Dragon 401 - Surely You Joust!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon 401
Surely You Joust!

By Alana Joli Abbott

If you are an adventurer who prefers sunlight to gloom, who favors chivalry and camaraderie over mingling with monsters, a joust might be just what you need to eliminate the dungeon doldrums.

Talk about this article here.

Well It has a new feat Jousting Charge which looks quite nice, I could see myself taking it.

Daniel. 
Lovely article. Well researched and full of flavor and ideas. Thanks, Alana!

Also, I love the the cover art. 
Excellent article, and I'm so glad for Alana. She is a really cool and imaginative person (I've worked with her on an LFR project).

I was curious how this article would work with the one I was writing. They really work well together. You can use these rules for specific contests and add others based on Step Into the Ring. I love the detail Alana brought to the parade ground and the various events. You can run a whole castle tournament off of this article!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Great article. It was well made and has lots of flavor and is reinforced by an interesting dynamic mechanic.

There will be times when it will be very useful i guarantee.   

Cookie to you Alana Joli Abbott  

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Agreed, great article. I did have only one minor nitpick with it. The article on page 4 says that lances are basically the equivalent of longspears. As per current RAW, longspears are two-handed weapons which means it is roughly impossible for a mounted character to wield a shield while jousting or fighting with a "lance". Perhaps if a specific rule allowed longspears to be used one-handed while mounted, or perhaps the creation of a new one-handed weapon with the "reach" property called the "lance" could have remedied this issue. Other than that minor detail, this was a very flavorful article and I hope to see more from her in the future.

I've just noticed the one feat in the article doesn't actually work as written...

It says,  If you hit a target with a charge attack while you are mounted, you can push the target 1 square and then shift 1 square into the square the target vacated.

Trouble it's your mount that needs to shift not you, as powers/feats allowing you to shift have no effect while mounted.

This should be re-written as,

If you hit a target with a charge attack while you are mounted, you can push the target 1 square and then your mount may shift 1 square into the square the target vacated.  

Daniel. 
Can anyone confirm if any changes were made to this feat, or if it was removed from the article? I'm no longer a subscriber so cannot check myself, the feat doesn't appear in the compendium though.

Cheers,

Daniel.