Bestproof

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
For the sake of posterity I am reposting this deck. It is a celebration of the new Hexproof keyword, designed to blank all burn and creature kill cards.

Bestproof

I went with aura support because Hexproof creatures mean it's much less dangerous to play auras. Unfortunatley green doesn't have the best enchantments out there. But Elephant Guide is amazing and Bear Umbra seems like it would be a lot of fun. 
Aura Gnarlid would love to play with those enchantments. I'm sure you saw Boar Umbra, I guess it's a toss up over Elephant Guide. I'd also try and cram 4 Rancor's into the deck, but then comes the eternal question: What to cut? :/

EDIT: Actually, I'd say  Boar Umbra is better than Elephant Guide because you get to keep the original (hexproof) creature.
The only problem with the gnarlid is that the moment I play a creature without Hexproof all those Doom Blades and Shocks my opponent has been uselessly hoarding have a big old target. Hexproof is kind of all or nothing like that. You may be right about Boar Umbra. Boar Umbra is worse on the scout but it's more important to have a small hexproof creature with evasion survive then getting a slightly larger creature. And the Elder and Thrun need to survive at all costs.
How do u plan on dealing with sweepers? wrath of god, day of judgement, damnation, pyroclasm,slagstorm all come to mind as bad news sac effects like innocent blood, gatekeeper of malakir, geth's verdictt are also gonna bite you Sorta betting on stoping just targeted removal is not gonna work too well. Permission/control decks typically account for these dilemma's. Counters are also a prob (but that could be said about any deck). What's your contigency plan? Cuz it seems like u are building to hate on control decks, and there are just so many ways around it. Just curious

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

The Umras take care of a lot of that. This deck is pretty capable of going all one man army. Generally the creatures will be out of red sweepers damage range and Wrath should with any luck only take out a creature and a umbra. Getting two-for-oned is never fun but with the enchantress even that can generally be avoided what with all the enchantments cantripping. I'm pretty confident this deck can play through board sweeps although its just theory. As for counters Thrun is like a nightmare for permission decks. I guess I could increase the number of creatures. This is it for good Hexproof guys but Shroud is almost as good. 
Good call on the umbra's. Hard to get an easy 2 for 1 with hexproof. Be interesting to see if u could do this standard. If not, extended could be sweet.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

I contest! There's a shroud creature there! :D

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sweet deck, but I do have one suggestion:

Lose Gladecover Scout.  It's not worth it.  (personal experience with using Slippery Bogle)
Replace it with either Troll Ascetic or Plated Slagwurm.

But then again, your deck may be different enough from my attempt that it does work, I dunno; just don't be afraid to cut it if it's underperforming.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Thanks! I'm definitely not too hot on Gladecover Scout. But I'm a little worried about the early game for this deck. It doesn't play any threats till the third turn really (Edgewalker is not going to be blocking any goblins). And if I cut the Scout it means I'm down four potential aura targets. One of my worst fears for the deck is that I could end up with a bunch of Umbras and no creatures to play them on.

If I do replace the Scout it'll be with something that can keep me alive with chump blocks early on. Something like Tukatongue Thallid. It doesn't have Hexproof but trying to blow it up just creates card disadvantage.
Thanks! I'm definitely not too hot on Gladecover Scout. But I'm a little worried about the early game for this deck. It doesn't play any threats till the third turn really (Edgewalker is not going to be blocking any goblins). And if I cut the Scout it means I'm down four potential aura targets. One of my worst fears for the deck is that I could end up with a bunch of Umbras and no creatures to play them on.

If I do replace the Scout it'll be with something that can keep me alive with chump blocks early on. Something like Tukatongue Thallid. It doesn't have Hexproof but trying to blow it up just creates card disadvantage.

Llanowar Elves or Birds of paradise (they fly) ?

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Perhaps a few instances of Shield of the Oversoul? Nothing like a hexproof, indestructible creature: I find it often helps out with the early game. Also fits in with the theme somewhat.

The tukatongue thallid is a very good choice for stall in mono-G.  I have a personal favorite though, in the form of Broodhatch Nantuko.  Yes it is more susceptible to Black spot removal (like Doom Blade) than the thallid, since a kill card will not produce insect tokens, however the purpose of this card is to defend you in the EARLY game as a chump blocker against attackers where the opponent may or may not have drawn his kill spells already.  And if they're playing a kill spell that early in the game it means they don't have the mana to also drop a threat that same turn (barring something like a kicked Gatekeeper of Malakir which is a terror for this deck anyway).

Thinking about it now, this type of deck has two real weaknesses off the top of my head:  Deathtouch and forced sacrifice effects.  Deathtouch is mitigated by the Umbras and is outright thwarted by the above mentioned Shield of the Oversoul (good find Apollo_8089).  That leaves us with forced sacrifice.  The best way to fight forced sacrifice with green is tokens (and lots of Rancors).  Since we're already running auras I suggest one or more of the following:
Druid's Call (probably the weakest of these options)
Squirrel Nest (if you erm...want to throw in Earthcraft too I won't stop you...XD [Bad Johnny, bad!])
Fists of Ironwood
Verdant Embrace

Hm...we're weak to flying too.  Spidersilk Armor?

Oh and I found some nice lands too, you'll see them below.

After this thought experiment here's one plausible deck I see:

Creatures

Non-Creatures
[deck]
4x Rancor
2x Fists of Ironwood
2x Spidersilk Armor
4x Shield of the Oversoul
2x Boar Umbra
2x Bear Umbra
[/deck]

Lands
[deck]
4x Treetop Village
4x Blinkmoth Nexus
2x Yavimaya Hollow
1x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
4x Khalni Garden
4x Mishra's Factory
6x Forest
[/deck]

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

Looks pretty good I just have a couple minor tweaks. Instead of Spidersilk armor which doesn't really do anything other than give Reach why not run Spider Umbra? And if you want to run cool land then you need to drop Dungrove Elder- he demands more trees! Luckily he swaps with the original trollshroud creature, Troll Ascetic.
Looks pretty good I just have a couple minor tweaks. Instead of Spidersilk armor which doesn't really do anything other than give Reach why not run Spider Umbra? And if you want to run cool land then you need to drop Dungrove Elder- he demands more trees! Luckily he swaps with the original trollshroud creature, Troll Ascetic.

Spidersilk Armor vs. Spider Umbra
Spidersilk Armor gives reach to all your critters, not just whoever happens to be enchanted at the time.  This includes any tokens and/or manlands.

Spider Umbra gives the enchanted creature an extra layer of armor to defend against deathtouch/board nukes.

If your opponent has lots of fliers the silk is better, if they just have a few huge beating flyers then the umbra is better.  It's really a matter of your opponent's board position as to which is more relevant.  Your choice.

Doh! on the Dungrove Elder.  Well I can guarantee going with a bunch of basic lands will be cheaper, monetarily, to build and will also give you another potentially huge beater in the form of the elder.  If you run the 'cool land' package you have more creatures in general available to you, plus some more utility, but you lose the potentially monstrous butt of the elder.  Also, cool manlands survive sorcery speed board nukes (sadly they are still vulnerable to instant speed spot removal).

Be advised that you do not want to put creature enchantments on to animated man-lands as they will fall off the land at the end of the turn when it ceases to be a creature.  The only exception to this is Rancor as it will come back to your hand anyway.

Post #777

Just so you are aware, Argothian Enchantress doesn't have Hexproof. She has Shroud, so you can't use Totem Armor to protect her.

If you run Asceticism, you can run Verduran Enchantress, who can don Totem Armor enchantments. Plus you have access to Regeneration to your creatures.
Kingofgames01 a.k.a. Dr.Kog I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Be on later, pumping iron now
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!
Yeah she did. Did you see what she wore? Purple *graped*
Sign In to post comments