"Play" vs. "Put onto the battlefield", with lands

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This question came up last night during a M12 draft with some of my friends: Does a card like Djinn of Wishes let you get around the "Only one land per turn" restriction, or any other restriction created by a card or ability? Does Genesis Wave?
Djinn does not
Genesis Wave does
proud member of the 2011 community team
This question came up last night during a M12 draft with some of my friends: Does a card like Djinn of Wishes let you get around the "Only one land per turn" restriction, or any other restriction created by a card or ability? Does Genesis Wave?

Djinn: No.
Genesis Wave: Yes.
Djinn? no, also note that you can't play a land on an opponent's turn even via Djinn.

Genesis Wave isn't playing a land so it doesn't count towards the one per turn rule.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

The only way to "play" more than one land per turn is with spells and abilities that expressly say you can exceed this limit. However, an effect which puts a land card onto the battlefield isn't the same as "playing a land." Djinn of Wishes will not allow you to play a second land in a turn, but Genesis Wave will allow you to put any land cards revealed onto the battlefield.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.