STAT CARDS

Hi all,

I am new to d&d miniatures.  I played and collected sw minis from the beginning, but decided to get into d&d minis as fantasy has always been my thing (mage knight for example)... and d&d has dragonborn!

Anyway, i have been collecting minis here and there and discovered the ddm site.  However I was wondering what kind of paper/plastic/etc everyone uses when they print out the cards.  I am looking for profesional, stock looking cards, like the later made cards.  Otherwise I will just use heavy paper/card stock if I can't find anything else.

Also, on the rules side of things, what does everyone find plays best? 1.0 rules, 2.0 rules, or ddm rules?  1.0 seems a lot like sw minis and I don't like how 2.0/ddm took away all those extra attacks my dragonborn had...

thanks everyone!

p.s. anyone have a snow angel they want to get rid of?

I think 2.0 targeting is more freewheeling, with SWM falling somewhere in between the two.

I think the tradeoff from 1.0 to 2.0 is that the attacks do more damage, even if there are less of them- they are easier to get off.  The melee has to be pretty static in 1.0 to be able to continuously get off a lot of attacks.  And then, you might just run away anyway.

That's both a strength and a weakness of the game, btw, so what it comes down to is the style of play you like.  I happen to like the original rules very much, but I have been charged first with maintaining the revised (or current) edition of the game. 

Have to say after playing both games for the first time, that I probably like 2.0 more even though the number of attacks are far less.  I am a bit confused on some of the stat cards however.  I have observed:

1.0 cards
2.0 cards
DDM cards

I know that the DDM site is in charge of the stat cards and updating the game.  the DDM site confuses me a bit however.  Under the updated rules pdf's, some of the 1.0 sets are in the nice 2.0 format with a pic of the mini, etc. Some of the others are in a different format with will, ref, and fort instead of def.  I understand this is the new direction...

I am trying to find legendary evils, savage encounters, LOM, etc in the WOTC 2.0 format, and also in the WOTC 1.0 format.  Do these exist or is everything going to this third type?  Is there an archive of 1.0 with 2.0 converted back, and archive of 2.0 with 1.0 converted forwards, and an archive of the new DDM direction?  

I was happy trying to reprint all my 1.0 cards in the 2.0 format. I don't want to have to reprint every card from every set again...
I'm not sure what you're looking for in 2.0 cards, but I believe all the latest versions of these are now uploaded, plus there are some "red carded" versions of, e.g. Eternal Blade.

For 1.0 - not all conversions are complete - as the lead designer for this I am pleased to inform you that DoD, LoM and PHH2 are all in progress. DoD is pretty near to Beta release to the community, LoM will follow about a month behind and PHH2 is presently in the pipeline with a set of Alpha stats in RFC state.

Starter Set 2008 is ready - but we are also developing a new manual for 1.0 and these will be released together. That might take some time.

Hope that helps - just keep checking the DDM guild site  
Have to say after playing both games for the first time, that I probably like 2.0 more even though the number of attacks are far less.  I am a bit confused on some of the stat cards however.  I have observed:

1.0 cards
2.0 cards
DDM cards

I know that the DDM site is in charge of the stat cards and updating the game.  the DDM site confuses me a bit however.  Under the updated rules pdf's, some of the 1.0 sets are in the nice 2.0 format with a pic of the mini, etc. Some of the others are in a different format with will, ref, and fort instead of def.  I understand this is the new direction...

I am trying to find legendary evils, savage encounters, LOM, etc in the WOTC 2.0 format, and also in the WOTC 1.0 format.  Do these exist or is everything going to this third type?  Is there an archive of 1.0 with 2.0 converted back, and archive of 2.0 with 1.0 converted forwards, and an archive of the new DDM direction?  

I was happy trying to reprint all my 1.0 cards in the 2.0 format. I don't want to have to reprint every card from every set again...

The DDM Cards are the most informative of the group - ie., you will have the easiest time understanding how the rules interact with each other.  They don't have pictures, however, because the guild did not want to infringe on the copyrights associated with the sculpts.  Unlike the game, rules, logso, etc, artwork is often at least partially owned by the original artist, and we just wanted to make certain we respect that.

Does that make sense?

Alepulp is *the* force behind 1.0, a very good game in its own right, and I try my best to help whenever I can, but its like juggling cats while baking bread and skiing - tough to keep it all going at once.
BTW I have been doing more research and I think I have the card thing down to a science... you both have been extremely helpfull as well.  You guys have done a great job on the cards.  I found all the 1.0 sets and 1.0 sets converted into the 2.0 sets with pics.  I also found all the other sets as well as the 2.0 sets done in the DDM scheme.

I agree that the DDM cards are the easiest to read.  I have 2.0 cards for almost every unit I own now, except for the sets that there are no 2.0 cards for (dangerous delves, leg evils, sav encounters, lom, PHH sets 1 and 2)  For these sets I have the extremely well done DDM cards.

I still have a question however... lets take the savage encounters unit #11 the dragonborn death knight. He has 26 fort 25 ref and 25 will. he also has an attack that is +18 vs fort.  Now lets say he attacks a dragonborn paladin of bahmut. His 2.0 card has a def of 21, but no fort, ref, or will. What value does this fort attack go against?

....I guess my origional question clarified is: a normal 2.0 card has no fort, ref, or will, just one DEF. If a unit with a DDM card attacks a unit with a 2.0 card are you just supposed to use the one DEF # for all attacks vs ref, fort, and will? I see most units have the same value for will, ref, and fort.  However some have different values which could change the game.

This is where I find the difference in the DDM cards and the 2.0 cards, thus 1.0, 2.0, and DDM (2.5)

This is why I was wondering if dangerous delves, leg evils, sav encounters, lom, and the PHH's sets cards have been completed in the 2.0 template as well.  I don't want to have to print every card I have in the new DDM scheme even though it is easier to read and play with due to the time, investment in ink, 110 weight paper, and laminating sheets

thanks!
You need to look at the Tournament Rules (or Floor Rules) found on the DDM Guild website, it has a great explanation of the different cards and what to expect.

For the Original Edition (OE) there are 3 formats of the card; original black and white cards and colour cards produced by WotC up until 200 (night Below set being the final). With the re-boot of the game no more of this version were produced by WotC. Since then, stalwart members of the Guild have retro-statted some of the sets produced since. These are the third format of OE (or 1.0) cards.

For the Revised edition (RE or DDM2) there are two formats of the card; those produced by WotC and those under the DDM Guild. The WotC cards are those with a single figure DEF stat, the DDM Guild cards have DEF listed as the three separate stats. Part of your query seemed to be about having WotC cards for the latest sets, this is unlikely to happen as they no longer produce them.

I would hazard a guess that any future card releases will be in the format of the DDM Guild, see set 19 Legendary Evils in both OE and RE.

Hope this helps with your queries regarding the cards.

....I guess my origional question clarified is: a normal 2.0 card has no fort, ref, or will, just one DEF. If a unit with a DDM card attacks a unit with a 2.0 card are you just supposed to use the one DEF # for all attacks vs ref, fort, and will? I see most units have the same value for will, ref, and fort.  However some have different values which could change the game.

This is where I find the difference in the DDM cards and the 2.0 cards, thus 1.0, 2.0, and DDM (2.5)

yes, DEF = fort, ref or will, though some creatures get a bonus to that score if it says so in the abilities next to the keyword section.  But the cards are perfectly interchangeable (by design) for play.  There is rules difference - but note that having seperate scores on the DDM cards allows for extra personalization of the cards during the design process.

This is why I was wondering if dangerous delves, leg evils, sav encounters, lom, and the PHH's sets cards have been completed in the 2.0 template as well.  I don't want to have to print every card I have in the new DDM scheme even though it is easier to read and play with due to the time, investment in ink, 110 weight paper, and laminating sheets

thanks!

No, in fact, the opposite is what will occur. 
All of the original sets are being converted from the 2.0 format to the DDM format, which is preferred by most of the current players. Also, whenever there is a difference between the 2.0 and DDM cards, for tournament play, the DDM card description trumps the original card, as the more recent release of the card.

Sign In to post comments