A Detektor Blip: Rushwood Trophist

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rushwood Trophist 
Creature - Elf Shaman [R]
When Rushwood Trophist enters the battlefield, reveal any number of cards from the top of your library. Put them in ascending order by converted mana cost. (If two or more cards are tied by converted mana cost, put those cards in any order.)
From planet to plant, from prey to predator. 
2/2
Ascending order would mean smallest on top, or biggest on top?

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

What are they teaching our children in school these days?

What are they teaching our children in school these days?

Ascending is a highly contextual term. There are numerous ways to apply the word to such an ordering of cards, so frankly your use of English in this case is ambiguous. But if you're gonna be a dick about it, then nevermind.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Rushwood Trophist 
When Rushwood Trophist enters the battlefield, reveal any number of cards from the top of your library. Put them in ascending order by converted mana cost. (If two or more cards are tied by converted mana cost, put those cards in any order.)
1/1

Stack 60.

And that would happen in 43 Lands, if room could be made for it. 
First turn this. second turn treasure hunt

Any number of cards is way too dangerous on a 1 mana guy regardless if treasure hunt exist. 

I agree with nova cat. It's maybe/kinda intuitive that you'd put smallest on top. But if you create room for people to argue over it, then it's not worth such wordings.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Stack 60.

I'm not familiar with most netdecks. What's the combo?

Also, no offence meant to Novacat. 99.9% of posts I make with an emoticon are not meant to be taken seriously. 
try 3 mana i guess/..... scouting trek let's you do almost the same thing but it only do it with basic land. 

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Smallest on top.

This seems to be too... epic of an effect to cost one mana, really.

Stack 60.

I'm not familiar with most netdecks. What's the combo?

Also, no offence meant to Novacat. 99.9% of posts I make with an emoticon are not meant to be taken seriously. 

It's a deck. With 43 lands. Manlands, Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale, etc.

Anyway, even if that wasn't broken, it would be a major pain in the ass for the other person to wait for you to stack your deck, which is what this card encourages. 
It would be intuitive to me to put the highest costing card on the top, tbh.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Anyway, even if that wasn't broken, it would be a major pain in the ass for the other person to wait for you to stack your deck, which is what this card encourages. 

Well, under most circumstances you wouldn't pick a number higher than, say, seven, in order to secure several turns' worth of land drops in the early game. That's what the original version of the card specified, but I changed it to a number of your choice in order to see what people thought.
It would be intuitive to me to put the highest costing card on the top, tbh.

I would think it'd make more sense that the spell would put the card with the lowest converted mana cost on top (so that it's ascending as you draw), but I can definitely see reading it to mean the highest on top, with the lowest on the bottom (so it's ascending in the stack you put back on the library).
I read "ascending order" to mean "lowest cmc on top"

I think it's undercosted at 1, but would probably be fair at 2 or 3 cmc.  Card should specify that you choose the number of cards to reveal before you start revealing them because I don't think it's 100% clear from the text.

I really feel this should be a spell and cost .
I interpreted "ascending order" as "highest on top". but basically, I think the issue is mainly that it doesn't tell you which end it's calling the "start". you're saying that the start is the top, but nothing about the card specifically supports that reading.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I really feel this should be a spell and cost .

Well, you got half your wish.
Treasure Hunt

Exactly what I was thinking. Cast this. Treasure Hunt for all your lands. Drop Reliquary Tower.
Manabond would be a fun combo  with that too. Especially because you could stack your library so that banefire is on top.

(and by fun i mean a 3 card combo)
IMAGE(http://kherkeep.com/images/smilies/plowbeast.png)Why can't everyone see the inherent goodness in destruction? Or the evil in creation? A forest cannot live without the nutrients provided by the destructive force of a forest fire. And if I am wrong, then why is lifeblood of creation - water - the most destructive force on the planet? 701.4. Cast
Rushwood Trophist 
When Rushwood Trophist enters the battlefield, reveal any number of cards from the top of your library. Put them in ascending order by converted mana cost. (If two or more cards are tied by converted mana cost, put those cards in any order.)
2/2

@ All the people talking about Treasure Hunting after this, it doesn't work with the current wording on the card (which is missing the "on top your library".  Currently, how it would work is that you would reveal X cards, then it would put the lowest CMC of those cards on top of your library, then it repeats the process until all X cards are ordered.  So if you set X equal to seven, and reveal 4 lands, Lanowar Elves, Runeclaw Bear, and Sun Titan.  The first four cards you put on top of your library would be the 4 lands, then the Lanowar Elves, then the Runeclaw Bear, then the Sun Titan.  So if you were to cast Treasure Hunt on your next turn, you would reveal Runeclaw Bear.  

Returning to the card, the second part of what you actually do with the cards is missing.  You just "put them" somewhere, it doesn't indicate where.  It should read "Put them ________ in ascending order by converted mana cost", with the blank most likely being "on top of your library".  

Additionally, at this cost, with this current effect, this card is EXTREMELY overpowered.  It is basically, at it's worst, a 2 mana Mana Severance that gives you a 2/2 body and that can be reset by shuffle effects.  At its best, it's a 2 mana Mana Severance with a 2/2 body on a relevant tribe that orders your draws for the rest of the game.  

Overall, I like the idea behind this card, but it is unbalanced and you really should take care in making sure the cards not only work within the rules, but work unambiguously.  

Revealing things doesn't move them. They're still in your library the whole time.
Sign In to post comments