2nd level char help

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am playing in the encounters game an my defender just died.  I am the only experienced player at the noob table.  I play there so I can help the new players with thier PCs.  What I need is a combo Defender/Striker.  We have strikers but the not well played or optimized so I need to keep the mobs off them and be highly survivable.  We often do not have leader either.  The one other PC I can count on is the wizard.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mathius
What is it you are looking for ? A sturdy defender that won't (probably) need a healer like the fighter can be, or a warden, are you looking for a defender that does decent damage (fighter) or perhaps a sturdy striker, like the blackguard ?

With what you wrote you're going to get a lot of suggestions based on people personal preferences.
2 handed weapon paladin.  That way you have a heavy hitting defender in plate that also can do a little healing.
2 handed weapon paladin.  That way you have a heavy hitting defender in plate that also can do a little healing.

Better yet, a Blackguard. Could go cha-based for a more defender-y build.
Here's the Dwarf Guardian Fighter (With a Craghammer + Heavy Shield) that I play. He's very sturdy as well as a respectable source of damage and even a minor in control.

Show

Dwarf, Fighter
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Background: Chessenta (Chessenta Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 26 (27) Fort: 21 (22) Reflex: 18 (19) Will: 17 (18)*
HP: 61 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +7, Endurance +9, Athletics +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +5, History +3, Insight +7, Nature +5, Perception +7, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise +2, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Bludgeon Expertise
Level 4: Improved Defenses
Level 6: Armor Proficiency: Plate

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter encounter 3: Crushing Blow
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Third Wind

ITEMS
Layered Plate Armor of Dwarven Vigor +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Amulet of Life +1, Adventurer's Kit, Knockback Craghammer +1, *Hammer Shield Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Belt of Vigor (heroic tier)

*My defenses gain a +1 bonus as long as I hit with a weapon attack.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I am playing in the encounters game an my defender just died.  I am the only experienced player at the noob table.  I play there so I can help the new players with thier PCs.  What I need is a combo Defender/Striker.  We have strikers but the not well played or optimized so I need to keep the mobs off them and be highly survivable.  We often do not have leader either.  The one other PC I can count on is the wizard.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mathius

Yeah, get someone to play a leader. That's your problem. Handing even opt'd strikers to newbies doesn't make up for the fact they're newbies and will make new player mistakes in tactics, etc. Build a high-defense Shielding Swordmage and let them figure out one of them needs to play a leader or they keep dying. Your defender and a controller are fine. Damage isn't your problem it's margin of error. 

EVERY party, at least starting out, should start with a Leader and Defender and fill from there. 

+1
I know this wasn't your initial request, but have you considered playing a melee leader? Perhaps a battlefront warlord? As you said, your'e often without a leader, which is expected at a newb table. They just want to hit things. Scale and heavy shield will make being in melee palatable. Your buffs will turn unoptimized newbs into looking like competent regulars. Heals will greatly improve the party's durability. And if any of them are using estrikers (especially a thief or scout) they are begging to be granted some MBAs.
Granted, lacking a proper defender will be harsh, but I'll bet your last one died precisely because there wasn't a leader. And if the wizard has any control in em, they can at least provide a lil funneling to mitigate the missing defender.
If you gotta lead the newbs, might as well be a leader!
Tief- or Halfling Chaladin with WIS 14-16 and LoH & Divine or versatile Channeler (Cleric) Healer's Mercy as 1st level feat. Nuff said.

thanks for all the input guys.  As much as I would like to play leader, I know the table would not appriacate that.  Since I would rather have fun and socilize then make the absolute best PC for the table.  The two weapon palidin or the blackguard both might work  As much fun as the craghammer fighter would be I think I need to bring some healing to the table even if not a leader.  Gonna go and look at my options.  I will let you know what I want to play.

Mathius
Do get yourself a Battle Standard of Healing, if you want to off-lead. Costs a Standard Action to plant, but may be worth to do. Did I mention Divine Channeler - Healer's mercy? Laughing
Hi guys this is what I went with.  Thanks for all the ideas.  I can still make  changes but the class and magic items are set.  Let me know if I shoud change and feats/powers/backgrounds/abilities.  I went human with ardent strike to be a better defender.  He played well on wednessday

human blackguad

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Alain, level 3
Human, Paladin (Blackguard)
Vice: Vice of Domination
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 22 Fort: 15 Ref: 17 Will: 17
HP: 45 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +4, Bluff +12, Endurance +4, Intimidate +10, Thievery +4

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Arcana +0, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +0, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +0, Stealth –1, Streetwise +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Paladin Attack: Dread Smite
Paladin Utility: Shroud of Shadow
Paladin Attack 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Vengeance Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Dominator's Strike
Paladin Utility 2: Vice's Reward

FEATS
Level 1: Commanding Vow
Level 1: Deadly Draw