Punisher of the Gods Epic Destiny + Vorpal Weapon = 1 hit KO?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was going through the Epic Destinies and say this:

Bringer of Dooms (30th level): You deal maximum damage when you hit the
target of your immortal curse.

And I know the Vorpal weapon property says this:

Property: Whenever you roll the maximum result on any damage die for this
weapon, roll that die again and add the additional result to the damage total.
If a reroll results in another maximum damage result, roll it again and keep
adding.

*_*.........silly........just silly.........I think I have an idea for a npc for my party that likes to kill npcs.........  

Please if I missed something let me know but this is just......wow.....            
You don't actually roll any dice for damage with Bringer of Dooms. So the Vorpal property has no effect. IMO.
You don't actually roll any dice for damage with Bringer of Dooms. So the Vorpal property has no effect. IMO.

And even if the features interacted, Vorpal has no maximum, so the game freezes unable to determine a final damage value to move on.

And even if the features interacted, Vorpal has no maximum, so the game freezes unable to determine a final damage value to move on.

It is said that a Vorpal Blade used in such a manner, first beheads the target and then proceeds to behead the nearest creature (usually the wielder), and then the next one until all creatures in the multi-verse have been beheaded (including oozes, puddings and beholders: this is 4ed so the "beheaded" condition applies to all creatures, even those without any head). Only the intervention of the almighty DM can avoid this grim fate...

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

So, if they did interact, then its an "infinite damage loop".

And while you don't actually roll the die, it still acts like you did, only giving you max damage. Still, that is a liberal interpretation on the matter, but I don't think a sane DM would allow that combo, for PCs, to be interpreted that way.
Bringer of Inconveniences (30th level): You deal 2 damage when you hit the target of your immortal curse.

Would you consider this to interact with Vorpal?  I'm betting not.

Maximum is not a variable.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Could always just opt for the Brutal-3 Vorpal Whip, then you'd have reach, too.

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?

It is said that a Vorpal Blade used in such a manner, first beheads the target and then proceeds to behead the nearest creature (usually the wielder), and then the next one until all creatures in the multi-verse have been beheaded (including oozes, puddings and beholders: this is 4ed so the "beheaded" condition applies to all creatures, even those without any head). Only the intervention of the almighty DM can avoid this grim fate...

This is Charops. The DM can't do anything about it. :p
Pretty much everything you need to know about CharOps philosophy:
57974908 wrote:
70156763 wrote:
Either you don't realize there's a point between the two extremes (boring and optimized) or you consider everything that's not the former to be the latter.
Bingo, and anyone who knows anything about 4e knows that is exactly the state of the game right now.
@ Mandu, that particular feature seems to me to just be added damage on the side. Much like a bonus. So no, I wouldn't consider that one to work with Vorpal.

Maximum damage, to me, is referring to any damage die you roll.
"the attack deals maximum damage" is "the attack deals X damage" where X is the most you could do if you were to roll.  But no rolling is involved.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Or a gorget of protection. =)
Fair enough. But, IMO, it acts as though you did roll and made the maximum roll. Naturally the static bonuses (I.e +str mod, +5 cold damage, et all) are all added together and applied after the roll regardless. So you'd have to roll the max die value to do 'maximum damage' anyways.

But like I said, its a liberal interpretation.
Fair enough. But, IMO, it acts as though you did roll and made the maximum roll. Naturally the static bonuses (I.e +str mod, +5 cold damage, et all) are all added together and applied after the roll regardless. So you'd have to roll the max die value to do 'maximum damage' anyways. But like I said, its a liberal interpretation.

There are some game elements (though they may all apply only to d20 rolls, I'm not sure) that say to treat the result of a roll as a particular number.  If Bringer of Doom said to treat the damage roll as its maximum possible result, it'd work that way, but "deal maximum damage" neither involves rolling or treating things as if you'd rolled something.
I see. I guess it really comes down to how you interpet it. But by RAW only (and I think its safe to say for everybody here, by RAI), these two don't interact.
I beleive this would result in your DM saying "Divide by Zero Error" and then drop them into a coma.

Best to try it then
Lol. Yeah.
Sign In to post comments