Tempered Steel

130 posts / 0 new
Last post
So this is the only deck that T8'd SCG and Japanese Nats. 

Two slots in Japan.
Two slots at SCG.

Believe it or not guys, we now have a "best deck" in the format.  

Discuss

(Just ordered 4 steel @ 4 a piece to hedge my bets) 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
lololol, glad I got mine for chump change.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

I'll leave it to someone else to comment on your "best deck" conclusion and how you came to it. 

Its a deck we'll need to be ready for; I can proceed with that.

It's kind of new to me.  It's a very annoying deck, but maybe people get used to it over time.  I'm not sure yet how I'll deal with it. 

To be honest, it kind of pisses me off, and definitely makes me wonder what the FFL missed (can we now safely assume that there was bound to be something?), and whether we can look forward to reading threads full of wailing, gnashing of teeth and hysterical calls for the ban of Tempered Steel. 

What do you think, was the FFL trying to fit in Blightsteel Colossi or something or the sort?  What misguided deck building efforts do you imagine happened?

Attitude reflects leadership. Vindicated! * HawkBlade is aggro/control! * Post-ban HawkBlade! * Jace, the Mind Sculptor is good! * End-of-Lorwyn TurboFog! ‘Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again.’ – André Gide '...but if you're repeating yourself in an online forum, chances are you're just feeding a troll.' - Rat Bastardsen
Why do you automatically assume that FFL "missed" the deck? Maybe they just wanted the card to be good.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Eh, I don't feel like I over paid.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
One more thing - if they want to make aggro playable, it needs to be playable without having to run a dozen 0 cost spells and win on turn 2. 

Honestly, they need to think of a better way to solve that problem.
Attitude reflects leadership. Vindicated! * HawkBlade is aggro/control! * Post-ban HawkBlade! * Jace, the Mind Sculptor is good! * End-of-Lorwyn TurboFog! ‘Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again.’ – André Gide '...but if you're repeating yourself in an online forum, chances are you're just feeding a troll.' - Rat Bastardsen

Eh, I don't feel like I over paid.

I don't either. It's more that I under-paid.

I had everything but the overseers and the steels from having KRed.  Here are two things to take away: A) it hates out Red deck B) it isn't like the meta was unprepared or people hadn't seen it before because it was THE DECK from Block.
Show
So this is the only deck that T8'd SCG and Japanese Nats. 

Two slots in Japan.
Two slots at SCG.

Believe it or not guys, we now have a "best deck" in the format.  

Discuss

(Just ordered 4 steel @ 4 a piece to hedge my bets) 

At 4 apiece you're still going cheap; they're at least $5 here, typically up around $8, and our dollar is worth more than yours.

I wouldn't peg Tempered Steel as the far and away 'best deck' on the basis of these results, but it's definitely a major player, and has been on MODO for some time (rose very quickly following the ban). It works well in the online metagame because it has similar matchups as RDW (less game against the U/x Control decks, but not by enough to make the matchup swing from + to -) but it crushes RDW in the head to head.

EDIT: Ratchet Bombs will probably see increased play if Tempered Steel goes much better than it is; it's still pretty crippling against them, even though their curve is now spread out a bit more with Vault Skirge and Legionaire 'faking' their mana costs. 
Why do you automatically assume that FFL "missed" the deck? Maybe they just wanted the card to be good.

Why do you think?

I actually can only remember one of the retarded moves we learned about recently about testing in the FFL.  I remember that they were trying to use Destructive Force in Valakut, and apparently never tried it without. 

They made a similarly retarded move while testing another deck recently.  Anyone remember what that was?
I frankly do not understand how TS crushes Mono-Red. Well, ok, I take that back. I don't see how it beats K-Red.

I frankly do not understand how TS crushes Mono-Red. Well, ok, I take that back. I don't see how it beats K-Red.

I don't know about the K-Red matchup, but with RDW it resolves a Steel, and then all of it's creatures block without dying or otherwise outmuscle red's, putting RDW in the position that as soon as they draw dead, they fall quite far behind.

It also has access to Timely Reinforcements and the other retarded red-hate cards that white routinely gets, many of which will be as good in the Kred matchup. 

I think the KRed matchup would be defined in most matches by who won the die roll to be frank.

EDIT: Resolved Steel is obviously nuts.  Especially on turn 2 (INSANE OFF MOX).  The hate from the SB is good gravy as well.   
Show

I think the KRed matchup would be defined in most matches by who won the die roll to be frank.

EDIT: Resolved Steel is obviously nuts.  Especially on turn 2 (INSANE OFF MOX).  The hate from the SB is good gravy as well.   

Fair points. I'll have to test it. These results are screwing with my deck choices.

Tempered Steel is like two Bushwhackers all the time.
Show
Tempered Steel is like two Bushwhackers all the time.

Yes, I get that =P.

Whenever I see a promising new deck, I don't think "what list would I run?", I think "how can I hate it out?".  Nature's claim looks like a promising answer, as does marrow shards for if they swing before steel.

What do you think?

Well, I've been running Shards for a while =D

I like playing the card, but I hate that it exists.  It's just so good at what it does. 
Show
^ building on this, how does one go about hating out tempered steel.  specifically in things related to UW and UB.  i'm getting my ass kicked all of a sudden by this deck a lot and i don't like it.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Yeah, Steel seems really powerful. It's telling that a block deck is playing 1 non-block card (Overseer), and doing really well.

Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7
^ building on this, how does one go about hating out tempered steel.  specifically in things related to UW and UB.  i'm getting my ass kicked all of a sudden by this deck a lot and i don't like it.

I've just started working on this too.  How many Condemn are in your MD/SB? 

I seem to recall seeing a lot of Oust in some SGC or JPN lists, but it doesn't seem all that good against TS.  What do you think Oust is for?

Shards sounds good as long as you can keep Overseer and TS off the board. 

Ratchet Bomb?

I've been beating it with Ascension and that's one of the reasons I'm in love with the deck right now.  
Show
One of the four ran Thopter

EDIT:  My links died as new coverage was added 
Show
neither link had a tempered steel list.  Oh well, I came up with my own.

Try this one instead: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

I never really liked Thopter in there; didn't do enough when you didn't have a pump. 

Discuss

- UW can't colorhose it like it can monored
- majority of creatures flies, meaning timely reinforcement tokens, golems and such will just be flown over (and which is why I would recommend playing spined thopter over legionnaire)
- it has glint hawk idol, for its small part
-  steel has surprisingly good matchup against monored since the decks are relatively as fast, steel can run firewalker, and tempered steel hitting the board is gg. Steel will eventually get bigger creatures than red can handle.

biggest weakness: vulnerability against pyroclasm before you get tempered steel.

"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal
Hey guyz,

Day of Judgment still exists in T2, right, guys?

The deck is a bunch of weak 1/1s and 2/1s when a Steel gets countered, right, guys?

It's a dog to Gideon Jura sans Oblivion Rings (And trolol spell pierce), right, guys?

I mean, yeah it's a legit deck. But a deck that's kept in check by the most generic UW Control decks will never be `The Best Deck TM`.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet

It's a lot about playing agaisnt it. During testing yesterday, I was running steel agaisnt a UW player. I smashed him continuously, then I told him how he should be playing agaisnt the deck, and didn't win a game for the rest of the day with steel agaisnt him. People who try to hold open counterspells for Steel often get hit hard, board position, then stabilizing with O-ring and steel is fine.

I've been running MD bombs in a Tezz list, and steel isn't a problem.

Steel feels exactly like Kred, where people who aren't expecting it get slaughtered by it, but there are plenty of decent hate cards to stop it.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

Temp Steel dies to marrow shards and slagstorm. I feel like the nationals lists were lucky no one in the top 8 seemed to be playing those cards.

------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot

Temp Steel dies to marrow shards and slagstorm. I feel like the nationals lists were lucky no one in the top 8 seemed to be playing those cards.

Well, those cards aren't thay players. They also hate seeing Pyroclasm, which is a more regular SB card, and ratchet bomb, which I expect to be appearing more.

Efficient removal in general is actually nice agasint them, take out pest, overseer and steel and they have a deck full of crap cards. It's just a case of keeping those off the field, and playing your own guys.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
The U/W Tempered Steel lists have Unified Will/Leak that they can just ride to gg.
Show
No one's running green these days, but Creeping Corrosion out of the sideboard has been strong for me.
I was just gonna say, it looks like it's actually time to be janky enough to board Creeping Corrosion..  I would truly hate to board a card that's literally useless against every other matchup though.

It's the UW Steel lists that freak me out, like Islands said for their inclusion of Mana Leak.  I'm just gonna go ahead and order Ratchet Bombs.  They have merit against most aggro anyway.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
I was just gonna say, it looks like it's actually time to be janky enough to board Creeping Corrosion..  I would truly hate to board a card that's literally useless against every other matchup though.

It's the UW Steel lists that freak me out, like Islands said for their inclusion of Mana Leak.  I'm just gonna go ahead and order Ratchet Bombs.  They have merit against most aggro anyway.

It's been useful for the other random matchup I've been seeing lately - that Puresteel Paladin deck.

Anyone else getting flashbacks to what people were saying after affinity won its first tourney?

------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
I lol'd.

If Tempered Steel is really going to show up hard on the radar I intend to go back to BR.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Based on a valakut shell, 3 clasm MD + 2-3 creeping corrosion from the board should give you a decent advantage over them.  A turn 3 corrosion just totally kill that deck.

IMHO, the only reason that tempered did well is because nobody was expecting it.
Tempered Steel is doing well because people do not have these cards SB:

Slagstorm
Day of Judgment
Creeping Corrosion
Black Sun's Zenith

All of those will wreck Tempered Steel

Slagstorm
Day of Judgment
Creeping Corrosion
Black Sun's Zenith

You listed four cards that aren't good against the deck.  Congrats!

Slagstorm and Zenith are only marginally useful ON THE PLAY.  The others are garbagey even then.  All of these also walk right in to Leak/Unified for the gg g2/3.

*eye roll*
Show
Personally that's why I'm liking the bomb, because it's usually in before the counters.  And the only things most Steel decks board against artifacts are a couple O-rings and a Revoke Existence, if that.  Granted if Ratchet Bomb becomes a popular Steel hoser, that'll change.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.

Slagstorm
Day of Judgment
Creeping Corrosion
Black Sun's Zenith

You listed four cards that aren't good against the deck.  Congrats!

Slagstorm and Zenith are only marginally useful ON THE PLAY.  The others are garbagey even then.  All of these also walk right in to Leak/Unified for the gg g2/3.

*eye roll*

Tempered steel deck taps out a lot it's really not that hard to play a pyroclasm/corrosion around their counter. As a matter of fact the U/W version in japan nats lost to a aggro/midrange G/W deck.

[

Tempered steel deck taps out a lot it's really not that hard to play a pyroclasm/corrosion around their counter. As a matter of fact the U/W version in japan nats lost to a aggro/midrange G/W deck.

There was even a game loss to Elesh norn...but that may ahve been against the monoW list.
[

There was even a game loss to Elesh norn...but that may ahve been against the monoW list.

My opponent: I'll cast tempered steel
Me: in respond I'll cast summoning trap.....into elesh norn

yea, it could be hilarious.