A Patch, Pin or Medal for the Goblin Wars in Cormyr?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Does anyone remember seeing a patch or pin/medal mentioned in any Realms novel or sourcebook that would be worn by veterans of the Goblin Wars (war against Nalavara, the Ghazneths, Goblins of Grod and Orcs) in Cormyr?

I recall a patch (or possibly a medal) being described in a novel whose name I forget, that a smith from Cormyr wore because he was in the Tuigan Crusade led by King Azoun IV, so it seems like there ought to be one for the Goblin Wars as well.

Campaign Ribbon is the modern descendent of such things... and while I've never heard of one described, its logical that one would exist for veterans of the conflict, especially considering the toll it took on Cormyr.  Really, there'd probably be one for every major military campaign, and truly important battles in all likelihood, that Cormyr's ever participated in.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

I don't have any memory of seeing this is a novel or sourcebook, I will have a quick check of the most likely suspects though.

I like this idea, I really do. I certainly think that the more noble families would reflect, in their armour, major conflicts that they had been involved in.

But for the rank-and-file, awarded honours (patches, pins or medals) are likely, especially in an highly structured and heirarchical society like Cormyr. One thought that came to me while considering it is perhaps when an award is made (for example a medal) the veteran could also have a mark or design commemorating the honour embossed onto an armour section, for example a pauldron, that way the past heroic acts of the veteran would be carried even onto the battlefield.

Hmm, I will have to talk to my DM about including that for one of my own characters.

...off to check my materials.

My approach to the NPCs of previous editions.

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett
The Scale of Nalavatoryl
The Scale of Nalavatoryl

Excellent! Where did you find it? Is there somewhere I can read more about it?

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett
Power of Faerun. Pg.35 or so.
Found it! It is listed as a medal (5-point decoration) for the Purple Dragons of Cormyr on page 34 of Power of Faerun. Nice catch Brace. Not a lot of detail though, maybe a question to Ed might flesh it out further?

Show
Thank you both! :D

[Edit: it just occured to me that time and again I've had a question that could be answered by my Realms collection at home, I just can't remember which darn book to look in.]