Making combat more "realistic"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone!! My name is Jon im 25, a full time fiber optics techinician, dad and husband. Needless to say my life is a bit busy! I have been DMing for about 6 years now and Ive never really used anything other than a battle map for my combat. Even with our battle map we have never used miniutaure (too nerdy for us Wink) or building blocks to create rooms, just lil squares on a tan map and some d4s as characters! My group and I only get to game once a month (if we are lucky) and Id like to add a bit more to the battle field. I dont have much time to sit around and make things (let alone write out an adventure) and I was wondering if anyone knew any good websites that may sell premade building blocks (or rooms or something easily put together) for a battle map?

I was just reading this interesting article

www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/07/delving-in...

and saw a picture of a battle map with walls and pillars and such on it. Thought it was cool and thought it would be cool to get something like this.

Any ideas? Thanks!!
www.worldworksgames.com

enjoy.
Show
I don't have a perfect memory, thus I don't always recall the rules and mechanics perfectly. I also don't usually peruse the book before opening my "mouth", so cut me some slack if I'm little off every now and again. When logic fails to be present, the rational must inject logic into the situation.
Ego pad:
Show
Groveborn: Mesinock, I have been complimented on my ability to convey a message, but I think you are my superior. I haven't noticed you posting much, except when things get very convoluted, but when you do post, it's worth reading.
Our group uses a whiteboard with a grid on it.  Our dm can draw in terrain, etc and when zones are created by the players or things destroyed, it is easy to add those, as well.
I searched high and low for a white board with one inch squares to no avail.  In the end I bought 24x36 inch plexiglass took some vynil with 1" grid glued it to some stif cardboard and used duct tape around the edges to keep it all together.  I ended trimming it down to closer 24x26 for better size.  Just like whiteboard you use dry erase markers to draw whatever you like.
Check out Hirst Arts.  It's more of a hobby but it's cheaper than Dwarvern Forge and allows you to custom build whatever you want.

It's also worth noting it can get kind of expensive, figure you want 3 molds and a hefty bag of plaster which in total will run you $150 - $200 plus paints and the amount of time, but if you look over the results, I think you'd be pleased.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
www.worldworksgames.com

enjoy.

This is by far the coolest thing Ive seen as far as props go. These guys are awesome and it looks like it wont take up a whole lot of time! Thank you very much! Ive shown 2 of my players so far and they are excited to come over and get started lol.
Even with our battle map we have never used miniutaure (too nerdy for us )

Thank heavens you decided to nerd out like the rest of us! Wink  

www.worldworksgames.com

enjoy.

This is by far the coolest thing Ive seen as far as props go. These guys are awesome and it looks like it wont take up a whole lot of time! Thank you very much! Ive shown 2 of my players so far and they are excited to come over and get started lol.

Glad I could help out a fellow gamer.
Show
I don't have a perfect memory, thus I don't always recall the rules and mechanics perfectly. I also don't usually peruse the book before opening my "mouth", so cut me some slack if I'm little off every now and again. When logic fails to be present, the rational must inject logic into the situation.
Ego pad:
Show
Groveborn: Mesinock, I have been complimented on my ability to convey a message, but I think you are my superior. I haven't noticed you posting much, except when things get very convoluted, but when you do post, it's worth reading.