LDB's Ranger vs Mello's Revenant

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
LordDuskBlade you have been challenged.

*Lvl 30, no restrictions.
*Standard starting wealth (lvl +1, lvl +0, lvl -1, lvl -1 gold) or straight gold?
*A flat, featureless, 20x20 box, starting at the corners.
*Any idea on a public dice roller?  If not, we can use the offical one.  I assume we can both trust eachother not to cheat.
*No building specificly anti-revenant (turn undead) or anti-ranger (cloak of distortion).  Though it might be fun for a re-match.
I* figure we'll do this play by post style.  Though interups might be tricky, so possibly let a 3rd party run it?

Any thoughts? objections?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

...I have to say, not what I was expecting when I logged into the forum today. *shrugs* I don't really see what this is going to prove, though - 4e was not meant for PvP, and we figured that out pretty much in the first week of this forum's existence.
It's just for fun. Shouldn't be a long, match. You either nova me on turn 1 or so, or I survive indefinatly,

If you don't want to run just point me toward you're best build.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

It's just for fun. Shouldn't be a long, match. You either nova me on turn 1 or so, or I survive indefinatly, If you don't want to run just point me toward you're best build.

Translated: "I understand if you are scared of me, LDB.  Just let me run the numbers and you can go cower in your basement."

...Actually, the build I'd make to fight this PvP match would be a kiter. He'd have a nova, for sure, but that wouldn't be the point - the point is that unless you're also a Ranged Ranger or you can (somehow) trump his formidable initiative, you're going to be stuck in a corner doing nothing, and even then beating him on init is unlikely to completely save you.

Not interested, personally. It's too bad I don't have the full write-up, though, otherwise I'd just give you a link.
Kite away. It won't be an issue. I'm only worried about the nova.

guides
Power
my builds

Translated: Stormhawk's Vengeance, naturally, has no range limit.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Well, since LDB doesn't want to go with it, someone else want to run Shoot to Thrill?

If i can beat that, i'll go against time bomb next.

guides
Power
my builds

Well, since LDB doesn't want to go with it, someone else want to run Shoot to Thrill?

If i can beat that, i'll go against time bomb next.

I don't think its right to go against someone's general build (that wasn't even meant for PvP) when they don't want to run it.  Especially if this is just for fun.

I believe someone in the commentary thread said they would take up your challenge, but with something other than a ranger.  Better to take them up on their offer then to try and get someone else run one of LDB's builds.

Daren

It doesn't seem like LDB minds (mostly from his "i would send you a link" comment).  He's just not interested in running it.

Anyways...  Here's my build.

[sblock Indestuctable]

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Indestuctable, level 30
Revenant, Battlemind, Horizon Walker, Raven Consort
Psionic Study Option: Battle Resilience
Choose your Race in Life: Shadar-kai

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 15, CON 28, DEX 15, INT 10, WIS 24, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 10

AC: 48 Fort: 43 Ref: 38 Will: 44
HP: 241 Surges: 18 Surge Value: 67

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +18, Endurance +27, Heal +27, Insight +27

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Arcana +15, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +22, History +15, Intimidate +18, Nature +22, Perception +22, Religion +15, Stealth +13, Streetwise +16, Thievery +13

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Blurred Step
Battlemind Feature: Mind Spike
Battlemind Feature: Battle Resilience
Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry
Shadar-kai Racial Power: Shadow Jaunt
Battlemind Attack 1: Living Fortress
Endurance Utility 2: Endure Pain
Battlemind Attack 3: Lodestone Lure
Battlemind Attack 5: Inconstant Location
Battlemind Utility 6: Energy Transformation
Battlemind Attack 7: Forceful Reversal
Battlemind Utility 10: Iron Warding
Horizon Walker Attack 11: Worldly Strike
Horizon Walker Utility 12: Fey Strider
Battlemind Attack 13: Intellect Snap
Battlemind Utility 16: Shield of the Iron Mind
Horizon Walker Attack 20: Elemental Chaos Smite
Battlemind Utility 22: Deaden Blow
Raven Consort Utility 26: Vitality Eternal
Battlemind Attack 29: Focused Rampage

FEATS
Level 1: Disciple of Death
Level 2: Warrior of the Wild
Level 4: Unfailing Vigor
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 10: Restless Dead
Level 11: Death Scorned
Level 12: Stormhawk's Vengeance
Level 14: Death's Quickening
Level 16: Superior Will
Level 18: Focused Mind
Level 20: Toughness
Level 21: Ghostly Vitality
Level 22: Deathless Warrior
Level 24: Armor Proficiency: Plate
Level 26: Armor Specialization (Plate)
Level 28: Past Soul
Level 30: Eerie Resurgence

ITEMS
Nullifying Ring (epic tier) x1
Verve Godplate Armor +6 x1
Amulet of Protection +6 x1
Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier) x1
Firebird (epic tier) x1
Ring of Circling Fangs (paragon tier) x1
Shield of Deflection Heavy Shield (epic tier) x1
Defensive Longsword +5 x1
====== End ======

[/sblock]

And LDB's is here

guides
Power
my builds

Honestly, the PvP would not be of that much interest or use, but seeing different 'optimized' builds progress through the same overpowered delve with just a standard rest between each encounter would be interesting.  PvP is just one style of combat.  A delve could involve a variety of encounters - both combat and non-combat based (skill challenge, etc...).
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
Honestly, the PvP would not be of that much interest or use, but seeing different 'optimized' builds progress through the same overpowered delve with just a standard rest between each encounter would be interesting.  PvP is just one style of combat.  A delve could involve a variety of encounters - both combat and non-combat based (skill challenge, etc...)

Well, i still intend on running this just for fun...  even if nothing "useful" comes of it.

But running a delve thing would be fun too, and probably be more "useful".

guides
Power
my builds

START!

Init:
STT: 8+30  (location 0x0)  Dice of Auspicious Fortune: 10, 17, 6
Rev: 9+15  (location 20x20)

No surprise here.... STT goes first.

Minor: Quarry
Minor: Master of the Hunt
Standard: Pounding Barrage

11+40 = Hit
Rev: Immidiate Interupt  Deadened Blow (insubstantial)
7+48 + 15 (quarry) = 70 - 10 /2 = 30  (vuln 5, grants CA) Rev HP = 211
Firebird: 7   STT HP = 180

14+42= Hit
11+53+5 (2 hits)= 69 -10 /2 = 29:  Rev HP = 182
Firebird: 2  STT HP = 178

8+42= Hit
5+53 (immobilized)  = 58-10 /2 = 24:  Rev HP = 158
Firebird: 12 STT HP = 166

Rev:
Minor: Shield of the Iron Mind
Move: Shadow Jaunt (insubstantial, location (17x17))
Standard: Second Wind (+7 defense: 55 AC)  HP = 225

guides
Power
my builds

The Nova:
5 missile dance:

7+42 = Miss
11+53 /2 = 32 -10 / 2 = 11  Rev HP = 214

14+42 = Hit
11+53 = 64 - 10/2 = 27  Rev HP = 187

Crit!
24+53 +17(crit dice)+24(quarry)+30 (sneak attack) = 148 - 10 / 2 = 69  Rev HP = 118 (Bloodied)

6+42 = Miss
13+53/2  = 33  -10 /2 = 11  Rev HP = 107

11+42 = Miss
Stone of Wind: Crit!
24+53 + 24 =  101  -10/2 = 45  Rev HP = 42
Rev Location (18x18)

Snap Shot:
12+42 = Miss
Dice of Auspicious Fortune: 17+42 = Hit
9+53 = 62 - 10/2 = 26   Rev HP = 16
Torc: 2+6 < 10, no recovery.

Action Point (recover snap shot)
Ring of free time:
Snap Shot:
2+42 = Miss
Torc 3+6 <10, no recovery

Confounding Arrow:
16+42 = Hit
3+53 (dazed save ends) = 56  -10/2 = 23  Rev HP = -7  (dying)

8+42 = Miss
Undeniable Victory: Hit
6+53 = 59  -30/2 = 14  Rev = -21

9+42 = Miss

Firebird: 1d12*5 = 36   SST: 130
Stormhawk: 30 * 2    SST: 70

Rev: Save vs Daze  (8 + 11) Saved

Move:  Location (13x13)
Standard: Total Defense

Rev: Death save (14 + 23):  HP = 67  +2 to all defenses and death saving throws.

Conclusion: The revenant will win.

guides
Power
my builds

Why in the world would the Archer Nova after the Revenant Second Winded and got huge defensive boosts (for a round)??  He would either Nova 1st round before your 2nd wind or wait it out a round and Nova 3rd round.

Daren
Why in the world would the Archer Nova after the Revenant Second Winded and got huge defensive boosts (for a round)??  He would either Nova 1st round before your 2nd wind or wait it out a round and Nova 3rd round.

Daren

Revenant can just keep total defensing.  So that part isn't an issue.  However, insubstantial would of worn off in round 3.  And he could of twin-striked twice to bring him closer to 0 before starting the nova.

Round 2:

Twin-strike
17+43 Hit:
6+43 = 49 - 10/2 = 19  Rev HP = 206
Firebird: 7  SST: 159

6+43 Miss

Round 3:

Rev: move (12,12) and total defense.

16+43 Hit:
7+43 = 50 - 10 = 40  Rev HP = 166
Firebird: 3  SST: 156

6+43 Miss

Rev move (10, 10) and total defense.

Nova.  Redux.

5 missile dance:

5+42 = Miss
Dice of Auspicious Fortune Hit
22+53 = 75 -10 = 65  Rev HP = 101 (bloodied)

18+42 = Hit
13+53 = 66 - 10 = 56  Rev HP = 45
Firebird: 1  SST: 155

4+42 = Miss
Stone of Wind 19 Crit!
24+53 +7(crit dice)+24(quarry)+30 (sneak attack) = 138 - 10 = 128  Rev HP = -83 (dying)
Rev: Belt of Sollinor rightousness (128)   SST: 27
Stormhawk vengence 30  SST: -3
Firebird: 8  SST: -11
Rev get's pushed 1 (11 squares away)

SST's Death save: 7  1 strike

Rev:
Move: Fey strider (teleport 10)

Standard: CDG = Focused Rampage
6+35+CA (43) vs 47-5 (42)  Crit:
48+14+21(crit dice) = 83  SST: -72

Action Point:
CDG = Living Fortress
20(crit)
24+14+13(crit dice) = 51  SST: -123 (dead)

Revenant wins. 

guides
Power
my builds

Having participated in PVP, there are differences in how you build a character. Without having looked at Indestructable, it seems the easiest way to shut down a revenant build is with a single feat, Tainted Wounds (assuming a melee combatant). For a Ranged combatant it becomes a little trickier. My own ranged ranger, against a build similar to Revenant (Soul-forged armor with Stormhawk) has resorted to MC'ing monk and purchasing a low level impeding ki-focus. It only works for a round, but that is generally all it takes.
I also think there should be a rounds limit -- 10 or maybe 15.  If no one is dead after the limit it is a draw.  Because while the Revenant can keep total defensing, that just means he may not be killed (or is at least much harder to); it doesn't demonstrate that he would kill the Archer.

Daren
I believe Mellored's kill condition is that his enemy dies from thirst and/or starvation.

Also, it's more about whether the enemy can EVER kill the indestructible revenant. If yes, the Revenant loses. If the defense is impenetrable - the revenant wins.
Having participated in PVP, there are differences in how you build a character. Without having looked at Indestructable, it seems the easiest way to shut down a revenant build is with a single feat, Tainted Wounds (assuming a melee combatant). For a Ranged combatant it becomes a little trickier. My own ranged ranger, against a build similar to Revenant (Soul-forged armor with Stormhawk) has resorted to MC'ing monk and purchasing a low level impeding ki-focus. It only works for a round, but that is generally all it takes.

Well the simple problem is that 99% of charOP builds are not designed to deal with monster's ability to heal or come back to life after dropping below 0 hit points. So, in that regard, any normal optimized striker build is going to have a hard time facing a revenant-indestructible type build.

If you made the character specifically to face the revenant, things might be different  

Well the simple problem is that 99% of charOP builds are not designed to deal with monster's ability to heal or come back to life after dropping below 0 hit points. So, in that regard, any normal optimized striker build is going to have a hard time facing a revenant-indestructible type build.

If you made the character specifically to face the revenant, things might be different  

Oh, I agree. A normally optimised Character is not built for PVP, and because healing monsters are rare, tainted wounds is a bit of a waste when you are fighting monsters. That's why I pointed out there are differences in how you build a character, though maybe Mello's doesn't change.

Belt of sollinor rightousness's daily power wins the match.

Nothing like dealing more damage to an enemy then he delt to you 

guides
Power
my builds

Alternatively: Win initiative, leave. 

A STRANGE GAME.
THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS
NOT TO PLAY. 

D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
LordDuskBlade you have been challenged.

*Lvl 30, no restrictions.
*Standard starting wealth (lvl +1, lvl +0, lvl -1, lvl -1 gold) or straight gold?
*A flat, featureless, 20x20 box, starting at the corners.
*Any idea on a public dice roller?  If not, we can use the offical one.  I assume we can both trust eachother not to cheat.
*No building specificly anti-revenant (turn undead) or anti-ranger (cloak of distortion).  Though it might be fun for a re-match.
I* figure we'll do this play by post style.  Though interups might be tricky, so possibly let a 3rd party run it?

Any thoughts? objections?

MC paladin for Paladin's Truth to pierce all resistance and immunities.  Force weapon and Inescapable Force to handle the insubstantial.  Tainted Wounds to prevent any healing.  That pretty much counters the unkillable revenant package.

Gimmick build is gimmicky.
It's disheartening as a new Ranger to see the one considered to be THE best Ranger back down from what could have been a fun little experiment

I also believe the way the match was run was unfair as the Ranger played uninteligently and came from a non specific build. It was way in the Revenant's favor.
Belt of sollinor rightousness's daily power wins the match.

Nothing like dealing more damage to an enemy then he delt to you 

If it's knockout (or other unconscious power) + coup de grace, I don't think the belt would work.  The belt's daily applies "when you would be reduced to 0 hit points by an attack."  CDG reads, "If you deal damage greater than or equal to the target’s bloodied value, the target dies."  Thus if the hit kills you without dropping you below 0hp, no belt daily.

Incidentally, RAW, I'm not sure the daily works for anything that reduces you to negative; it may only be hits that reduce you to exactly 0.  In a home game, I'd certainly allow it to apply for hits dropping someone to sub-zero (not that I'd ever give one out to a revenant optimized for sub-zero shenanigans).  But if we're talking strict RAW, it seems like that wouldn't fly. 
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
It's disheartening as a new Ranger to see the one considered to be THE best Ranger back down from what could have been a fun little experiment

I also believe the way the match was run was unfair as the Ranger played uninteligently and came from a non specific build. It was way in the Revenant's favor.

Come on... LDB isn't "backing down."  I'm pretty sure he just doesn't want to participate in ego fappery.
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
Since these are PCs the ranger could just "knock unscious" the revenant and not even have to worry about dealing with his -bloodied value.  get some bounty hunter gloves, knock him out for 24hrs and chuck him in a volcano or something.
Why not use intimidate to force him to surrender? With a little skill optimization I am sure you could have a reasonable chance of success.
I believe Mellored's kill condition is that his enemy dies from thirst and/or starvation.

Reminds me of this:

Heroic Dungeon Master
I must say, this was a bit of a let down :/
Why on earth would the ranger nova right away?  Why wouldn't he just Twin Strike until the revenant was at 0 or close and then unleash his nova?
Since these are PCs the ranger could just "knock unscious" the revenant and not even have to worry about dealing with his -bloodied value.  get some bounty hunter gloves, knock him out for 24hrs and chuck him in a volcano or something.

I'm with this - knock unconscious or just keep pushing him until you find a lava pit, pool of acid, or some other method of complete destruction.  Hell, go beat on the Raven Queen until she agrees to revoke her blessing.  There's more than one way to skin a revenant...

And like LDB said, D&D really isn't made for PvP.  Add to this the very lopsided rules for winning (not dying and killing your opponent are two very different conditions), and this doesn't say much except revenants can be built to be unkillable in regular combat (which I think we know by now).

As well here's the big defeat of the entire revenant series. Any creature that is knocked to 0 or lower can be brought to just "unconscious" whereby it gets no death saving throws. So all the ranger needs to do is knock him unconscious...walk up to the revenant while it exchanges it's normal bow for the +5 Viscious one he carries around as well as changing it's ring for the war ring.

Then he does the mighty twin strike from a range of 1 for the kill(probably after sucking down the 5 or so potions of recovery he has at L30). Oh one dead revenant which in this case seems to have occured on T1 with the kill coming in on T3.

As well for all the computations vulnerability is not halved for insubstantial so that's some additional damage the first round. In addition the ring of free time has a std res 5 to all damage so the firebird damage would be reduced.

Most of the time it would prob go something along the lines of pounding arrows, and then confounding arrows for the stun(but most probably the revenant is unconscious at this point so it's moot). Then a twin strike on rd 3 for the kill as the ranger needs to cover the ground to reach the down revenant.

Again, this test didn't prove anything except that Mellored really wants to have babies with his revenant build.

This thread (and revenants in general) is worthless and should be deleted.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Again, this test didn't prove anything except that Mellored really wants to have babies with his revenant build.

Well, actually it shows that revenant cheese breaks the game.  I knew this a while ago, but I enjoyed the demonstration of its magnitude.  It's like 4.0's mini-pun pun: The Boring Edition.

Well, actually it shows that revenant cheese breaks the game.  I knew this a while ago, but I enjoyed the demonstration of its magnitude.  It's like 4.0's mini-pun pun: The Boring Edition.

While I won't dismiss the notion that revenant cheese breaks the game, this demonstration didn't prove that, his previous one did where he took on a standard encounter, and then the highest damaging brute he cound fine, and let them beat on him while he was helpless.  It would be trivial to build a PC that could kill him, it requires several of a very limited selection of Creatures to kill him, I'm not even certain it would be possible without simply inventing new creatures.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
@ zarthris: name calling? Really? This isn't an ego thing. Just something for fun.

@ LDB backing down: he's not a coward or anything, just uninterested. As mentioned, this didn't prove anything. It was just for fun.

@ bad tactics: I've already done this twice (and will do another half). Anyone is more then welcome to run it again. Also note that I forgot to use battlemind resilence.

@ resist 5: totally missed that. I'll re-calculate tomorroe. That very well may change the results. This is actually a pretty good match-up.

@ broken revenant: nothing about the battle needed revenant. It could of litterally been a living shadar-kai with soulforged armor, and it would of been the exact same. (At least before I factor in the resist 5). Though I definatly agree the belt needs to work on unconscious, not dying. And raven consort is pretty borked.

guides
Power
my builds

Pointless thread is pointless. 

Much like this post.

Implosion.

Ok, ignoring firbird completely...

SST took 123+25 and thus would have 18 HP. And next time he hurt Rev he would drop.

Assuming a crit, and max crit dice...
24+53+36 = 113 -30/2 = 41

Rev HP = -123 > 120. (dead).
SST: -7

Go SST death saves...
20 (yes, really, that was rolled)
SST surges and wins the match.

Conclusion: this is a surprisingly good match-up.

guides
Power
my builds

Right but mellored the thing you have missed for th entire 15 or so attacks is the following. For insubstantial only(ie not half damage factors insubstantial has a specific exception in it's wording) vulnerability is not halved. ie damage would be:

24+48+36=108-30/2=39+5 vulnerability=44 damage.

This phantom damage of 3 per hit would add some 40 additional points to the prior damage.

As well any revenant or "dying" build all suffer greatly from the I knock you below zero HP so I choose to knock you unconscious and kill you sometime in the next 5 mins. This type of kill is rather easy to arrange in any number of ways.