Would you buy D&D phone (or downloadable) games?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Curious- would people buy iPhone or other phone games put out by Wizards?

What setting would you like to see a game for?  Would it matter so long as it was D&D?

What if the game was higher production than a phone game, but not as major as a $50+ title?
I'll pretty much spend money on any and all things D&D related EXCEPT for anything Ebberon.

I just can't get into it. It was that Ebberon setting that killed that MMO they had for me.  
Not I. I am a D&D fan. And for me, D&D is a bunch of friends sitting around a table (maybe even virtual) roleplaying in a shared game. MMOs have never clicked for me, and that is the closest I would consider coming to a "D&D game" that wasn't actually D&D.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Nope, not a gadget guy.  When I leave the house, I want to leave the internet there. 

What setting would you like to see a game for?  Would it matter so long as it was D&D?

Any setting other than Eberron or Forgotten Realms. 

What if the game was higher production than a phone game, but not as major as a $50+ title?

Absolutely.  I'd pay $50 for a 4E Icewind Dale (just not set in the Realms.  How about Fallcrest??).  I'd pay $90 for a full 4E NWN clone (just not set in the Realms.  How about Fallcrest?) with the same single player quality and the full DM toolkit and the same multiplayer godliness that NWN had.  Give me a random dungeon generator adventure and access to online downloadable adventures, and I'd probably play it for the next 200 years ;)

Compendium App with no subscription? Yes
Character builder App with no subscription? Yes
Icewindale-esque RPG? Yes
Random dungeon generator (With an auto monster/treasure populate)? Yes
Even a diablo 2 style DND skin game? Probably.

Limits on those are like 5$. Note for IWD and D2, I would consider a direct port worth the money.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

I think I'm allergic to all non-desktop computer technology. I've had the same phone for 5 years and all I do with it is make phone calls and play brick attack. So no phone stuff for me.
I would like a tablet for my character sheet.
Well, I checked out Daggerdale on the 360 and I'm glad there was a demo so I knew better than to buy it.

I would consider other games on XBox Live, but Daggerdale just didn't measure up for me.

Gamma World, anyone?  Hopefully it will be out on 360 sometime this year.

Also, we'll see a new D&D game for Facebook this fall. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

If it was a strictly turn based game, with the option for a decent sized party - I might.  But if it is yet another click fest action game - naah - I'll wait for Diablo3
Sign In to post comments