Pulling an ally (with a grab)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I posted this on Enworld and am hoping someone at Wizards will answer this question.

1. If a PC grabs an ally who is willing, is this a standard action?

2. If a PC grabs an ally, then pulls that ally back, does the ally provoke opportunity attacks?

My answer to #1 is no. If you can grab a door handle as a minor action, then you can grab an ally if it is a willing target. They may even simply hold out their hand for you to grab them.

My answer to #2 is yes, the ally would provoke opportunity attacks. The reason is, this is not 'forced' movement if the ally is willing. Not only does this make sense as written, but it makes sense as intended. As written, the basic definition of the word 'Forced' means unwilling. Also, I believe the rules intended no AtOps on *enemies* that are *forced* around the battlefield so as to prevent players from exploiting forced movment. I do not believe it was intended to allow players to pull each other around the battlefield to avoid AtOps.
In order to forcibly move a willing ally, you have two options:

1. Treat him as a creature - use the Grab action (Standard) to take hold, and the Move a Grabbed Target action (Standard) to move him.

2. Treat him as an object - use the Pick Up action (Minor) to take hold, and then just move normally (Move).  Encumbrance may come into play depending on the strength of the character doing the picking up and carrying.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

I'd say that you should follow all of the normal rules for grabbing a creature, including it being a standard action to grab. Anything more than that is a house rule, and it is a house rule that gets pretty questionable. Moving your allies around with you is just to good to let it be done any easier than it already can be.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Yes.  Note that grabbing someone in and of itself is a standard action and requires a STR vs Refx attack roll to succeed.  Also note that moving the grabbed someone is another standard action that requires a a STR vs Fort check, which only automatically succeeds if the ally is helpless.  

You can ask your DM if you can ignore the initial STR vs Refx roll and/or the follow up STR vs Fort roll, and if you can roll the entire grab and move into one action but be aware that doing that is a house rule.

2. If a PC grabs an ally, then pulls that ally back, does the ally provoke opportunity attacks?

Yes.  RCp244 "... the movement otherwise provokes opportunity attacks as normal."  The only one not subject to an OA is the grabber, from the grabbee.

Edit: No.  The ally is being Pulled, a kind of forced movement, so there are no OAs to the ally.  (Thanks Plaguescarred  

As Tichrimo points out, there are different rules for objects.  Technically the ally would only be considered to be an object if he were dead.  Again, ask your DM       

Yes, I should point out that we typically only allow "move as object" when a PC is unconscious, dead, or otherwise helpless.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

#1 As the rules, it takes a standard action to grab.  You may of course houserule it otherwise for willing targets if you desire. 

#2 No, at least for the target being grabbed.  From the Compendium.

MOVE A GRABBED TARGET: STANDARD ACTION

Strength Attack: Make a Strength attack vs. Fortitude. Do not add any weapon modifiers.
Hit: Move up to half your speed and pull the grabbed target with you.

Opportunity Attacks: If you pull the target, you and the target do not provoke opportunity attacks from each other, and the target doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks from adjacent enemies. However, if you leave a square adjacent to an enemy, that enemy can make an opportunity attack against you.
And here's a rationale for why your ally can't just LET you hit them with the grab:

They are in the middle of a fight and can't let their defenses down for you without also leaving themselves open to all enemies too. They have to keep ducking/weaving/dodging/deflecting. While the game may play out turn based, narative-wise everything that happens in a round is happening in the same 6 second period.

If you want to houserule a way to voluntarily make yourself easier to hit, it would have to be a choice you make at the start of your turn and it apply to ALL attacks against you until the start of your next turn in order to be balanced.

Yes, its a Standard action to Grab wether the target is an ally or an enemy.

No. Someone being Pulled, Grabbed or not, never Provoke OA since its a Forced Movement.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter