Add D&D Characters to Your Onesite Profile

61 posts / 0 new
Last post

We've set up a new software option that's available on your profile page. The “My Characters” module lets you display mini-profiles of your D&D characters in your Wizards Community profile, for others to browse, critique, and admire. You can import details directly from the D&D Character Builder or manually type them into a form.  

It looks like this on your profile page:

And like this when you open it:

To add this module to your profile page, use the Drag & Drop menu at the bottom left column of your profile page.

• Click the “on” button. 

• Scroll down to “My Characters” in the list of modules, and click the “Add” button. 

• You can now drag the module into a new position in any column. 

• When you are done, click “Off” to save your changes. 

• Now click “New Character” to start adding characters.

There's a thread in the Community Business forum to discuss and give feedback on it

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Very awesome!
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
I have to admit, that is pretty darn cool.
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
nice!
Pretty good for PbP players. I approve.

A small request: Add in a place to put your theme.
Very nice, thank you!  I'll give it a try.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Sweet. I approve wholeheartedly. This is the kind of stuff I was hoping would come from the move to online tools.

Now if there was only a way for me to add a character from another person's profile into my builder it would be totally super sweet instead of just sweet. ;) 
Very cool !

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

my theme actually shows up with class features and the like? is that what you meant?
Nice
shame I dont have a PC I have played as yet.
Always the DM never the player.
I've noticed some wonky behavior with characters imported from the character builder.

The equipment section seems to inaccurately reflect the current gear of the character. I don't seem to see the names of magical weapons or armor. For example: My barbarian's 'Vanguard Execution Axe +1' only seems to appear as 'Execution Axe'. 

Also, it appears to still show old equipment that the characters are no longer in possession of. My barbarian shows that he has two Execution Axes but only really has the 'Vanguard Execution Axe +1' as mentioned above. He also shows that he owns a Greataxe, which I think was an accidental purchase in the builder which I immediately sold back quite some time ago. So apparently it is displaying historical data with regard to equipment.
-Sartredes

my theme actually shows up with class features and the like? is that what you meant?

Ok. I didn't export from CB (for obvious reasons) and just filled it out manually. I also forgot to fill in class features.
I don't see "My Characters" in the list of modules.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

If you're taking suggestions a way to embed 'view character' portion, or just the thumbnail, would be awesome as well  

I defiantely approve.
I don't see "My Characters" in the list of modules.

It is at the very bottom, below blogs posts and comments sections.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

I have the following modules available to me:
Calendar Events
My Favorites
My Friends
My Calendar
Recent Community Photos
Latest Videos
Friend Activity
Group Activity
RSS Feeds
Social Activity Feed
Forum Subscriptions

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Calendar Events
My Favorites
My Friends
My Calendar
Recent Community Photos
Latest Videos
Friend Activity
Group Activity
RSS Feeds
Social Activity Feed
Forum Subscriptions

You might need to clear your cache/cookies, possibly log out and back in if it is being really difficult. Let me know if that fixes it for you.
Calendar Events
My Favorites
My Friends
My Calendar
Recent Community Photos
Latest Videos
Friend Activity
Group Activity
RSS Feeds
Social Activity Feed
Forum Subscriptions

On the top menu bar, click "Profile".
Scroll down and on the left will be the "Drag and Drop" box.
Turn on "Drag and Drop".
Under "My Characters" select "Add".
Turn off "Drag and Drop"

The "My characters" module should now be added to your profile. Note that you can't see the My Characters module from the Home page.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Suggestions:

Make this module accessible from the Home page as well as the Profile page.

Add in functionality to "use" or "expend" certain powers, take damage/healing, etc. So that Play-by-Posters can easily keep track of their characters.

Also, being able to click on a character's power and see a representation of that power card would be nice. 

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Ah, sorry, I was under Home not Profile.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've directed the developers to this thread so they can determine whether any of these are unknown CB issues.

Steve

Awesome!  Now that I can show off my (low-level) characters, I have a reason to fit their backgrounds into the Character Builder fields...
-Alveric "And the sword that had visited Earth from so far away smote like the falling of thunderbolts; and green sparks rose from the armour, and crimson as sword met sword; and thick elvish blood moved slowly, from wide slits, down the cuirass; and Lirazel gazed in awe and wonder and love; and the combatants edged away fighting into the forest; and branches fell on them hacked off by their fight; and the runes in Alveric's far-travelled sword exulted, and roared at the elf-knight; until in the dark of the wood, amongst branches severed from disenchanted trees, with a blow like that of a thunderbolt riving an oak tree, Alveric slew him."
Thanks for all the feedback. I've directed the developers to this thread so they can determine whether any of these are unknown CB issues.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I have a question. How many characters can we have  loaded in our Profile at once ? 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Ooo, this is fancy. If only I could get something like this on a regular character sheet...
Not showing up for me.  I have tried the cookies/cache thing.  LOgged off, logged back on.  Turned my computer off/on.  CLicked my heels, spun around three times, etc.

Looks cool.  Wish I could get it to work. 
Not showing up for me.  I have tried the cookies/cache thing.  LOgged off, logged back on.  Turned my computer off/on.  CLicked my heels, spun around three times, etc.

Don't click on HOME at the top of the page, click on PROFILE.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere

Don't click on HOME at the top of the page, click on PROFILE.

Ah.  That was my problem.  Gracias.

Any word on the strange drop-off of equipment (off-hand weapons, armor)?  Other than that, this is a big bucket of awesome.  It ALMOST works (minus power stats, of course) as a compact character sheet!
-Alveric "And the sword that had visited Earth from so far away smote like the falling of thunderbolts; and green sparks rose from the armour, and crimson as sword met sword; and thick elvish blood moved slowly, from wide slits, down the cuirass; and Lirazel gazed in awe and wonder and love; and the combatants edged away fighting into the forest; and branches fell on them hacked off by their fight; and the runes in Alveric's far-travelled sword exulted, and roared at the elf-knight; until in the dark of the wood, amongst branches severed from disenchanted trees, with a blow like that of a thunderbolt riving an oak tree, Alveric slew him."
I will just point out, in case people have missed it, that this feature allows custom character portraits. A sign of things to come in the CB proper? Maybe? Soon?

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I have a question. How many characters can we have  loaded in our Profile at once ? 

There's no limit I'm aware of. You can pull only 20 from the CB, of course, but you should be able to manually enter as many as you want. If you hit a limit, let me know.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Now after looking at frothsof's Profile, i wanted like him to have my characters under the Badges section more higher up rather than completly at the bottom and after playing with the Drag & Drop feature, i completly screwed my Profile layout and can't seem to find a way to reset it to a Default setting.  

Anyone know how could help me ?

EDIT At work Google Chrome let me Drag windows in my profiles....but at home IE wasn't. now it's all good again ! 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I do not know the answer, but I would also like to know how to set profile pages back to their default setting (as well as group pages.)
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
FYI I've just made my account and couldn't get this feature to work.

Firstly, while signing up I had a lot of minutes and minutes-long loading when trying to upload my avatar and when trying to preview themes. Some themes were fast, others very slow or lagged out and had to be reloaded later. I took me over a half an hour to go through the setup wizard.

I'm using Firefox 5.0.

I was in the Wizards New Default theme, had no drag and drop button on my Profile page (yes Profile, not Home), and actually had My Characters at the bottom of my profile but no Add Character button on my profile or on the full charcters page when I clicked the More button.

I had to change themes from Wizards New Default to Dungeons and Dragons and then the Add Characters link was there, I could turn on Drag & Drop, and eveything worked fine.

I then switched back to Wizards New Default theme and everything seems to show up now.

i think the time spent programming this feature would have been better spent upgrading the CBuilder or the "look-at-me-i'm-ridicolous" monster builder.
======================================= I Apologize For My Bad English =======================================
All development on this social site--the forums, profiles, blogs, etc.--is done by Onesite, which is a completely separate, independent company. 

Steve

I'd love to display the resulting "character profile" on a different site.  Is there any way to link directly to that frame?
None that I know of. 

Steve

Its a shame my personal war with RPGA makes it to my disadvantage to post all my LFR characters.
...whatever
Its a shame my personal war with RPGA makes it to my disadvantage to post all my LFR characters.

Is there any reason you needed to post this? It should be pretty telling when you are just about the only person with a personal war against the RPGA.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Is there any reason you needed to post this? It should be pretty telling when you are just about the only person with a personal war against the RPGA.

Just posting that I like this new feature, yet I'm sad because my personal circumstances make it impossible for me to really use it. My beef with RPGA is more of a rebellion(and mostly a personal one) than a war, actually.
...whatever
Nifty new feature, it'll be interesting to see how this evolves.