Attachments: A 72-ish hour contest

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, a contest.

Grading on this will probably be slow due to The Brain, Blind Eternities and World Champs (maybe not so much the last one, but I need more thinking thinkers.

So, there's equipment, and there's fortifications. The criteria for this contest is to make a card using one of the following very strangely familiar mechanics:

Null Etchplate |
Artifact - Augmentation
Augmented artifact has no abilities and is not a creature.
Augment (: Attach to target artifact you control. Augment only as a sorcery.)

Restless Key |
Artifact - Ethereal
Melded enchantment becomes a 2/2 creature and isn't an aura. (If it's attached it becomes unattached).
Ethermeld (: Attach to target enchantment you control. Ethermeld only as a sorcery.)

Comments and rankings.
Parasite Engine
Artifact - Augmentation
You may activate augment abilities of augmentations you don't control.
Augmented artifact is an Augmentation with augment and "Augmented permanent is a copy of this artifact."
Augment
Enchantress' Locket -
Artefact - Ethereal
Melded Enchantment has "If this card was to be put into a graveyard from play, return it to it's owners hand instead."
Ethermeld (: Attach to target enchantment you control. Ethermeld only as a sorcery.)
The locket serves two purposes, vanity and preventing red mages from ruining your day.
You should probably make it so augments can't be attached to themselves.

Integral Reconstitutor

Artifact – Augmentation

, Sacrifice augmented artifact: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the converted mana cost of the sacrificed artifact, put it onto the battlefield, and attach Integral Reconstitutor to it. If you do, shuffle your library.
Augment

"Let us begin again."
–Memnarch

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Reset Button | :4M:
Artifact - Augmentation
When ~ enters the battlefield, untap all artifacts you control.
Augmented artifact has ":3M:: Untap this artifact." 
Augment  :1M:

"Able to reset all that couldn't be undone. The master button to push."
What is the point of Null Etchplate?
Gonna try something tricky here...

Jewel of Timelessness
Artifact - Ethereal Augmentation Equipment
Attached permanent has Shroud and is indestructible.
Ethermeld
Augment
Equip
Nothing can alter the jewel; not even time. 
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.

Jinxed Choker, Jinxed Idol, Plague Boiler, Ensnaring Bridge etc...

Please explain how it forms a playable combo with any of those.
Tezzeret's Trinket
Artifact - Augmentation
Augmented artifact is a 5/5 Artifact Creature.
Augment
"Made from his own etherium, it is said to give life to any artifact it touches."
Photobucket
Expander's Toolkit |
Artifact - Augmentation
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may exchange augmented artifact with an artifact card in your hand.
Accidents happen on purpose I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Cryptic Manifold -
Artifact - Ethereal
Melded Enchantment gains Hexproof and "Sacrifice this perminant: You gain Hexproof until end of turn."
"Don't touch? Where does it say that?" - Mikki, Goblin Mastermind
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
To the window did I flee, chased by the spirits of three, I took out my gun and aimed for his head, Nailed myself to the floor with a bullet insted.
Reality Clasp 
Artifact - Ethereal

When melded enchantment is put into a graveyard, return it to its owner's hand.
Ethermeld  
I have too many irons in the fire.
Some useful keyboard shortcuts on Windows
Long dash (em-dash) — Alt+0151 Short dash (en-dash) – Alt+0150 Capital æsc Æ Alt+0198 Lowercase æsc æ Alt+0230 Or you could just copy/paste them from this signature, I guess.
Reality Loop -
Artifact - Ethereal
Whenever an enchantment comes into play, attach Reality Loop to it.
At the end of turn, return all permanents with Reality Loop attached to them to their owners' hands.
If Reality Loop would leave the battefield due to an ability or spell, instead return Reality Loop into play under it's owner's control.
Ethermeld
Here we go again.

wordy card is indeed WORDY

Please explain how it forms a playable combo with any of those.

It could allow your creatures to attack if you put it on Ensnaring Bridge and then unattached it to shut down the opponents'.  It's lost on me on how it's useful with other cards mentioned.
It could allow your creatures to attack if you put it on Ensnaring Bridge and then unattached it to shut down the opponents'.

Assuming you have another artifact hanging around that you don't mind shutting off during your combat phase.

Very limited. Really just an example. To be useful it would really need an activated unattach cost I think. You could use it for a few things - protecting artifact creatures from removal, or locking out drawbacks until they're worth it etc.
Quick Trigger |
Artifact -- Augmentation
Attach only to equipment.
Augmented artifact has: "Equip -- ".
Augment --
Voltaic Lock
Artifact - Augmentation
, : Untap augmented artifact.
Augment -
Secret Compartment
Artifact - Augmentation
Whenever ~ becomes attached to an artifact, flip a coin. If you win the flip, sacrifice ~ and draw two cards
Augment -
For a goblin, the amusement of a puzzle only last as long as its average attention span.

This thing should roughly translate to metalcraft - : draw 2 cards on average.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Secret Compartment
Artifact - Augmentation
Whenever ~ is attached to an artifact, flip a coin. If you win the flip, sacrifice ~ and draw two cards
Augment -
For a goblin, the amusement of a puzzle only last as long as its average attention span.

You'll want to phrase it "Whenever ~ becomes attached to an artifact." Worded as you have it, it will constantly trigger until you win a flip (negating the point of having a coin flip). "Is" describes a state of being, while "becomes" describes an action.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
Equip 1 to draw 2 has never gone wrong before
No walkerquipment?
No walkerquipment?

Boooooo.
Any chance of seeing some rank/judges soon?
72 hours??? It is already four days ago... Disappointing this is... Post next time on your threads, I will not...
72 hours??? It is already four days ago... Disappointing this is... Post next time on your threads, I will not...

It's cute that you think I mind, and that you're still new enough to know that if a contest gets finished at all it's good on these boards, and that you ignored the '-ish' in the thread title.
Regardless, last week got a little crazy. I'm grading now though.

Hang on to your hats.
Ranked submissions, now with comments!

Submissions
Tezzeret's Trinket
Artifact - Augmentation
Augmented artifact is a 5/5 Artifact Creature.
Augment
"Made from his own etherium, it is said to give life to any artifact it touches."

Yeeeees. Possibly a bit undercosted, but a really neat idea taken from the Tezz. This is the exact reason that CKY is right in that it needs to be defined that Augmentations can't be attached to themseleves, but that's my problem, not yours. Great flavour nod and a great idea ala Rusted Relic.

Quick Trigger |
Artifact -- Augmentation
Attach only to equipment.
Augmented artifact has: "Equip -- ".
Augment --

Another really simple idea, well executed.
You should probably make it so augments can't be attached to themselves.

Integral Reconstitutor

Artifact – Augmentation

, Sacrifice augmented artifact: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the converted mana cost of the sacrificed artifact, put it onto the battlefield, and attach Integral Reconstitutor to it. If you do, shuffle your library.
Augment

"Let us begin again."
–Memnarch

Hmm, you're right. Noted.
This is really cool. Kind of like Birthing Pod, but better IMO. This is a cool exploration of the space.

Enchantress' Locket -
Artefact - Ethereal
Melded Enchantment has "If this card was to be put into a graveyard from play, return it to it's owners hand instead."
The locket serves two purposes, vanity and preventing red mages from ruining your day.

I like it! Nice nod to the various enchantresses. Minor spelling and wording issues.

Reality Clasp 
Artifact - Ethereal

When melded enchantment is put into a graveyard, return it to its owner's hand.
Ethermeld  

This is, well, good. It's also identical to Enchantresses Locket (the second submission in this thread). Ranking is giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Cryptic Manifold -
Artifact - Ethereal
Melded Enchantment gains Hexproof and "Sacrifice this perminant: You gain Hexproof until end of turn."
"Don't touch? Where does it say that?" - Mikki, Goblin Mastermind

I like this too. It's straight ahead while still being interesting, although to be honest, I'm not sure how Hexproof is relevantly different enough to shroud once this has been attached (presumably you're not attaching another one).

Reset Button | :4M:
Artifact - Augmentation
When ~ enters the battlefield, untap all artifacts you control.
Augmented artifact has ":3M:: Untap this artifact." 
Augment  :1M:

"Able to reset all that couldn't be undone. The master button to push."

Simple idea, well done. I like it. I don't really get the flavour text.

Expander's Toolkit |
Artifact - Augmentation
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may exchange augmented artifact with an artifact card in your hand.

The use of exchange is interesting - I'm not actually sure whether the Toolkit would end up attached to the new permanent or not. I think this could actually cost a little less - not a lot though.

Secret Compartment
Artifact - Augmentation
Whenever ~ becomes attached to an artifact, flip a coin. If you win the flip, sacrifice ~ and draw two cards
Augment -

A secret compartment that you lost the key for? It's OK. I like the flavour text!

Reality Loop -
Artifact - Ethereal
Whenever an enchantment comes into play, attach Reality Loop to it.
At the end of turn, return all permanents with Reality Loop attached to them to their owners' hands.
If Reality Loop would leave the battefield due to an ability or spell, instead return Reality Loop into play under it's owner's control.
Ethermeld
Here we go again.

wordy card is indeed WORDY

Short of things like Fists of Ironwood, I'm not sure I get this card. I think it's reasonable, but I don't think I get it. Maybe I'm not Johnny enough. The only thing it seems good for is making your opponents Auras irrelevant on defence. Also think it could do without the second ability completely.

Voltaic Lock
Artifact - Augmentation
, : Untap augmented artifact.
Augment -

*sucks indrawn breath through teeth*
While there's nothing technically wrong with tapping permanents attached to other permanents (as Second Wind shows us), it's highy unintuitive to most players IMO. I personally mark up Second Wind as a failed experiment personally. But yes, it works within the rules, and I love the flavour nod.

Parasite Engine
Artifact - Augmentation
You may activate augment abilities of augmentations you don't control.
Augmented artifact is an Augmentation with augment and "Augmented permanent is a copy of this artifact."
Augment

Er... I can't even imagine how complicated this would be to play. That and the fact that it kind of cascades backwards - you augment something, which becomes a copy of parasite engine, and then you attach that - which already has an attachment itself - to another artifact, etc etc. And every time you do that, you're pretty much doing nothing. All you can do is activate your opponents augment abilities - it doesn't change the legal target for an attachment, so you can't attach your opponents augmentations to your own artifacts.

Gonna try something tricky here...

Jewel of Timelessness
Artifact - Ethereal Augmentation Equipment
Attached permanent has Shroud and is indestructible.
Ethermeld
Augment
Equip
Nothing can alter the jewel; not even time. 

This just doesn't make sense. Probably not a good direction to go in.

I thought it would be a fun add on if you decided to use another Ethereal on it. might be a fun addition.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
To the window did I flee, chased by the spirits of three, I took out my gun and aimed for his head, Nailed myself to the floor with a bullet insted.
Er... I can't even imagine how complicated this would be to play. That and the fact that it kind of cascades backwards - you augment something, which becomes a copy of parasite engine, and then you attach that - which already has an attachment itself - to another artifact, etc etc. And every time you do that, you're pretty much doing nothing. All you can do is activate your opponents augment abilities - it doesn't change the legal target for an attachment, so you can't attach your opponents augmentations to your own artifacts.

I have to correct this faulty thinking, sorry: If Augmentations are supposed to be functionally similar to Equipments, and have an activated ability (Augment) that mirrors Equip, this is what you need to know--Equip [cost] means "[cost]: Attach this Equipment to target creature you control. Activate as a sorcery." So, Augment [cost] means "[cost]: Attach this Augmentation to target artifact you control. Activate as a sorcery." I think you get that part. The part you don't get is that if you activate the ability, you control the ability. Doesn't matter if you control the source of the ability or not. So, in relation to the Parasite Engine, you could activate your opponent's Augmentations targetting only artifacts you control, but not the artifacts he/she/they control.

I'll give Lethal Vapors as the example to prove my point, since it's the only card I know of that has "you" in the effect and can be activated by non-controller players. {edit} Gatherer educates me to Lightning Storm, Mana Cache, and Mercenaries.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I've gotta say, I'm disappointed with my review. I should get points for exploring the possibilities, right?

Expander's Toolkit |
Artifact - Augmentation

The use of exchange is interesting - I'm not actually sure whether the Toolkit would end up attached to the new permanent or not. I think this could actually cost a little less - not a lot though.

Thought about it too, but decided to cost it carefully - artifacts tend to get out of hand pretty easy. Based on Arcanum Wings I think it would be attached.
Accidents happen on purpose I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I have to correct this faulty thinking, sorry: If Augmentations are supposed to be functionally similar to Equipments, and have an activated ability (Augment) that mirrors Equip, this is what you need to know--Equip [cost] means "[cost]: Attach this Equipment to target creature you control. Activate as a sorcery." So, Augment [cost] means "[cost]: Attach this Augmentation to target artifact you control. Activate as a sorcery." I think you get that part. The part you don't get is that if you activate the ability, you control the ability. Doesn't matter if you control the source of the ability or not. So, in relation to the Parasite Engine, you could activate your opponent's Augmentations targetting only artifacts you control, but not the artifacts he/she/they control.

I'll give Lethal Vapors as the example to prove my point, since it's the only card I know of that has "you" in the effect and can be activated by non-controller players. {edit} Gatherer educates me to Lightning Storm, Mana Cache, and Mercenaries.

OK. Thanks.

I've gotta say, I'm disappointed with my review. I should get points for exploring the possibilities, right?

Well, no. You didn't do anything with either the augmentation or the ethereal concept, you just put all the subtypes together. It didn't explore how it's an augmentation, or ethereal, you just gave me a card that could be attached to anything.

Expander's Toolkit |
Artifact - Augmentation

Thought about it too, but decided to cost it carefully - artifacts tend to get out of hand pretty easy. Based on Arcanum Wings I think it would be attached.

Yes, you're absolutely right. And you were pretty close to be honest. I think I'd drop one of the costs by , but not both. So you were pretty solid there I think. Your ranking really reflects that there were cards I just liked more than yours rather than it had a lot on inherent flaws.
wait are they ranked from hghest to lowest or can i just not see the score cuz i'm not fully awake right now? if the first one sweet, I got first place than right?
Photobucket
Yes you did!
sweet! gotta love playing the flavor aspect.
Photobucket