WOTC Fraud team: Disturbing data from google trends

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Attention wotc fraud team:
1) If you don't know how to use google trends, learn.
2) obtain data on the search phrase 'magic online'.
3) In recent months look at the relatively small country for which relative volume of searches for magic onine has dwarfed those of all others including approximately 6 times that of of the US.
4) Search news threads for recent news from this country and notice that large ebay/paypal scamming rings from this country were brought down in recent months by the US department of Justice for scams involving physical products(ie not magic online).
5) Ponder the question:  Is it a coincidence that as the traditional revenue stream for these scam rings has come under attack, interest in your product in that country has exploded?
Well hey, that's pretty interesting..
Captain of the Lotus Farmers - Yes you have my glove in your face! 420 Posts: 6/11/2010
Are you sure this is unrelated to the surge in populatiry of Romanian Online Radio Station "Magic FM"?
Looking forward to Hex TCG MMO
Are you sure this is unrelated to the surge in populatiry of Romanian Online Radio Station "Magic FM"?

Could be, but that radio station has been trending a lot loner than just the phrase 'magic online'...but isn't that the job of the fraud team, to assess the risks they face and filter it out from the legitimate...maybe they'd rather focus preventative measureson telling us that online security 'begins with us' and being reactive? 

Thanks for the information, bactgudz. We do quite a bit of risk assessment and have several different tools in our arsenal, none of which I can discuss. Nevertheless, we do believe that security starts with the user-- like with most companies, we can stop and mitigate many types of fraud without user involvement, but a shared password can cause a larger impact on an individual user than many individual scammers could.

A shared password?  Funny.  And I thought we were talking about real fraud here rather than stupid users who give their passwords to the wrong people.  Having been personally affected by fraud on MTGO, I still worry about MTGO's security measures.  There is a lot of room for a Romanian (or other) crime ring to make money on MTGO, due to the way it is set up.  I'm quoting myself from a few months ago here:

"I have seen an unbelievable amount of fraud take place on MTGO recently.  It has become a hotbed for criminals to cash in their stolen credit cards.  They buy tix or product with a stolen credit card, they find somebody on MTGO that will give them PayPal money in exchange for the tix/product, and they cash out the PayPal money before anybody catches on.  I know for a fact that certain people are doing this over & over & over with new accounts and new stolen credit cards.  And Wizards continuse to let it happen with the way their security is set up.

"Let's hope someday Wizards fixes their software and/or security measures to prevent the rampant fraud that happens in MTGO.  Until then, be careful who you buy tix or cards from if you are paying with PayPal or other outside currency.  You could unknowingly become involved with a criminal and at the least Wizards will require you to prove that you didn't know you were dealing with a criminal.

"I had a case where an user sold tix & packs to me at a fair price regularily over the course of a few weeks.  He had responded to an ad I had posted on the classifieds.  It turned out that user was using a stolen credit card and I had to prove that I was not directly involved.  My account was suspended without warning when Wizards found out the seller was using a stolen credit card.  This user's sales represented a small part of the purchases, sales, and trades I was making during those weeks.  I understand why they suspended my account, but it doesn't make me happy that they did it.  They didn't have any proof that I had done anything wrong and the fact that they can suspend my account without warning makes me want to spend less money on their game and use their game less.

"I was able to get my account access restored the same day that thanks to Wizards' customer service.  Doing so cost me a lot of time.  How could this all have been prevented?  Wizards could implement some checks to prevent people from buying tix using stolen credit cards.  I don't think I need to list all the ways to prevent this from happening, but until they start doing this correctly there will be honest people who are forced to waste time helping Wizards sort out their problems with fraud.
You make it sound very simplistic.
The truth is that the fraud which occurs is extremely sophisticated.

Do you think that there aren't any 'checks'? Of course there are. But the use of more onerous measures has to be weighed against the necessity of making transactions quick and easy for the majority of customers.

Let me ask you this:
Do you think that it's more impactful to suspend one account out of a thousand, or to make every person who wants to purchase tickets wait an extra 20 minutes? How many players would be upset if they missed an event because their purchase didn't arrive right away?

Security is never cut and dried; every additional measure almost guarantees that there will be some segment of the playerbase who find it to be too much.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

No, it's not cut & dry and simple.  You're right.  I'm just saying there are better ways to go about it, and there is NOT ENOUGH security in general.  I would take the racist approach and use increased levels of security for users from countries that show trends of fraud.  I won't go in depth as to all the problems & loopholes in the MTGO system because I don't want to see any more fraud than I already see, but leave it to say there are people getting away with murder on MTGO, making a lot of money based on their local economy by doing things considered illegal in the US.  Unfortunately there is no foolproof system and let's hope the new client allows for many more "hidden" security measures to prevent a majority of the fraud that goes on.  That will help the MTGO economy as a whole.
It's absolutely absurd that your Magic Online login name is your screen name visible to others.
It's absolutely absurd that your Magic Online login name is your screen name visible to others.

Which is why I advocte for all players to use the strongest password possible.

Why has this not been changed yet?   Is this a hard thing to do?

You're joking, right?

You're joking, right?

With WotC things are carved in stone, so yes it is hard.

This is from the paper side: Ever wondered about those print-runs making it possible to memorize rows of commons in boosters ? Making it possible for ppl to map boxes and scim them for individual Mythics ? Making it possible for ppl to write books about the mapping boxes patterns ? Making so that drafts arent always random as in several ppl open Sunblast Angel (or whatever same rare), thing that have made some ppl write recommending LocalGameStores to blend their boosters (several boxes) before using them for drafts ?

Print run me here and print run me there, were living in 2011 now.

- a redemption print order is different from a regular one.
Well that just says that those frickin print-runs arent so set in stone as ppl wanna make it sound, they made one more for MtgO.

- but but we can...
- nah, the math and number of this and that rarity doesnt allow...
- ahh, doh
Year 2050:
- but but, if they just...
- nah, the whole brew-factory was set in stone in 1993 so thats how MtG will be printed for eternity.

I just dont buy this...

As long as you're going to ignore the realities of manufacturing processes, I'm not going to argue with you anymore.

(From thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
)
Returning to the OP, and the original premise here of usage from certain countries, you should notice that this reasoning is flawed, and that teh search term "magic online" finds all manner of matches to products unrelated to the WotC product.