Help me round out this 11th level Thri-kreen Monk|Warlord/Transcendant Perfection...

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Cha'ka, level 11
Thri-kreen, Monk|Warlord, Transcendent Perfection
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Stone Fist (Hybrid)
Warlord Leadership: Battlefront Leader (Hybrid)
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 14, Dex 22, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 13, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 26 Fort: 20 Reflex: 23 Will: 16
HP: 84 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +10, Acrobatics +14, Athletics +18, Stealth +17, Diplomacy +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +7, Intimidate +7, Nature +7, Perception +5, Religion +4, Streetwise +5, Thievery +9

FEATS
Level 1: Fluid Motion
Level 2: Shadow Initiate
Level 4: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 6: Skill Power
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Superior Implement Training (Accurate Ki Focus)
Level 11: Fight On

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Five Storms
Hybrid at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Skill Power: Mighty Sprint (retrained to Ghost of the Rooftops at Acolyte Power)
Hybrid daily 1: Stunning Palm
Hybrid utility 2: Spur to Action
Hybrid utility 6: Quicksilver Motion
Hybrid utility 10: Tactical Orders

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Boots of Striding (heroic tier), Magic Accurate Ki Focus +3, Sylvan Githweave Armor +3, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Alhulak, Shuriken, Adventurer's Kit
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

First of all, this character is being built for LFR, so party composition can never be counted on. Mostly I need some opinions on what remaining powers to take, as the ones already selected are pretty much set in stone. He is designed to be incredibly mobile while still possessing the minimum number of expected heals, and also aiding in party mobility letting an ally shift with flurry of blows, tactical orders, and battlefront shift (unless I would be the most beneficial target of that). Assassin MC is there just to pick up ghost of the rooftops. An at-will 10 square jump or climb is always handy to have. Direct the Strike is there for when there is a more competent single target striker around, or a better RBA than mine is needed.

Damage will be low initially until I can get the right mix of items and feats to properly boost it. Defenses are also a bit low unfortunately. I may eventually swap to a staff weapliment and staff expertise with hafted defense, staff of ruin, and dragonshard of the mage once feat and item slots become available. Unfortunately that puts AC and reflex down another point from the heavy shield, but I'm not sure how to properly remedy that. It could be made up for by trading unarmored agility for leather proficiency and another feat for hide, and then much later hide specialization, but that would have to be much later.

It looks like your weapon attack is sub-par (+13?).  So that tells me you want warlord powers that don't require you to attack.

Here's what I would do:

L1 Encounter - since your weapon attack is sub-par go Powerful Warning or Overwhelming Force Trap.  Either is an immeadiate action warlord power.  Win.
L3 Eternal Mountain - as much for the movement technique as the close burst/knock prone
L5 Daily - In my experience Staggering Spin generates the highest nova damage in heroic.   Does need a melee heavy party though.  And your weapon attack isn't great.  So Scent of Victory?  Your party will thank you for shortening mop-up duty.
L7 Encounter - Any monk power is a good choice.  But continuing the trend of take it if it's a warlord immeadiate power, you've three options but Friendly Fire is the only one that doesn't require a weapon attack.  Take a monk power.  I like Fist of One Hundred Strikes.  Effectively a shift 3 that will let you get past the front line.
L9 Daily - Crane Dance is just too much fun.

An at-will 10 square jump or climb is always handy to have.

I can only see a speed of 9. 7 (Thri-keen) + 1 Fluid motion + 1 (Boots of striding). Am I missing something?
I can only see a speed of 9. 7 (Thri-keen) + 1 Fluid motion + 1 (Boots of striding). Am I missing something?

You're missing that Fluid Motion's bonus increases to +2 at level 11.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

It looks like your weapon attack is sub-par (+13?).  So that tells me you want warlord powers that don't require you to attack.

Here's what I would do:

L1 Encounter - since your weapon attack is sub-par go Powerful Warning or Overwhelming Force Trap.  Either is an immeadiate action warlord power.  Win.
L3 Eternal Mountain - as much for the movement technique as the close burst/knock prone
L5 Daily - In my experience Staggering Spin generates the highest nova damage in heroic.   Does need a melee heavy party though.  And your weapon attack isn't great.  So Scent of Victory?  Your party will thank you for shortening mop-up duty.
L7 Encounter - Any monk power is a good choice.  But continuing the trend of take it if it's a warlord immeadiate power, you've three options but Friendly Fire is the only one that doesn't require a weapon attack.  Take a monk power.  I like Fist of One Hundred Strikes.  Effectively a shift 3 that will let you get past the front line.
L9 Daily - Crane Dance is just too much fun.

How are you only getting +13? 5 STR +5 half level +3 enhancement +2 expertise +3 proficiency is +18. So the warlord powers hit just fine. At 7th level I'm tempted by Arc of the Flashing storm for an encounter 10 square teleport too, even if the attack portion is meh.
Can you use warlord powers through your ki focus?
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Damage will be low initially until I can get the right mix of items and feats to properly boost it. Defenses are also a bit low unfortunately. I may eventually swap to a staff weapliment and staff expertise with hafted defense, staff of ruin, and dragonshard of the mage once feat and item slots become available. Unfortunately that puts AC and reflex down another point from the heavy shield, but I'm not sure how to properly remedy that. It could be made up for by trading unarmored agility for leather proficiency and another feat for hide, and then much later hide specialization, but that would have to be much later.

If you aren't planning to do anything else with it, Hybrid Talent for Warlord Armor Proficiency gets you +1 AC over Unarmored Agility since it gives you Hide.

t~
Can you use warlord powers through your ki focus?

Of course. Why couldn't you? Ki focuses work for any weapon or implement attack as long as you are proficient with them.

If you aren't planning to do anything else with it, Hybrid Talent for Warlord Armor Proficiency gets you +1 AC over Unarmored Agility since it gives you Hide.

t~

Great catch there thanks. Nothing that useful from the monk hybrid talents, and for warlord the presence 1/encounter isn't so great and don't need much in the way of special riders either.

How are you only getting +13? 5 STR +5 half level +3 enhancement +2 expertise +3 proficiency is +18. So the warlord powers hit just fine. At 7th level I'm tempted by Arc of the Flashing storm for an encounter 10 square teleport too, even if the attack portion is meh.

my bad you have it right.   I still like Powerful warning at Level 1.  Surely there will be at least one other melee character.  The Level 5 Warlord Dailies have a lot of great choices but I find party make-up is important in the decision.   So I'm not sure what to say!

Nice job on what looks like a fun character to play.

my bad you have it right.   I still like Powerful warning at Level 1.  Surely there will be at least one other melee character.  The Level 5 Warlord Dailies have a lot of great choices but I find party make-up is important in the decision.   So I'm not sure what to say!

Nice job on what looks like a fun character to play.

I think at least for starting out I can't justify the 3 feats needed to get ghost of the rooftops. Instead I'm leaning towards unarmored agility, shield finesse, and then some damage feat but I'm not sure what. That puts athletics up to 20 which makes for a minimum standing long jump of 4 squares, maximum of 8 (on a 20). Plus a teleport 10 encounter power in Arc of the Flashing Storm. Here's where I'm at now:

Show
Cha'ka, level 11

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 28 Fort: 20 Reflex: 23 Will: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +12, Acrobatics +16, Athletics +20, Diplomacy +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +7, Intimidate +7, Nature +7, Perception +5, Religion +4, Stealth +14, Streetwise +5, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 6: Shield Finesse

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 7: Arc of the Flashing Storm

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Boots of Striding (heroic tier), Magic Accurate Ki Focus +3, Sylvan Githweave Armor +3, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Alhulak, Shuriken, Adventurer's Kit

It is pretty much between Vengeance is Mine and Powerful Warning for 1st level Warlord encounters. Leaning towards Martial Doom at 3rd level to have some ability to set up a party nova, but I also like Eternal Mountain for self defense. Warlord's Recovery I like for the daily 9, but teachable moment lets me provide leader bonuses while still striking with monk powers. There aren't any monk dailies I'm really in love with.

I'm building under the assumption that I'll be lucky to have ONE party member with a decent basic attack.

[Edit] I think I'm settling on some decisions now. Eagle Claw Strike has a nice leadery AC debuff on the target, AND a fly your speed movement technique. That sets up excellently to follow up with Martial Doom on an AP (or the next turn if a party nova can wait the round). Going with Teachable Moment because I feel the flavor and function mesh nicely with the rest of the character, and then Resonating Fist for 5th level daily, the damage vulnerability is also nice and leadery. Just can't decide on last feat....

Show
Cha'ka, level 11
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Reflex
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 28 Fort: 24 Reflex: 28 Will: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +12, Acrobatics +16, Athletics +20, Diplomacy +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +7, Intimidate +7, Nature +7, Perception +5, Religion +4, Stealth +14, Streetwise +5, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Leather
Level 6: Shield Finesse

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 1: Eagle Claw Strike
Hybrid encounter 3: Martial Doom
Hybrid daily 5: A Rock and a Hard Place (retrained to Resonating Fist at Level 9)
Hybrid encounter 7: Arc of the Flashing Storm
Hybrid daily 9: Teachable Moment

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Boots of Striding (heroic tier), Magic Accurate Ki Focus +3, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Alhulak, Shuriken, Adventurer's Kit, Elven Cloak +3, Sylvan Drowmesh +3

Traded unarmored agility for leather proficiency since drowmesh boosts reflex instead of the already awful will. This gives me respectable AC and Reflex and decent Fortitude too.

Perhaps use Hybrid Talent (Warlord Armor Proficiency) instead of Armor Proficiency: Leather, and use hide instead of leather. You trade 1 ref for 1 AC and 1 fort. Use Earthhide instead of Drowmesh.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Perhaps use Hybrid Talent (Warlord Armor Proficiency) instead of Armor Proficiency: Leather, and use hide instead of leather. You trade 1 ref for 1 AC and 1 fort. Use Earthhide instead of Drowmesh.

I prefer the 1 point of reflex and no check penalty to the extra point of AC and fort.
Sign In to post comments