Innistrad: Werewolves?

195 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do you think the Innistrad will feature werewolves/lycans as a tribe? Being a gothic, horror-themed set, I would be surprised if they left these guys out. In general, werewolves haven't really been explored to much in the Magic universe, and I was just wondering how the designers would go about making these guys if they were included. 

Vampires vs. werewolves is not an uncommon concept, and that rivalry could be backed up by the conflict between Garruk and Liliana, if you know what I mean.
Sorin > Lilliana.
I'd rather have Sorin 2.0 than Lilliana
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
Liliana > Sorin. I'd rather have Liliana 2.0 than Sorin

Fixed.

Photobucket
Sorin > Lilliana. I'd rather have Sorin 2.0 than Lilliana

Well, Liliana is pretty much confirmed, so I don't think what you wants will do much impact.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

that rivalry could be backed up by the conflict between Garruk and Liliana, if you know what I mean.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I really hope that Vampires and Werewolves in this set will be the best of allies, kind of like Tom and Jerry.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
so far we know salamanders and zombies , birds, demons, spirits, and human shaman
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
This isn't Twilight.  Sorry.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
God I hope there are Werewolves. The only part that scares me is that they could make them have something to do with Morph which is one of the few mechanics I cant stand. As long as they resist the impulse to make a shifting sort of mechanic to turn them into the werewolves (Like all the werewolves are post transformation) then I will be very happy. Especially If they use a Moon theme in Green. Maybe something like

"Moon Light " Instant - target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn, If target creature is a werewolf it gets +4/+4 instead"

It would make me a happy panda. Also anyone else thing the claws on the back of the character in Wreath of Geists looks suspiciously like Werewolf claws? (okay, okay, they could be average bear claws, I get it. But I can dream right?)
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
i think elves with be the big blue race, humans or spirits the white race, goblins the red race, vamps and zombies the black race and salamanders/merfolk as the blue race
this is only speculation at this point
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
i think elves with be the big green race, humans or spirits the white race, goblins the red race, vamps and zombies the black race and salamanders/merfolk as the blue race
this is only speculation at this point

No offense but I hope your wrong. Elves are just boring at this point. I hope black is just zombies as vamps are kinda over done, Goblins seem like they will just always be the red race and blue looks like it could be promising with the salamanders. Iv got a good friend who runs a very annoying elf deck (what MTG player doesnt have a friend like this though right? If you dont have a friend like this then you probably are that friend) and I would like to see elves drop out of site for a year or two. plus the potential for werewolves would seem like a huge missed opportunity if they didnt capitalize on it.
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
I am so sick of goblins

they're just so freaking...boring! Viashino, Dwarves, Flame-kin - all are more interesting red races. Dwarves because they are so uncommon, Viashino because they're unique (and would be an interesting contrast to the amphin), and Flame-kin because they show the less bloody-minded aggressive side of red. Every time I see that goblins are on the next plane I die a little inside. 
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
What if there was something like gorgons? There are less than 10 gorgons in all of magic, so they could eaily expand on it (plus WotC could easily make a cool ability for the whole turn-people-to-stone thing)
God I hope there are Werewolves. The only part that scares me is that they could make them have something to do with Morph which is one of the few mechanics I cant stand. As long as they resist the impulse to make a shifting sort of mechanic to turn them into the werewolves (Like all the werewolves are post transformation) then I will be very happy.

well they could bring back level up to use with werewolves. that could also show them 'changing'
You have climbed your way to the top. You are now among the multivers' elite. Welcome to the Orzhov Syndicate.
You have climbed your way to the top. You are now among the multivers' elite. Welcome to the Orzhov Syndicate.
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
God I hope there are Werewolves. The only part that scares me is that they could make them have something to do with Morph which is one of the few mechanics I cant stand. As long as they resist the impulse to make a shifting sort of mechanic to turn them into the werewolves (Like all the werewolves are post transformation) then I will be very happy.

well they could bring back level up to use with werewolves. that could also show them 'changing'

eh I suppose they could but I also wasn't a huge fan of lvl-ups (or ROE as a set for that matter) While I LOVE lvl up from a flavor stand point (makes sense that the more "combat experience" a creature gets the better is going to be at what it does) as a mechanic I wasn't thrilled. They just required too much resource investment into a single creature for the majority of them to just become decent at best. I understand that the reason they werent playable without lvling them up was to force players to use the lvl up mechanic but at the same time I disliked when you had to lvl things up multiple times without getting much of a result. They were just entirely too slow. So unless lvlup werewolves were decent to begin with and then got better as the lvled then I wouldn't like it. (id prefere flipping like the Kamigawa legends if I had to have any old mechanic to show it) 

On a side note it would be interesting if they decided to have humans (or other races im not opposed to a goblin or elf werewolf) and if it was targeted by a "moon" card then it would get a counter that would make it into a werewolf. You could structure it like a Lvlup card except just have one thing for with a counter and one without, and without the lvl up mechanic itself.    
I am Red/Green
How nice it would be to have a featured plane without any elves for once. They appear so numerous that I am surprised elves don't exist in our real world.

Sadly for werewolves/lycans, it would be like Twilight all over again. Then again maybe that was a possible aim for the marketing team, "Magic + Twilight = Profit". All they would need then is to have implemented the respective shirtless legends.
How nice it would be to have a featured plane without any elves for once. They appear so numerous that I am surprised elves don't exist in our real world.

Sadly for werewolves/lycans, it would be like Twilight all over again. Then again maybe that was a possible aim for the marketing team, "Magic + Twilight = Profit". All they would need then is to have implemented the respective shirtless legends.

to everyone that is saying twilight when I think of vamps and werewolves in the same set I think more Underworld.
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Did everyone forget that blue is getting aggressive illusions? Why can't THAT be a supported tribe in innistrahd, while green gets spider-people?
Werewolves would be awesome.  I think they are an underutilized tribe in Magic.  Also I 2nd going a year or two without Goblin and Elves.  They are so boring.
I'm honestly hoping to see a Spirit heavy block again not Kamigawa style obviously, but good ol Orzhova style but with what little art we do have from Innistrad I'm already really happy with the gothic european style, especially for Moan of the Unhallowed and murder of crows.
I'm honestly hoping to see a Spirit heavy block again not Kamigawa style obviously, but good ol' Orzhova style but with what little art we do have from Innistrad I'm already really happy with the gothic european style, especially for Moan of the Unhallowed and murder of crows.

to everyone that is saying twilight when I think of vamps and werewolves in the same set I think more Underworld.

This. Although if they didn't make a Kate Beckinsale Planeswalker card i'd probably rage quit magic forever.
I am Red/Green
so far we know salamanders and zombies , birds, demons, spirits, and human shaman

How do we know that there are Salamanders in ISD?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Do you think the Innistrad will feature werewolves/lycans as a tribe?

Werewolves/lycanthropes are not a tribe.  There is no creature type that unites them, and wizards has backed up their decision not to make one.
Vampires vs. werewolves is not an uncommon concept, and that rivalry could be backed up by the conflict between Garruk and Liliana, if you know what I mean.

There is no mythological support for Vampires to be feuding with Lycanthropes.  Historically (as in the history of folklore) they have been at worst ambivalent to each other, and at times allies.  Then White Wolf's "Vampire: The Masquerade" was released in 1992, created the feud.  It was a masterful storyline that supported one of the most innovative RPG's in the last couple decades.  It was later remade in 1998 and it gained even more popularity.  This was followed by Underworld in 2003, which pretty much plagiarized White Wolf's storyline, and thrust this feud in to popular awareness.

Then, of course, Stephanie Meyer used it as a plot point and struggle in her Twilight series, first published in 2005, though I think the fued only became part of the series from the second novel on (though I have not read them myself).  Werewolves vs. Vampires may not be an uncommon concept right now, but that is because everyone is suckling at the udder of popular fiction.  1991 and before no one of note was developing fiction, or telling folk tales, of these two Gothic horrors as sworn enemies.  Do we really want M:tG to jump on a bandwagon that is probably about to crash and fade back in to obscurity before too long?  I say, "no."

Sadly, MaRo stated that the current direction of set development has Vampires as black's "IT" tribe.  They are fading zombies in to minor players, and pushing melodramatic, anemic, sex-objects as the tribe that we should expect to see for a couple years.   If that is the case, and they do need another tribe to oppose, please do not make it werewolves- especially since they are not a tribe..
werewolves might be seen again but they won't be  a main tribe
you need a mechanic that lets them have 2 forms to be weres
i think thry work best with flip cards like Nezumi Graverobber or threshold
or level up cards like

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I would like to see some kind of Champion effect for the werewolves ("Must champion a human when ETB or is sacrificed").  That would be pretty sweet.

My brain is already turning around some cool ETB effects that could be triggered when/if the champion creature dies.
I would like to see some kind of Champion effect for the werewolves ("Must champion a human when ETB or is sacrificed").  That would be pretty sweet.

My brain is already turning around some cool ETB effects that could be triggered when/if the champion creature dies.

i think flip or threshold is more likely than champion that or there will be a new kind or mechanic that powers said creature up after a certain condition is met
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I hope they bring back Werewolves, so we can stop having this thread everytime a new block comes out.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
I hope they bring back Werewolves, so we can stop having this thread everytime a new block comes out.

no were fanboys will never give up until werewolves replace one of the major races outright
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Some old European myths of vampires and werewolves had them as one creature with the qualities of individual werewolves and vampires combined, eg a Vǎrkolak(although these are more vampire). Other regions believed a werewolf that died of old age or execution was resurrected as a vampire. It actually wouldn't surprise me if they did something to include the connection. Ravnica had Rusalkas which are based on Slavic mythology so they aren't afraid to use medieval European myths. They've already shown a Geist in Innistrad which I believe is German.

Do you think the Innistrad will feature werewolves/lycans as a tribe?

Werewolves/lycanthropes are not a tribe.  There is no creature type that unites them, and wizards has backed up their decision not to make one.

There is no mythological support for Vampires to be feuding with Lycanthropes.  Historically (as in the history of folklore) they have been at worst ambivalent to each other, and at times allies.  Then White Wolf's "Vampire: The Masquerade" was released in 1992, created the feud.  It was a masterful storyline that supported one of the most innovative RPG's in the last couple decades.  It was later remade in 1998 and it gained even more popularity.  This was followed by Underworld in 2003, which pretty much plagiarized White Wolf's storyline, and thrust this feud in to popular awareness.

Then, of course, Stephanie Meyer used it as a plot point and struggle in her Twilight series, first published in 2005, though I think the fued only became part of the series from the second novel on (though I have not read them myself).  Werewolves vs. Vampires may not be an uncommon concept right now, but that is because everyone is suckling at the udder of popular fiction.  1991 and before no one of note was developing fiction, or telling folk tales, of these two Gothic horrors as sworn enemies.  Do we really want M:tG to jump on a bandwagon that is probably about to crash and fade back in to obscurity before too long?  I say, "no."

Sadly, MaRo stated that the current direction of set development has Vampires as black's "IT" tribe.  They are fading zombies in to minor players, and pushing melodramatic, anemic, sex-objects as the tribe that we should expect to see for a couple years.   If that is the case, and they do need another tribe to oppose, please do not make it werewolves- especially since they are not a tribe..

True, but what is todays Pop Fiction if not tomorrow's Mythology? The fact that it has popped up in several places has solidified the conflict between Vampires and Werewolves into something that will be a tenant of both creatures character design movie forward. While not all stories with Vampires will contain Werewolves and not all Werewolf stories will contain Vampires, you have to admit that when they do cross paths they are more likely to be at odds then they are to be allies because of the culture that currently surrounds them. Also I feel as if they are natural enemies, Vampires being the old/immortal, cultured, Some what world weary Race that resembles European Royalty in almost all iterations, where as Werewolves are the Primal, Savage, Uncontrollable beasts that have little if any control of their transformation or their actions during it.

Now Vampires that shine in the light probably wont be prevalent moving forward as they were only in a single series, but if multiple series over the cours of nearly twenty years sought to have Shiny Vampires persist through the ages, it would make sense that being Shiney would become included as part of what the character of Vampire is. 
I am Red/Green
I kinda like the idea for Werewolves, although if they are put in ISD I think they should be in mainly G possibly G/B.  As for other colors I am hoping more Illusions will be released for the U especially with the recent release of Lord of the Unreal.

A) kamigawa sucked, point blank, and i my mind it was partially because it had no elves. snakes were a pretty unfun tribe to build around because they had no support until coldsnap when they got othran viper and then they enjoyed like a two month period of semi-popularity.

B) ironically considering point "a" im hopping on the flip card abilities for werewolves. Like the weaker ones require a triggered ability to flip ie "whenever a creature dealt dmg by _ this turn dies, flip it." then the bigger guys can do it at will via an activated ability ie "sacrifice a creature: flip _." Then finally like a mass flip effect "blood moon 2 legendary enchantment: when _ etb flip all werewolves." obviously there are wording and mechanic abilities with that but you get the idea

Werewolves? You guys mean Human Wolf as a creature type right?

"Just put +1/+1 counters!" -Wizards new motto

It has to be Minion Wolf, or it won't sound as cool.  Ok fine, Human Wolf Minion.

They should so have Minions as a tribe.
At best maybe have something like mephidross vampire, where you turn everything into a werwolf, or an instant or sorcery that put a 'bite counter' on a creature you controlled into a vampire... (btw, where was that dude in the new mirrodin block? He was way cooler than their new vampires that they pulled out of their butt).

At to what MaRo says, I hate to say it but Vampires are lame in almost every aspect.  I hate have common vampires, vampire's main attraction (besides that of sexual attraction) is their mysteriousness, their rarity, and not being 'the focus' as it were.  Because they are black's 'focus race' they're lame and boring...they might as well be elves...they aren't stylized like they used to be....that's the problem with having a race like goblins or elves in almost every block, they become so muddy and diffused as they need to somehow fit into each and every set, that they don't have an identity anymore (which, pun-illy, is why zombies are such a great race for black, they can be stretched to every set...because almost any environment can have undead in it), elves, vampires, and goblins don't always fit...

Okay, I'm nipping that rant off before I start hurting things...
I am a level 29 Necro-POSTER! "...And then the cheese came."

It has to be Minion Wolf, or it won't sound as cool.  Ok fine, Human Wolf Minion.

Tribes have a unique "single" type in common.  Unless Wizards makes a big mistake and makes a creature type "lycanthrope", werewolves will not be a tribe.  That is like calling Human Warrior as a single unique tribe.

@Krymsin Viking:  I think perhaps you over estimate the influence this little cultural blip will have on the folklore of tomorrow.  Truth is that it is almost impossible to judge the long term effects of a phenomenon when you are in the middle of it, and only the perspective of a lot of time will give you any indication of it's impact.  Neither you, nor I, can know if this will be part of the accepted mythos in another 20, 30, 50 years.  I, for one, would rather Wizards used it significant creative talent creating it's own story line rather than co-opting someone else's so obviously.

Tribes have a unique "single" type in common.  Unless Wizards makes a big mistake and makes a creature type "lycanthrope", werewolves will not be a tribe.  That is like calling Human Warrior as a single unique tribe.

@Krymsin Viking:  I think perhaps you over estimate the influence this little cultural blip will have on the folklore of tomorrow.  Truth is that it is almost impossible to judge the long term effects of a phenomenon when you are in the middle of it, and only the perspective of a lot of time will give you any indication of it's impact.  Neither you, nor I, can know if this will be part of the accepted mythos in another 20, 30, 50 years.  I, for one, would rather Wizards used it significant creative talent creating it's own story line rather than co-opting someone else's so obviously.

True, but consider the tribes of classes, such as soldiers wizards, etc. You would not have to have a werewolf tribal lord give a boost to "Human Wolves", but perhaps just to wolves. Or maybe we wouldn't even have to make that distinction; a "werewolf" would either be a human or a wolf depending on conditions.
  While I hate the current popcultural view of Vampires as I was raised on vampire stories back before Twilight or even Anne Rice's books took off, I can see the logic in making them Black's iconic tribe instead of zombies or skeletons. Magic seems to be heading in the direction of more recognizable quantities. We've seen Planeswalkers appear as multiple cards, and storylines returning to old planes (Mirrodin and potentially Ravnica). Vampires are more salient than nameless, faceless skeletons and don't stand out. It's the same reason Green was given Hydras instead of focusing on the "beast" creature type. Myself I'd prefer keeping skeletons and beasts as black and green's icons, it does make sense.

Now if they just made either Myr or Scarecrow the icon for artifacts I'd be happy.
Sign In to post comments