[Metagame Discussion] 2011 Nationals Breakdown

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
So we have 2 top 8's from France and Australia, and we're seeing a fairly Rock Paper Scissors meta with not nearly as much Valakut as red

AUSTRALIA
2 TwinPod
2 Tempered Steel
BR Vampires
Goblins
Shrine Red
UW Control

FRANCE
2 Shrine Red
2 Caw Blade
UW Control
BR Vampires
Bant Pod
Elves 

If we combine this with Japan Nats from last weekend

JAPAN
3 Valakut
2 Tempered Steel
UB Tezz
UB Control
GW Pod Aggro 

That gives us the following

4 Tempered Steel
3 Valakut
3 Shrine Red
2 Twin Pod 
2 UW Control
2 Vampires
2 Caw Blade

6 other decks (2 pod variants, 2 Aggro variants, 2 UB Control variants)

Seems to be a fairly wide open meta

DISCUSS 
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
Steel is a good nice deck. I'm just surprised about some build using Skites in the MD. You're an aggro deck, crying out loud. Why would you ever, EVER MD a control card?

Interesting to see so little Caw/Blade as opposed to SCG meta.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Steel is a good nice deck. I'm just surprised about some build using Skites in the MD. You're an aggro deck, crying out loud. Why would you ever, EVER MD a control card?

Not so much a control card as much as it is a solid card for any aggro mirror, as well as a dismember-proof dude once TS hits the field. I honestly think spellskite is undercosted for it's impact on the board.

Photobucket

Not so much a control card as much as it is a solid card for any aggro mirror, as well as a dismember-proof dude once TS hits the field. I honestly think spellskite is undercosted for it's impact on the board.

It's a 0 power, 2 CMC dude, in an aggro deck. AGGRO DECK. Honestly.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Evasion
Mirror Tech
Naturalize effects tech
Goblin Tech 
Oh and it's a 3/6 with a steel and a signal pest

why DON'T you run it?

besides, two mana is almost the top of the curve XD 
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts

Australian metagame is always a bit out there when it comes to Nationals, so it's never that representative.

I noticed that Antoine Ruel and Olivier are in contact with Australian friends for their deckbuilding; and O is using my secret power deck! I knew I shouldn't have told my LGS friends to play it. :P

Spellskite is a funny MD card. I totally support it in the SB, but I'm not sure it's really necessary in the maindeck of Tempered Steel. 
Evasion
Mirror Tech
Naturalize effects tech
Goblin Tech 
Oh and it's a 3/6 with a steel and a signal pest

why DON'T you run it?

besides, two mana is almost the top of the curve XD 

You draw this:

Skite, Skite, Vault Skirge, Mox, Land, Land, Dispatch

And suddenly your deck is awful.

How is it a mirror tech when Legionnaire deals with everything on board even with a Steel out for example? Eating dispatches?

Yeah, when it eats removal, you think you're so awesome and clever, until when you realize HEY, YOU COULD BE A REAL THREAT THAT WOULD EAT REMOVAL OR WIN THE GAME OTHERWISE BRO.

I'm not against it in the side. It's a nice tech vs Twin decks and those who wanna Naturalize your steel, right. But how a 0 power creature finds a place in an aggro deck I will never understand.

Also, Steel already has a good MU vs goblins (which as a deck doesn't even exist to begin with, but w/e S1AL will come here). Why would you play a WALL in an AGGRO DECK in an AGGRO MIRROR? So you can hold their early dudes while you fly over them with... Vault Skirge, before they overwhelm you with Bushwhacker shenenigans?

Coincidentally, J@ps nats winning list didn't run a single Skite in MD. That's the way you roll in an aggro deck and sweep an ultra-competitive nats (maybe second only to american nats) with an AGGRO DECK.

Edit: J@ps is censored wtf?

'j@ps' is fairly derogatory, historically. I know you were just using abrv.s and weren't racist ranting but it's the sort of thing that might crop up in a authentic-internet-grown-racist-rant (TM). ANYWAYS. Isn't it nice how many different decks there are right now. Makes me wish they banned Jace and Mystic earlier.
Not gonna lie, I was wondering about Spellskite in the main of Steel myself.  I second the aforementioned thought that a 0/4 wall is terrible in the main of an aggro deck.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Not gonna lie, I was wondering about Spellskite in the main of Steel myself.  I second the aforementioned thought that a 0/4 wall is terrible in the main of an aggro deck.

this.  completely and utterly this.

terrible idea is terrible.  you don't play a 0/4 wall MD for any reason ever in an aggro deck.
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]

It actually makes life as Valakut pretty rough. You can't Slagstorm it away, it absorbs Valakut triggers, etc. Good card.

That said, my recent experience with Steel has been watching it just get hated out of the tournament environment.
First off, Skite isn't a wall.

I think it is mainly there to protect your Overseers, as they are really important for the deck too. Not saying it is right, but there is a reason it is there.
Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7

It beats when you have steel, and most importantly protects your steel and overseer.

I second the aforementioned thought that a 0/4 wall is terrible in the main of an aggro deck.

IT IS NOT A WALL
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal

It beats when you have steel, and most importantly protects your steel and overseer.

I second the aforementioned thought that a 0/4 wall is terrible in the main of an aggro deck.

IT IS NOT A WALL

It is quite the wall in my eyes. It's useless when you don't have Steel and sits pretty lame. Again: Any other threat like Legionnaire would demand an answer and therefore protect your steel or overseer indirectly, anyway.
The deck itself is pretty useless without steel, tbh. This is why I would personally want to run the UW version with preordains.
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal
UW version with Trinket Mage also seems powerful.
Photobucket
Spellskite is very strong. I think that people who don't like it haven't seen it in action enough times. It really messes with your opponent's game plan and forces them into making bad decisions. It's much better than a wall. It's colorless, stops early attacks, eats burn spells, and and can save more important creatures from dismemberment. Not to mention with a temepered steel out it it becomes an even more annoying 2/6 that can now eat dismembers. Plus it's capable of attacking once you get a tempered steel out (attacking usefully), making it better than a wall right there.

Play against the deck a few times and you will find out why spellskite is in there.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
what about the idea of adding green for beastmaster ascension?

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Any other links?  That didn't work for me.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.