A Detektor Blip: Cateran Hideout

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cateran Hideout
Tribal Land - Mercenary [MRC- C]
Cateran Hideout enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.

Cateran is such a cool term. I didn't realize it was an actual word until a few days ago.
if mercenaries didn't suck so bad I'd call this overpowered. but they do so it's cool.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
This is me trying to make them suck less.

Anyways, first-ever three-card land cycle. 
This is me trying to make them suck less.

exactly.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
I thought Cateran was a place.
Oh, I get it. Hire!
You have to be insanely careful with this sort of thing, please don't make it horribly broken by accident.
I thought Cateran was a place.

No, it's the name of the guild's founder. They're like the Pinkertons, except... well, they're like the Pinkertons.
Seems like you could just throw four of these and four Cateran Persuaders in a random black/red (or even mono-black) deck and bam, black mana ramp. Really good black mana ramp, too. (Compare Frontier Guide.)
blah blah metal lyrics
But if you do that then you still have to play a **** double black 2/1...
Official Rules Advisor

How is it a bad card if you're doing something actually really good with it?

How is it a bad card if you're doing something actually really good with it?

It's only good WHEN you use its ability, which is capped to 4 times assuming you never draw one of these lands. If, for whatever reason, you can't tutor for that land then you've got a really bad 2/1 for 2.

It makes Cateran Persuader better, but not exactly good enough. It's kind of like what Stoneforge Mystic does, except the cards it tutors are worse, it doesn't tutor them the turn it's played, has a stricter mana cost and no awesome second ability.
Official Rules Advisor
Stoneforge Mystic is banned in Standard. Attempt no comparisons there.

And a 2/1 for two isn't 'useless' by any stretch of the imagination. Saying that it sucks when you can't tutor the lands 'for whatever reason' is like saying Zombify sucks when you can't get creature cards in your graveyard 'for whatever reason'. It's true, but...
It's supposed to be a key enabler for Mercenary decks anyways, so unless it's bannably good (and I highly doubt it), I'm fine with it being a Tier 1 common. 

And a 2/1 for two isn't 'useless' by any stretch of the imagination. Saying that it sucks when you can't tutor the lands 'for whatever reason' is like saying Zombify sucks when you can't get creature cards in your graveyard 'for whatever reason'. It's true, but...

Stoneforge is banned in standard because of Caw-Blade, a deck that dominated only in the limited card pool of standard. Caw blade isn't even a deck in the formats where mercenary is a thing, so the comparison is valid.

The fact that it would only search 4 times max, then only if you didn't draw any (statistically unlikely, btw), and you would still be missing out on the chance to tutor for a guy (something I imagine mercenary tribal likes to do) means I think it's a bad combo.
Official Rules Advisor
Stoneforge Mystic is also really strong in Legacy.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Yeah, what kind of **** black deck wants to play a two-mana 2/1 that doesn't do anything until you untap?

The fact that it would only search 4 times max, then only if you didn't draw any (statistically unlikely, btw), and you would still be missing out on the chance to tutor for a guy (something I imagine mercenary tribal likes to do) means I think it's a bad combo.

I didn't say anything about mercenary tribal. You play it in MBC. Four Persuaders, four of this, and maybe singletons of any useful one-drop mercenaries in Detektor's set.
blah blah metal lyrics
I don't think this would be even close to banworthy.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.

Stoneforge is banned in standard because of Caw-Blade, a deck that dominated only in the limited card pool of standard. Caw blade isn't even a deck in the formats where mercenary is a thing, so the comparison is valid.

Did you read the article why it was banned?

Aaron compared it to tinker
"the problem was it to circum-something whatever around mana cost."

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
As for the the land itself, it's not bannable quality. But it will be comparable to Artifact lands. Artifact lands have a little more applications in terms of "Versatility", they fit in a SLIGHTLY wider range of decks. but This land essentailly shares the same philosophy. (they probably kill a tiny bit of future design space like as to affinity for artifacts)

If my memory serves me right, I remember there was an article explaining why they don't print tribal lands. And Artifact lands was mentioned in that article; it was used as a failed design example. 

I can't produce the link to that doc tho. X (

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
As for the the land itself, it's not bannable quality. But it will be comparable to Artifact lands. Artifact lands have a little more applications in terms of "Versatility", they fit in a SLIGHTLY wider range of decks. but This land essentailly shares the same philosophy. (they probably kill a tiny bit of future design space like as to affinity for artifacts)

If my memory serves me right, I remember there was an article explaining why they don't print tribal lands. And Artifact lands was mentioned in that article; it was used as a failed design example. 

I can't produce the link to that doc tho. X (

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...
IMAGE(http://kherkeep.com/images/smilies/plowbeast.png)Why can't everyone see the inherent goodness in destruction? Or the evil in creation? A forest cannot live without the nutrients provided by the destructive force of a forest fire. And if I am wrong, then why is lifeblood of creation - water - the most destructive force on the planet? 701.4. Cast
He said that Mutavault needed an activation cost and the potential to die in order to get a creature type. Fair enough. But whereas artifact lands and certain tribal lands would power up certain effects just by dint of being on the battlefield, Mercenaries and Rebels have never (to my knowledge) have never counted themselves or provided any sort of bonus for having a lot of permanents with that subtype.
Yeah, but ", : Rampant Growth" is a pretty insane ability on a two-drop, especially in black.

The rebel land would actually be a lot more fair, I think.
blah blah metal lyrics