Path of Love and Peace (Pacifist Cleric of Sune)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
On a whim I decided to make a character who was a functional pacifist and so the concept of Adran was born. I took power of love in order to gain a second at-will that does no damage to mix with Astral Seal. I decided to use Half-Elf in order to pick up Virtuous Strike so I could have a melee basic attack that again does no damage for opportunity attacks and charges. I also took Keeper of Divine Secrets so that I could use a staff as an implement so that I could use staff expertise to cast in melee and use reach on Adran's melee strikes (Recovery Strike/Virtuous Strike). and between the Multiclassing and Religious Dabbler I picked up Sun Strike and Radiant Vengeance as encounters Versatile Master lets me make Virtuous Strike a more reliable resource. The other feats allow me to more effectively buff, heal, and adds alternative critical incentives. As for Messenger of Peace and Saint it seemed to be the obvious fit for a pacifist.

Adran, level 30
Half-Elf, Cleric, Messenger of Peace, Saint
Build: Shielding Cleric
Cleric: Healing Word
Half elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 14, Wis 24, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 8, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 14.

AC: 42 Fort: 40 Reflex: 38 Will: 46
HP: 181 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 45

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +22, Heal +27, Insight +29, Diplomacy +31

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +17, Bluff +20, Dungeoneering +22, Endurance +15, History +17, Intimidate +22, Nature +22, Perception +22, Stealth +15, Streetwise +20, Thievery +15, Athletics +19

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Power of Love
Level 2: Acolyte of Divine Secrets
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 8: Healer's Implement
Level 10: Religious Dabbler
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Invigorating Critical
Level 14: Gambler's Word
Level 16: Pacifist Healer
Level 18: Defensive Healing Word
Level 20: Defensive Grace
Level 21: Supreme Healer
Level 22: Invoker Implement Expertise
Level 24: Reactive Healing
Level 26: Shared Healing
Level 28: Beatific Healer
Level 30: Shared Perseverance

POWERS
Acolyte of Divine Secrets: Sun Strike
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Channel Divinity: Negate Healing
Cleric at-will 1: Recovery Strike
Cleric at-will 1: Astral Seal
Dilettante: Virtuous Strike
Religious Dabbler: Radiant Vengeance
Cleric encounter 1: Exacting Utterance
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope
Cleric utility 2: Hospitaler's Prayer
Cleric encounter 3: Hymn of Resurgence
Cleric daily 5: Iron to Glass
Cleric utility 6: Radiant Stride
Cleric encounter 7: Price of Violence
Cleric daily 9: Rebuke Violence
Cleric utility 10: Fight on, Friend
Cleric encounter 13: Remorse (replaces Exacting Utterance)
Cleric daily 15: Sacred Armistice (replaces Beacon of Hope)
Cleric utility 16: Cure Critical Wounds
Cleric encounter 17: Sever the Source (replaces Hymn of Resurgence)
Cleric daily 19: Moment of Peace (replaces Iron to Glass)
Cleric utility 22: Mass Cure Serious Wounds
Cleric encounter 23: Rebuke the Wrathful (replaces Price of Violence)
Cleric daily 25: Life Lanterns (replaces Rebuke Violence)
Cleric encounter 27: Healer's Reproof (replaces Remorse)
Cleric daily 29: Chains of the Peacemaker (replaces Sacred Armistice)

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Feyswarm Accurate staff +6, Healer's Kingmail Armor +6, Healer's Brooch +6, Gloves of the Healer (epic tier), Boots of Quickness (epic tier), Belt of Vim (paragon tier), Circlet of Indomitability (paragon tier)
RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Raise Dead, Remove Affliction, Cure Disease, Hallowed Temple, Speak with Dead, Consult Mystic Sages, Comrades' Succor, Hand of Fate, Create Holy Water, Iron Vigil
I understand why you do this for roleplaying reasons, but from a charop perspecitve I am confused by some of your choices.  Specifically recovery strike/virtuous strike and power of love.  You are much better off dumping strength and boosting con in its place for surges and possible power riders.  If you really want a melee power pick one like sonnlinor's hammer or brand of the sun since at least you will consistently hit with those.

I have over 2 dozen powers listed in my handbook that can be good choices for clerics to take with dilletante.  Virtuous strike isn't one of them.  If you want to stay pacifist go with direct the strike since you won't have that many opportunities to make MBAs to start with.

I don't think pacifists should avoid doing damage all the time, they just need to make sure they don't trigger the stun.

Also roleplaying or otherwise you don't need cure critical wounds.  You have more than enough healing and are better off with a power like cloak of courage, divine armor, or hallowed ground.
Posting the same thing on 2 seperate forums is considered spamming, as well.  There's no need to post your character in both the leader forums and the CO forums simultaneously.
Well actually while it will effect how I play the character I just wanted to see if I could build a character with the handicap of being restricted to zero damage abilities and still make it work. I've tried to make as optimal a character I can with that meta restriction in place. I acknowledge that virtuous and recovery strike are both sub-optimal choices in normal circumstances and it does strain my build to have to focus my efforts on three hit stats, however without virtuous strike I would be unable to take MBAs granted from opportunity actions or granted attacks and recovery strike (to my knowledge) is the only other cleric power aside from astral seal that can have the zero damage option. As for the importance of Con I took Auspicious Birth to try and curb some of the issues of having a low Con score. I will look for an alternative to cure critical though so thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: I'm thinking Cloak of Courage it fits the healer theme while doing somthing a bit different nothing wrong with a mass temp hp buff every encounter.
Posting the same thing on 2 seperate forums is considered spamming, as well.  There's no need to post your character in both the leader forums and the CO forums simultaneously.

Sorry about that meant to move it and forgot to delete the old thread.
Well actually while it will effect how I play the character I just wanted to see if I could build a character with the handicap of being restricted to zero damage abilities and still make it work. I've tried to make as optimal a character I can with that meta restriction in place. I acknowledge that virtuous and recovery strike are both sub-optimal choices in normal circumstances and it does strain my build to have to focus my efforts on three hit stats, however without virtuous strike I would be unable to take MBAs granted from opportunity actions or granted attacks and recovery strike (to my knowledge) is the only other cleric power aside from astral seal that can have the zero damage option. As for the importance of Con I took Auspicious Birth to try and curb some of the issues of having a low Con score. I will look for an alternative to cure critical though so thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: I'm thinking Cloak of Courage it fits the healer theme while doing somthing a bit different nothing wrong with a mass temp hp buff every encounter.

I have a Changeling Shaman|Warlord/Catalyst in LFR.  All of her attacks (except for one, now that she's Paragon) are attacks which grant allies an attack.  Mindlink Strike is her one attack that she makes an attack roll with and that's only because the Catalyst's action point ability requires her to make an attack with a power and hit with it.  Kind of sucks, but there you go.  She can use it once per encounter, so it works out alright. 

But her main tactics include hanging back a little bit and telling allies to make mince-meat of their enemies.  Also, she can use Direct the Strike in place of an MBA for OAs, so if someone moves up to her and decides to provoke (thinking that she won't) she can tell someone to hit them hard. 

Also, how can Virtuous Strike and Recovery Strike have zero damage? 
Power of love grants the option to negate damage in exchange for granting two allies in five squares 5/10/15 temp hp works for virtuous strike, recovery strike, radiant vengence, and sun strike.

How do you get Direct the Strike as MBA?

Edit: I'm guessing Heavy blade now that I think about it not my thing but well played.
Power of love grants the option to negate damage in exchange for granting two allies in five squares 5/10/15 temp hp works for virtuous strike, recovery strike, radiant vengence, and sun strike.

How do you get Direct the Strike as MBA?

Edit: I'm guessing Heavy blade now that I think about it not my thing but well played.

Nope.  It requires being a Warlord, having a shield and a pick (and being proficient with the pick.)

Show

Ninth Legion Student [Lesser Style]

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Fighter or warlord; proficiency with any one-handed pick or one-handed spear
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Insight checks.

When you are attacking with a one-handed pick or a one-handed spear and you have proficiency with that weapon, you also gain the following benefit.

If you are using a shield, you can use a power associated with this feat in place of a melee basic attack when making an opportunity attack.

Associated Powers: Crushing Surge, Direct the Strike

Published in Martial Power 2, page(s) 124.

It's kind of amusing to watch the DM try to figure out how to get past me without taking an attack from *someone* and he doesn't get to smack me since it's his turn (so no OA on my ranged attack... his buddies though....)    

EDIT: Incidentally, the level 7 Dragontooth shield enhancement counts as a melee weapon (a +2 pick) and a shield.  I have one equipped as along with some kind of totem (not that I need a totem since I don't make any attacks with Shaman powers but I have a totem.  It might come in handy one day to wield one of those....)