Need help with the 2nd part of a hybrid

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to roll up a character who is good with a sword up close,  but can also launch ranged, magical attacks (kinda like Rand al'Thor). I'm thinking of a sorcerer hybrid, but I'm not sure what to cross it with. Don't really want to do two-weapon fighting so ranger is out. I guess the fighter or rogue.

What would be the best way to go?
probably a strength based sorcerer and a fighter is your best bet.
I would suggest a paladin/sorcerer hybrid, possibly picking the Paladin armor prof. hybrid talent options.  Both paladin and sorcerer have cha. based attacks.  The implement thing is convienient to since a paladin/sorcerer hybrid can use a holy symbol for both paladin and sorcerer powers and a holy symbol doesn't have to be wielded (it just need to be worn PHB 90) leaving their hands free for weapon and shield.  Good luck in making a character that you will enjoy.
Rogue|Sorcerer works, but it works best with a Dagger, which doesn't match the image I'm getting.  Barbarian is another class with good stat synergy.  Do you know what kind of role you'd want to fill in a party?  Do you envision yourself with a shield, with a free hand, with a sword in one hand and a wand/staff/rod in the other, with a huge sword that you channel spells through, or something else?  There are a lot of ways to create a character who has both sword skills and long range magical attacks (Bards and Warlocks can do it without leaving the class), so having a clearer vision of what you want is needed to say what's "best".

t~
I'm trying to roll up a character who is good with a sword up close,  but can also launch ranged, magical attacks (kinda like Rand al'Thor). I'm thinking of a sorcerer hybrid, but I'm not sure what to cross it with. Don't really want to do two-weapon fighting so ranger is out. I guess the fighter or rogue.

What would be the best way to go?

Sorcerer is sadly a bad Hybrid option, mostly because they're stuck in cloth armor so you'll either have to waste your Hybrid Talent feat on the other hybrid's armor feat or spend 2-3 feats to work your way into Leather, then Chain, then anything else you may want. Soul of the Sorcerer is a great feat if you think you can make up for armor in other ways.
If you're dead set on Sorcerer I'd suggest Sorcerer|Rogue.

If you're willing to look outside of sorcerer there are plenty of builds that cover the sword spell slinger. From the sounds of it you want to stick to the striker role so a straight Swordmage won't do you any good. I'd suggest looking into Warlock hybrids. You'll get plenty of damage, and more importantly better stat/class synergies. In fact there are solid builds out there for every defender class to hybrid with the Warlock. To go full striker I suggest looking at the new Blackguard hybrid rules and going Blackguard|Warlock. You'll get paladin level defenses with lots of extra damage. If you want to add a little healing or defending the Paladin (which the Blackguard can pull powers from) offers plenty of powers to make your build as versatile as you'd like it.

EDIT: Forgot to add the Divine option! Avenger|Invoker is an interesting combo worth looking into if you're willing to refluff him or want to work a purely Divine angle. 
thanks for the suggestions.

I want to fill a striker role with the character. I see him as someone who is a master swordsman but who has access to powerful, arcane abilities/attacks, either nuking groups from the back row before moving in close, and/or being able to blast someone from close range while engaged in melee. I like/perfer the idea of elemental powers/attacks. As I said, kinda like Rand al'Thor. And I picture him using just the one sword, the other hand open (I know, not optimal). Maybe using a spear as well.

I was thinking rogue because they do have that feat that allows them to use a heavy blade like a light blade, doing that might represent a master swordsman. Though I'm thinking fighter and the swordsman paragon would fit well. And I don't mind taking the fighters armor ability with the hybrid feat, I don't find those sorcorer options all that impressive.
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but Hexblade seems like a good fit (Pact Blade in one hand, rod in the other. Your at wills are both melee attacks and ranged arcane attacks). You're a bit strapped for dailies, however. If you don't like the whole "deal with the devil" aspect, just reflavor it so you are a dude with a magic lightsaber.

Warlock gish build may also suit you, especially if you are human and use your bonus at will to pick up Eldritch Strike. You can have a one handed weapon in one hand for melee, rod/wand in the other for ranged powers.

Infernal Warlocks, IMO, are solid gishes because CON is their main stat. If you pick up Eldritch strike, some close/touch attack powers and stat your ability scores so you can pick up a better armor proficiency, you should be good to go. I had an Infernal Warlock gish that I used as a companion character to help out the party when they were short staffed in a game I DMd, and it worked pretty well.

The Sorcerer-King pact (you'd pry need to reflavor this, as it is a Dark Sun pact), has lots of melee warlock powers that work well up close, in addition to the regular ranged warlock powers.

And again, if you don't like the pact theme, just reflavor.
If you can wait a few weeks, it looks like the Bladesinger might fit the concept pretty well. It's in the Neverwinter book due out next month.
It uses melee attacks and follows them up with ranged status-effect spells. There are a few threads around with links to a preview, and much discussion.
That said, only level 1 has been seen so far, so it's hard to tell whether it sticks to the theme you want as it advances.
thanks for the suggestions.

I want to fill a striker role with the character. I see him as someone who is a master swordsman but who has access to powerful, arcane abilities/attacks, either nuking groups from the back row before moving in close, and/or being able to blast someone from close range while engaged in melee. I like/perfer the idea of elemental powers/attacks. As I said, kinda like Rand al'Thor. And I picture him using just the one sword, the other hand open (I know, not optimal). Maybe using a spear as well.

I was thinking rogue because they do have that feat that allows them to use a heavy blade like a light blade, doing that might represent a master swordsman. Though I'm thinking fighter and the swordsman paragon would fit well. And I don't mind taking the fighters armor ability with the hybrid feat, I don't find those sorcorer options all that impressive.

Sounds like a Swordmage to me. Just go with a Swordmage|Warlock, ignore the Swordmage marking powers and instead go for their blast type powers or Immediate Action powers. If you go with Aegis of Assault it make you more of a teleporting kind of guy who's everywhere. Don't worry about multi-marking and just use your one mark whenever you need to help the party defender. The Warlock side can handle the damage. A Paragon Path like Malec-Keth Janissary sounds perfect for this.

A note about Rogue|Sorcerer is that you're stuck with daggers unless you take a feat like Arcane Implement Proficiency to use something bigger. 
Sign In to post comments