Seriously WoTC? A class Theme based off your CCG element of the new D and D?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I did not play D and D to play a CCG.

The Fatedancer there is based off your Fortune Cards?  Seriously?

For me, that's just another sign that I stopped playing (and buying) your game for good reason.

And that truly makes me sad.
WotC made (and lost, I suppose) it's fortune on CCGs.  Hasbro acquired it because it had a successful hot-property CCG (Pokemon, IIRC).  When the suits come around flogging you for ROI, one thing they're bound to parrot is "focus on your core competencies!"  CCGs are WotC's core competency.  The only thing surprising about CCG elements being added to Gamma World and D&D is that it took this long to happen.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I fail to see the problem with this, it only makes sense for them to et incorporated into characters somehow beyound their existance. 

and they are not a sign that you stoped playing for a good reason. Fortune cards are a novelty item, nothing more nothing less. If you are not into novelty items you ignore them, if you are you pick them up. 
And you were being forced to purchase Fortune Cards and take the Fatedancer theme by whom?

Nobody.

Purchasing Fortune Cards is not required for play, therefore your argument is utterly without merit.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
And you were being forced to purchase Fortune Cards and take the Fatedancer theme by whom?

Nobody.

Purchasing Fortune Cards is not required for play, therefore your argument is utterly without merit.

You so beat me to it ;)

I'll qualify that, if WotC was pouring out content that all required Fortune Cards so that you practically had to use them to use any new stuff then it would be a point. It seems like they're clever enough to know better. I guess only time will tell. Of course I'd point out that if you don't buy them they will probably go away faster and not appear in lots more places.

Or heck, you could just actually try them. I'm not enthused, but maybe there's something to them. One should always be cautious criticizing that which one has not any experience of.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
There is what, two themes and four magic items (glory boons) in total now that work with Fortune Cards? This is not something to get upset about, considering the ratio of content that does not.

Echoing others from the thread but...

Don't like it...

DON'T USE IT!

Seriously, why on earth is this so complicated for people?  I don't like Dark Sun(give me some Dragonlance instead), so I don't use it.  I wouldn't allow content from it in any of my games.  But that doesn't mean WotC shouldn't have made it.  Plenty of people are happy with it.  The same goes for this ONE, SINGULAR theme that works off of a product that I am sure plenty of people like.  It isn't like they devoted an entire issue to Fortune Cards.

Seriously, people, grow the F up.  I am getting sick and tired of people acting like toddlers on these message boards because the content Wizards of the Coast puts out doesn't bend to THEIR every whim.    

Also, this wassnt made by WotC, it was made by quinn murphy of 4e Atwill blod someone i highly respect on 4e design. 

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Personally, this is the first theme I like enough to use. I like the Fortune Cards, I think they're great fun. The opportunity to have TWO of them available, well, that's just gravy...

@Antioch: what is the other theme that uses the Fortune Cards?
I want a theme so you can use cards from Gamma World instead!
Cards work great for Gamma World because not only is the game designed around it, obviously, but ... YOU GET ALL THE CARDS YOU'LL EVER NEED WITH THE GAME.  No need to buy extra stuff.

I don't like the idea of classes/themes/whatever that benefit from buying cards but hey, I just won't use it.  Interesting idea but it's not for me.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I see this as an experiment. Maybe in 5e all races/classes/themes will have some link to CCGs. All optional, of course, but your PC will always be better with CCGs. 

As long as it's optional, I'm cool but I won't play in any games where one person gets a benefit because they can buy more stuff (MtG).  In my game, all the PCs can use any game element I allow even if they don't have the books because they can use my books when they level up.  I wouldn't want anyone to miss out just because they couldn't afford some of the sourcebooks.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Nobody.

Not only that, but if you bring fortune cards to my games you better be willing to share them with everyone or else you can put them away.  Actually, forget it.  Just put them away. 

With the ability to draw two cards instead of one, I imagine a 20 card deck would be needed. Most people I know use 10 card decks; this enables them to have a better chance of drawing the cards they like best. They always crack up when I plop my 40 card deck onto the table. My longest, lasting Essentials class, a16th level Druid Sentinel, has greatly benefited from the fortune cards.

This is an innovative theme. Too bad I refuse to use themes.

I'd love to see a class built around fortune cards.
Fortune cards are a lame money grab. Hopefully the sales will be low enough that WotC will give up on this terrible CCG idea.
I see this as an experiment. Maybe in 5e all races/classes/themes will have some link to CCGs. All optional, of course, but your PC will always be better with CCGs. 

As long as it's optional, I'm cool but I won't play in any games where one person gets a benefit because they can buy more stuff (MtG).  In my game, all the PCs can use any game element I allow even if they don't have the books because they can use my books when they level up.  I wouldn't want anyone to miss out just because they couldn't afford some of the sourcebooks.

Optional, but imagine every class and race have that optional element. How long will it take for optimizers to always arrive with a deck?

Or players whinning because the DM won't allow something in the PHB even if he is the only one with a deck?

They tried spell cards when 4e was launched. They didn't sell too well. Now cards with crunch...

Fortune cards are a lame money grab. Hopefully the sales will be low enough that WotC will give up on this terrible CCG idea.

Looks like they are doing very well by their standards. They have three sets now?

I know Wizards does things in sets of three in a year, no matter how poorly/well a product does. The biggest tell-tale would be if Fortune Cards are released in 2012- that would indicate how well they are doing. I like Fortune cards for Essentials but not for Core. I hope they do well because the derision they get from role-players cracks me up and offers much entertainment for me.
They spent the design time they freed up by doing a half-assed job on the vampire on it.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

Meh.

I plan to use my fortune card decks to muder lair assault, then laugh.

Broken cards are broken.
They spent the design time they freed up by doing a half-assed job on the vampire on it.

Once again, people's ignorance is showing...

WotC didnt write this, it was written by a theird party:  Quinn Murphy of 4e Atwill blog. 

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

I don't like Cards period.

Pokemon, Yugioh, Magic, none of it.

I kinda felt the same way when I came back about the minatures. I felt like I had to have the to play 4e.

Then once I wrapped my head around it I realised I didn't need the minatures but by then I kinda ended up liking them lol.        

I don't think I'll be doing cards those. I just don't like cards.

WotC didnt write this, it was written by a theird party:  Quinn Murphy of 4e Atwill blog. 

Oh, excellent, so now they're blindly publishing stuff without looking at it, playtesting it and tweaking it.  Or at least they do in your mind.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

I kinda felt the same way when I came back about the minatures. I felt like I had to have the to play 4e.

Then once I wrapped my head around it I realised I didn't need the minatures but by then I kinda ended up liking them lol.        

Which is fine.  Just don't begrudge or belittle those who do like the cards and other paraphernalia like others do.  They are purely optional, so there is no reason to engage in histrionics because of their existence.  Don't like 'em, don't buy 'em.  This is exactly what I did with Primal Power, for instance.  I have no interest in the Primal Power source.  I think it's kind of ridiculous, but if other people like it, they're free to enjoy it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Oh, excellent, so now they're blindly publishing stuff without looking at it, playtesting it and tweaking it.  Or at least they do in your mind.

So what proof do you have that they're just blindly publishing things? The fact it uses cards? The theme seems fine to me, and as someone who likes fotune cards they seem like it would be a fun way to use them at the table.

Nobody.

This, times a googleplex.

Fortune Cards are a fun addition to the game that can add unpredictability to combat. I wouldn't use them with a group that already takes forever to clear a round, but with my current group it adds another layer of fun to a combat encounter.

They're also completely optional. You don't have to use them.

It's also very easy to buy a single booster pack for the whole group and never expand from there. 4 dollars for a new layer to the game. That's less than a month's DDI sub.

People need to chill. Seriously.

Hunterian7: I'm really curious. Why do you refuse to use themes?

And Salla: Primal Power Source is rediculous? Buh? (too many things I want to discuss popping up in this thread...) I'm really curious about how magic tied to the spirits of the land/nature is rediculous.

Printing material writing by freelancers is not the same as blindly printing things without playtesting.

Where did you learn to think critically? Did you ever learn to think critically?

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

once again your ignorance is showing, you have no idea about any of the statements you proclaimed.

i have nothing productive nor worthwile to add to this thread.

Which is fine.  Just don't begrudge or belittle those who do like the cards and other paraphernalia like others do.  They are purely optional, so there is no reason to engage in histrionics because of their existence.  Don't like 'em, don't buy 'em.  This is exactly what I did with Primal Power, for instance.  I have no interest in the Primal Power source.  I think it's kind of ridiculous, but if other people like it, they're free to enjoy it.

why do you think primal power is ridiculous? lame concept or redudant scope? its not my favorite source either so just curious...

Sign In to post comments