D&D over the internet?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
For a long while I have known about Play-by-post / play-by-mail D&D for gaming over the internet. What I am wondering, is first: Are there games going on over the internet played real-time? And if so, where would be a good place to start looking to get into one of these games?

The DDI game table I thought was going to allow this type of play style, but even yrs after 4E was released and it was previewed, I have yet had a chance to game on it.  I know about Neverwinter nights and DDO, but they don't satisfy my D&D itch.  Hopefully someone is kind enough to point me in the right direction.

i use Teamspeak and Maptool.
"Nobody expects imperial Inquisition" "What doesn't destroys me, makes me stranger"
I've see web sites that offer games in real time but their not much fun. You can also get some software to play with your friends that offers a chat room type screen with virtual dice to roll, allowing no cheating of dice. If you're going to play online D&D use Skype and/or Teamspeak. You also need to fork out a lot of money for a good clear webcam, a high quality microphone and you need fast internet to stream all the video.

My advice is play at the table. I never liked DDO and the new D&D Daggerdale game isn't fun at all (with pre made characters and hack and slash game play it's not D&D).

The best experience I've had with D&D online was playing Neverwinter Nights. With all the expansion packs and the community expansion pack you get tons of gaming. Also using Teamspeak helps keep the group together. But best of all you can get fan made modules of real D&D adventures. I played the Forge of Fury as my first ever D&D game and the Neverwinter Nights fan module holds every part of the adventure up to the highest level, matching the experience.

Final thought, don't play D&D online. Foot in mouth

Just in case I failed to mention; I am playing D&D 3.5e.
For a long while I have known about Play-by-post / play-by-mail D&D for gaming over the internet. What I am wondering, is first: Are there games going on over the internet played real-time?

Hey there!    What you are probably looking for is play-by-chat or play-virtual-tabletop.  A common way to play-by-chat is to use some kind of instant messenger service.  Other ways include using an IRC channel.  For Virtual Tabletop games, a few programs exist (maptool for example as mentioned above) where the DM updates a battlemap in real time and players can too. 

You could also play-by-skype or play-by-teamspeak as well, although I've never done that myself.

As for where to find groups, a place to advertise is right here on these boards.  I think the Community  Business subforum is a good place to start

Good luck! 
i play several real-time online dnd games with maptool and skype/ventrillo.

we use a framework with maptools that automatically keeps track of almost any in game mechanic such as ongoing damage, saving throws, hitpoints and surges.
I'm wondering if Google+ and the Hangout video chat might be an ideal set-up for something like this.

Add in an app for dice rolling, set up circles specifically for your gaming group... Might be a cool setup. 
One of the biggest challenges to running an online game is finding players.

Hint hint...pick me!
Google+ Hangouts will beat the crap out of skype videoconferencing - there's no "call" to drop, just having people moving in and out of the 'room'.  I've been doing the Skype thing for over a year, and sometimes it can be a pain in the ass.

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?
I'm wondering if Google+ and the Hangout video chat might be an ideal set-up for something like this.

Add in an app for dice rolling, set up circles specifically for your gaming group... Might be a cool setup. 

It does sound pretty good.

In the past I played in one of the chat rooms that Wizards used to run, they had a dice rolling bot and we played theatre of the mind style. I think it worked pretty well, although it was 3.5 where the grid was less important.
For a long while I have known about Play-by-post / play-by-mail D&D for gaming over the internet. What I am wondering, is first: Are there games going on over the internet played real-time? And if so, where would be a good place to start looking to get into one of these games?

The DDI game table I thought was going to allow this type of play style, but even yrs after 4E was released and it was previewed, I have yet had a chance to game on it.  I know about Neverwinter nights and DDO, but they don't satisfy my D&D itch.  Hopefully someone is kind enough to point me in the right direction.

Maptools and Ventrilo here. You don't need web cam. Here's a sample of one of our sessions to see how the Maptool interface is. Time to time I host a server and allow anyone to pop in. Even though lots of folks ask about online tools I havent seen strangers take advantage of the offer.
I only play online and I use Fantasy Grounds, it's quite amazing. It has chat options for speaking, emoting, ooc and whispering to others, a battle tracker which tracks who's turn it is/status impairments, virtual dice, etc...

I don't really understand what someone is saying about a webcam and video here, you can just share maps, images and notes with the players in fantasy Grounds, what's the webcam for?
Thanks for the responses.  Have taken a look into em all and there are some very neat finds.  Any sites you can suggest that help finding others looking to game via virtual table?
I only play online and I use Fantasy Grounds, it's quite amazing. It has chat options for speaking, emoting, ooc and whispering to others, a battle tracker which tracks who's turn it is/status impairments, virtual dice, etc...

I don't really understand what someone is saying about a webcam and video here, you can just share maps, images and notes with the players in fantasy Grounds, what's the webcam for?

Some people use the webcame on a battlemat or to view players so you can see their faces + emotitions etc.
i have a gaming group of 5,  4 of which are at the actual table using miniatures and a map grid.  the other is playing in oregon, over skype, and what i do is i set up two webcams.  both are HD, one is over looking the whole group so he can see the players.
the other is on a make-shift stand over looking the map-grid with the miniatures, he has his own mini as well too.  
what i use is Skype, and Xsplit.   xsplit lets u do multiple cameras at the same time.
it also lets u switch to various "scenes" so u can set up the cams, that'll be zoomed into the map-grid close up for fighting and the group vid will be small, then when we're roleplaying i can switch the scenes so its visa-versa.  its really quite handy! and he's more than comfy to play at home with our group.  i'm even considering adding in a second person from another state/province on skype and do a vid conference call and let him play with us. 
those who use maptools, what other thingss do you need. I mean is there just a 4th ed dnd pack to download for maptools?
Technically you don't need anything but Maptools itself to run 4e.  Although truth be told there are a couple of frameworks that make playing much easier and fun.  One if I recall right is Rumble?  I've not used it in a very long time however because my solid preference is for DeviantNull's framework.  Looks, feels and acts like a true 4e D&D framework for your games.

You certainly want to read the forum thread where you find the framework itself (over on the RPTools.net forums) to make sure you learn it.  But it's easy to learn and once you have it down it's amazing what you can do.  Including automatically having your wild magic sorcerer roll their random resistance each time they take an Extended Rest!
To err is human. To fail a Fear save is unforgivable! IMAGE(http://statcdn.worldoftanks.com/comcom_v2/uploads/signatures/wotuserbar04.jpg)

Some people use the webcame on a battlemat or to view players so you can see their faces + emotitions etc.

Well, the battlemat is usually build in, and I find not being able to see the other players and only being able to see their character's actions actually helps the RP along magnificently ^^
My group of RL friends can't keep a straight face during roleplay around a table, but online it all works fine.

To each their own, though
As for where to find groups, a place to advertise is right here on these boards.  I think the Community  Business subforum is a good place to start

Actually, the Community Business isn't the appropriate place; but the appropriate place on these forums are... well... hidden. I would advise trying TheTangledWeb instead. You're going to be more likely to be able to find live games there.
If you wanted to try PlayByPost, then there are plenty of places on the Wizards forums to try.

We have a small group of about 4 ppl.
We play mostly 3.5 stuff, and we do it via one real time session a week on IRC. Then we post it on this site to continue creating the story:

The Ark: RPG

Please, feel free to join in, just shoot either me or Fengathor a message, we usually have 1 or 2 stories going at the time and we always look for new players or people who would dare to DM.

EDIT: Oh, we DO use all 3.5 d20/ D&D/ d20 modern rulesets, depending on the story.