When is a creature targeted by an attack?

More precisely, when I charge a Sorcerer on Black Dragon with my Gelatinous Cube, when is the SoBD considered targeted (selected example creatures are irrelevant)? When I declare the charge, or when I end the movement part of the charge and actually do the attack part (with the targeting)?

You declare an attack before attacking.
If it's a charge attack, it's before "Charging" , not in the middle of the attack. (The move is part of the attack).
You declare an attack before attacking.
If it's a charge attack, it's before "Charging" , not in the middle of the attack. (The move is part of the attack).

All parts of an attack are declared before the any part of the attack occurs.

For a charge, for example, you say "I charge X."  X is targeted, and then you physically do the charge.

You don't say "I charge" then move, and then say "I attack X with the charge."

As far as area attacks go, (fireball example) you target everything that is in range of the fireball's AoE as soon as you declare where you're casting the fireball (technically, even creatures you can't normally target are considered targeted when this happens) 
Salla, on minions: I typically use them as encounter filler. 'I didn't quite fill out the XP budget, not enough room left for a decent near-level monster ... sprinkle in a few minions'. Kind of like monster styrofoam packing peanuts.
All parts of an attack are declared before the any part of the attack occurs.

For a charge, for example, you say "I charge X."  X is targeted, and then you physically do the charge.

You don't say "I charge" then move, and then say "I attack X with the charge."

Declared yes, but targeted?
When a charge is declared, the course of action is laid out - it is known what the charging creature intends to do.
But this is not yet same as targeting the victim with basic melee (or whichever charge-allowable attack it may be using).

For one thing, that melee attack targeting is restricted by reach considerations.

Also: Is charge an attack as such?
There are four types of attacks: melee, ranged, close, and area;
charge listed? Nope...

So being targeted by charge is not yet being targeted by attack...
Good thing too... there would be a number of silly consequences (e g with False Tears) if the charge melee targeted from distance...

As far as area attacks go, (fireball example) you target everything that is in range of the fireball's AoE as soon as you declare where you're casting the fireball (technically, even creatures you can't normally target are considered targeted when this happens)

Arguably the area is determined first, then the creatures occupying that area get targeted --- or don't get targeted in case Red Hand War Sorcerer decides to ignore allies in the area. If the targeting were a foregone conclusion after stating the "point of impact" RHWS's Precise Casting could not work as its description says.

Would really love to get Tried's, or Thekk's input on this, if possible.
A charge is an attack action, that has an attack component at the end of it.
A charge has certain requirements that are declared up front - target of the charge and target end square.
Once reaching that square, the creature performs an attack, in which they formally declare the target of the attack.
Sign In to post comments