A Detektor Blip: Rishadan Navigator

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rishadan Navigator 
Creature - Human Pirate
 [MRC-R]
Whenever you search your library, you may exile a basic land card from it.
Exploring the world, discovering exotic new lands, and blasting them to rubble.
3/4

Because nobody wants to hire a boatload of thugs and be left with a deck full of fluff.
Why only basic lands?
Also, it should probably be worded like Panglacial Wurm "While you're searching your library you may exile a basic land card from it."
I do like this card.
Love the mechanic.  Make it 4/3 and we'll talk.  (I know power efficiency is not typically blue, but these are pirates we're talking about so I think it's ok)
I'm guessing from the card code that it's a Rare?  I don't think it really fits as one.  It's a weird ability, but it's also very subtle and not very splashy.  It feels right as an Uncommon (although I don't think you could get away with that P/T at that cost when it's not Rare.)
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I'm guessing from the card code that it's a Rare?  I don't think it really fits as one.  It's a weird ability, but it's also very subtle and not very splashy.  It feels right as an Uncommon (although I don't think you could get away with that P/T at that cost when it's not Rare.)

What if I change it to 4/3 and let you exile three cards a pop?
I don't understand this card. In Limited I'm running this because it's a 4/3 and I ignore the ability. In Constructed, I want to play this card because of the ability? Why would I want to exile lands whenever I shuffle? To thin my deck out? If I wanted to do that, wouldn't I just use a different card that does it more effectively?
If I wanted to do that, wouldn't I just use a different card that does it more effectively?

Play this in a Mercenary deck and you can double the number of useful spells you draw. What are you suggesting would do the same more effectively?

What if I change it to 4/3 and let you exile three cards a pop?

The power level wasn't really concerning, it's the lack of game impact.  I think it's just too subtle to make a good Rare.  Making it a 4/3 doesn't make it feel any more special or splashy.  It feels more like Rage Extractor in terms of build-around potential.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
The power level wasn't really concerning, it's the lack of game impact.  I think it's just too subtle to make a good Rare.  Making it a 4/3 doesn't make it feel any more special or splashy.  It feels more like Rage Extractor in terms of build-around potential.

My instinct is to put build-around-me cards at rare, not uncommon.

Play this in a Mercenary deck and you can double the number of useful spells you draw. What are you suggesting would do the same more effectively?

Endless Horizons if you feel it's an adaquet comparison. Alternatively, Conundrum Sphinx.

My feelings towards this design is that it's almost always a 3/4 vanilla for . It has no way to trigger its own ability. Even when its ability does trigger, it feels incredibly insignificant. Just one land? The hoop to cookie ratio is just way off.

This design lacks a focal point. It isn't the body, the cost, or the ability... so what is it?

My instinct is to put build-around-me cards at rare, not uncommon.

it's not so much build-around-me as it is a synergistic enabler to an already-existing strategy, and one you presumably want to encourage in limited.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I like the card but I do have to say it feels more like an uncommon than a rare.  Both mechanically and flavorfully it feels like an uncommon.  But a nice uncommon with an interesting mechanic.  I think letting you exile 3 lands would still keep it at uncommon (maybe).

Personally I like it the way it is and would rather see a drop in rarity than giving it a big power boost.
Eh, I concede the point. I need to keep it splashable into Rebels or Mercenaries, though, so mayble I'll just make it a 3/3 for symmetry.
I think this wants to be a two- or three-drop.

Would it break anything to let it exile any card?

Also, I think it fits fine at rare, though it wouldn't be out of place at uncommon either.
blah blah metal lyrics
/love.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]