Rich, RICH I TELL YOU! - Question

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been getting back into DMing for Dungeons and Dragons 4e lately. New players abound at my local shop.

The issue that I am having is my players are getting wealthy, fast. Typically only four players through three encounters are walking out better than they would have if they were fighting under the wealthiest nations flag.

Do any of you have any tips or suggestions? I've come to the conclusion, so far, that lowering the rewards by half seems to pace things alright. Letting Level 1's start off with only 5 gold and basics for gear.

This just feels wrong though.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-DM Vexar 
I've been getting back into DMing for Dungeons and Dragons 4e lately. New players abound at my local shop.

The issue that I am having is my players are getting wealthy, fast. Typically only four players through three encounters are walking out better than they would have if they were fighting under the wealthiest nations flag.

Do any of you have any tips or suggestions? I've come to the conclusion, so far, that lowering the rewards by half seems to pace things alright. Letting Level 1's start off with only 5 gold and basics for gear.

-DM Vexar 

I use the level treasure budget of 2xPC's level in magical items = Treasure for 5 guys.
For example 1st level PC's =720gp of treasure plus 3 magical items of level 2-5

or 5th level party 2000gp in treasure for the level, plus 3 magical items of 6th - 9th level.

Then I just drop the treasure in during the adventure by dividing it between minor end of adventure encounters and the final end of level encounter, usually giving the bigger amount to the end of level adventure.

E.g 5th level party and the Dragons horde, it consists of 500gp( Gold,Silver and some copper), 100gp in bejewelled sword, a stature of Corellon-Elven god made of silver with gold embellishment and gems for eyes( 250gp), 2x gems worth 50gp, 5xgems worth 10gp = total 1000gp. 
I see!

That's where I've been messing up.

I would do the 1000gp towards the end, as well as rewarding what the players loot.

Thanks for the quick help! 
Well, adventuring pays better than being a soldier in an army, so you can expect them to be wealthier than mercenaries of the richest people around. The treasure parcel system (DMG p. 126) gives your players a standard amount of money and magic items, and can be adapted for the number of players. The idea is that you give your players all those items over the duration of one level.
The newer (but not necessarily better/worse) system has you rolling for treasure. Based on the level, you roll 4d20 every time you want to hand out treasure, and based on the result you give them gold, gems, art objects and magic items for each dice roll respectively. This can all be found in the Dungeon Master's Book starting at page 246.

Stick to these limits and your players probably won't get that superrich.
But they will still become pretty rich if you remember that one silver piece is roughly worth one dollar, if not more.

Also, some more information regarding why and how you think your players are getting too much money, like examples, would help people help you. 
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign
Once again, thank you!

I had been handing things out wrong, basically I was doing what they should get at the end of the major encounter, for every single encounter.

I'll be sure not to be in so much a rush in the future. 

-DM Vexar 

Given a gold piece amounts to a week's wages for a soldier I suggest you simply allocate then an assortment of 'old and poor quality equipment' to their starting wealth value and loose currency in the poorest coin possible based on social class (copper for poor, silver for merchant, gold for noblemen).

Treasures can be monstrously wealthy. Given the recent discovery of a treasure hoard in only one of six vaults in an Urban located Hindu Temple in India of 36 billion dollars (translates to about 15 million gp), Discovered treasures can be monstrous even for first level PCs. Its their capacity to get away with the wealth that defines them.

If they are getting too rich then introduce greed. Villagers who see them flashing gold around will gang up and rob them while they sleep. Local Authorities might sieze the assets of a wealthy individual in the guise of 'Taxes' simply to reduce the fortunes of the victim. Nobles have been known to confiscate the assets of Merchants and lesser nobles alike simply because they have blown their own dough and resented the prosperity of their rivals. It isnt uncommon for a noble to force a wealthy adventurer or merchant to loan a noble money that isnt paid back. A Merchant house in japan had loaned assorted nobles and officials some staggering hundred million ryu at the time the shogunate 'confiscated' it's assets.

Have some local bureaucrat start screwing the PCs for all they are worth.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
I had been handing things out wrong, basically I was doing what they should get at the end of the major encounter, for every single encounter.

Yeah, that'd do it.

Suggestion:  Explain to the players what happened, and tell 'em it's going to change, but don't alter anything you've already given out.  They're rich, let 'em have some fun with it.  Offer some chances to spend it in non-mechanical things - a house or a castle rather than magic items, retainers and apprentices and assistants rather than consumables, etc - and try to have fun with it, and give out less from here on in.

Remember, the "suggested wealth" tables from the DMG are for a full party of 5 PCs, and they're *per level*.  That's what you should get between that level and the next one, total.  For fewer PCs, there's instructions for modifying the table.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Also, if your PCs spend money on non-magic items or consumables, make sure that you give them more money the next level or something, so that their expected wealth level stays roughly the same (don't do this if all they did is give 2 cp to a beggar).
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign
Also, if your PCs spend money on non-magic items or consumables, make sure that you give them more money the next level or something, so that their expected wealth level stays roughly the same (don't do this if all they did is give 2 cp to a beggar).

They've got "too much" as-is.  Let drains be drains, and as long as the drain is something *cool*, go with it.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Suggestion:  Explain to the players what happened, and tell 'em it's going to change, but don't alter anything you've already given out.  They're rich, let 'em have some fun with it.  Offer some chances to spend it in non-mechanical things - a house or a castle rather than magic items, retainers and apprentices and assistants rather than consumables, etc - and try to have fun with it, and give out less from here on in.

I'd go with this but specifically encourage them that if there's anything they want for RP reasons that doesn't offer them a mechanical advantage, whether it's magical or not... heck, even make some such things available at a slight discount, in order to soak some wealth out of the players.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Right, as has been said, smaller parties get less treasure per the parcel or random treasure generator rules.  And you only hand out ten parcels' worth per level, whether you use the original DMG parcels or the revised random system in Essentials (which I find more fun because it's not so predictable!). 

Also, there's plenty of stuff in 4e to spend money on.  A huge amount of things!

I blogged about it recently actually, right here:

Got Coin?  How to Best Spend Your Gold in 4e

Enjoy
LEONINE ROAR : Amp Up Your D&D Game : Visit my D&D blog :: FASTER COMBAT : Crush Your Combat Grind
Right, as has been said, smaller parties get less treasure per the parcel or random treasure generator rules.  And you only hand out ten parcels' worth per level, whether you use the original DMG parcels or the revised random system in Essentials (which I find more fun because it's not so predictable!). 

Also, there's plenty of stuff in 4e to spend money on.  A huge amount of things!

Enjoy

I don't have my DMG on me but I thought the recomendation was to drop parcels if below 5 members (specific ones suggested) and add if above (again specific ones mentioned) resulting in less/more than 10 parcels a level

Enjoy

I don't have my DMG on me but I thought the recomendation was to drop parcels if below 5 members (specific ones suggested) and add if above (again specific ones mentioned) resulting in less/more than 10 parcels a level

Yes, you're correct.  Separating my two points above would have been more clear, my mistake.

The standard is 10 parcels per level for a 5 character party.

Smaller parties than the standard 5 characters get less parcels or treasure per level.
LEONINE ROAR : Amp Up Your D&D Game : Visit my D&D blog :: FASTER COMBAT : Crush Your Combat Grind