chant or whatever.  Say I cast the Chant and I have a Leyline of Singularity in play and I want to make lots of creatures die to the legend rule so I'll get lots of counters on a Deathbringer Thoctar.  There are four _______s in my deck; I want to change each of them to a different name of a creature I have out, so that each one will legend-rule a different creature.  But I probably won't flip all four of them, so how do I designate which __________ is which of my creatures in play?  Unless I've gone to the effort of numbering them, I don't see how this can work.

Speaking of things that don't work, I'm absolutely dead-set against Fraction Jackson working with 1/2 creatures.  A P/T of 1/2 isn't even a single number!  Un-cards shouldn't be judged by Oracle text, and the use of a / in Oracle was clearly an oversight.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I'm sorry, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish this week's From the Lab. When I read that it was entirely devoted to Un cards, I knew that I had no interest. I normally read every week, but this week just couldn't do it for me, and I'm a touch disappointed.

I hope all you other guys enjoyed it though! You just can't please everyone, right? 

Don't worry you're not alone.

Actually, I'd guess 95% of Magic Players fullheartidly hate both Un sets.

They exist only because MaRo loves them for some obscure reason...
not much love for the un- sets on this thread! i remember mark rosewater saying that the un-sets tend to either be loved or hated passionately. (count me in the former group. i enjoyed this article very much!)

Don't worry you're not alone.

Actually, I'd guess 95% of Magic Players fullheartidly hate both Un sets.

They exist only because MaRo loves them for some obscure reason...

The first UN set had a handful of really fun cards, which are the only ones anybody remembers.  The rest were plain garbage and not fun at all (some of them literally garbage one they'd been used).  Ricochet is a card I remember causing some fun moments, and I hear Ow could be fun.  The ubiquitous Hurloon Wrangler (for an UN card) is the poster child of fun stories (and yes, I got someone to take off their pants for me -- mission accomplished).

I think the problem with the UN sets is that the people making them rarely understand what was fun or charming about them.  Gotcha was the exact opposite of what it needed to be to be fun.  Fractions were not only boring, but added nothing significant to the game, since 1/2 power was nearly worthless unless it hit a player, while 1/2 toughness was not different from an extra 1 toughness most of the time.  Add to that the rules problems that the shoddy templating and poor rules understanding can cause, and the UN sets always seemed to cause more arguing than fun.  Even Standing Guard caused an argument (Can I stand up in the middle of declaring attackers at the moment when I declare them attacking, and then sit down?).  Basically, the UN sets are a great idea, but the execution generally sucked.