No Third-Party Products for Gamma World

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
WotC's lawyers sent a cease and desist letter to David Flor for his (well-done) Fire in the Sky adventure that was for sale on DriveThru RPG.

My stuff isn't for sale, and I haven't gotten any C&D letters sent to me (as far as I know), so the sticking point could be charging for it.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Its great that he made content for Gamma World. People have been posting fanfare for it for years. I dont think I have ever seen it sold though. On the brighter side it is a good for him that he didn't recieve a fine or anything.

He should complete his stuff though and post it for free.... share the love :D

That being said Oraibi, can I reference some of your stuff in things I am making for gamma world? Of course I will reference you :D
Everything I heard about Fire From The Sky was most excellent, and I'm sorry to see that it can't be sold anymore. It's a shame when a company doesn't want to support their own game but also won't let others support it either. Maybe they can work something out.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

This is very depressing.  The fact that Gamma World was getting 3rd party support meant that the game was alive and thriving.  This news is going to have a chilling effect on everyone creating GW material and is bad for the game and the community around it.  This reminds me of the bad old days of TSR's internet policy in the late nineties.
This is very depressing.  The fact that Gamma World was getting 3rd party support meant that the game was alive and thriving. 

Agreed. I think that a game needs to continue to grow if it's going to keep up fan support. A game with a very limited product line tends to become a one-shot kind of game instead of a long-term campaign. Some folks like to make their own adventures, but others prefer to run pre-made adventure modules written by professionals.

After all, many groups will have played through the two expansion sets by now and then what? Since there aren't new products to pursue, those fans may move on to another game entirly. Heck, some of those fans may have moved on already. There used to be a huge flurry of activity in this forum, but now if I go away for a week or so there generally isn't much to catch up on....

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

This is very depressing.  The fact that Gamma World was getting 3rd party support meant that the game was alive and thriving. 

Agreed. I think that a game needs to continue to grow if it's going to keep up fan support. A game with a very limited product line tends to become a one-shot kind of game instead of a long-term campaign. Some folks like to make their own adventures, but others prefer to run pre-made adventure modules written by professionals.

After all, many groups will have played through the two expansion sets by now and then what? Since there aren't new products to pursue, those fans may move on to another game entirly. Heck, some of those fans may have moved on already. There used to be a huge flurry of activity in this forum, but now if I go away for a week or so there generally isn't much to catch up on....

I recently got an account at 4shared.  Perhaps this weekend I will have time to upload some of my work in support of D&D Gamma World.  I will post a URL when it is available.

If anyone else has material that has that's been helpful in their games, it'd be cool to share it.

Viva Gamma!

/agree
Gamma World never dies. Post your homebrew!

DnD has had:
 1 D&D 1974
 2 Advanced D&D 1977
 3 D&D Re-edit in 1977 (basic set)
 4 AD&D 1987
 5 D&D 3rd ed 200
 6 D&D 3.5 2003
 7 D&D 4.0 ed 2007

Where Gamma world had:
 0 Metamophosis Alpha 1976 (which has 4 editions of its own)
 1 First Ed 1978
 2 Second Ed 1983
 3 Third Ed 1985
 4 Forth Ed 1992
 5 Fifth Ed 2000
 6 Omega World 2002
 7 Sixth Ed 2003
 8 Seventh 2010

Gamma World has been updated more times then D&D though they were not all by Wizards.

You've got a good point, but you've forgotten some of the editions of D&D.

OD&D (1974) ---> Splits into Classic D&D and AD&D

AD&D:  AD&D -->  2E --> 3E --> 3.5 --> 4E --> Essentials

Classic: Holmes Basic D&D --> Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert D&D --> Mentzer BECMI D&D --> Rules Cyclopedia D&D --> "Classic D&D" (first a black book edition, then another edition with miniatures)

So we have 1 edition of OD&D, maybe 6 editions of AD&D (depending on how you count 3.5 and esentials),  and maybe 6 editions of Classic D&D. That's 13 versions of one form or another. Gamma World does have 8 editions, and MA has 4 (if you want to group 'em together) with a 5th on its way. GW is only close if you add in MA. On the other hand, D&D (in all of its forms) totally blows GW/MA out of the water in terms of non-rulebook support. How many D&D modules are there? How many settings?

GW/MA have always suffered from lack of respect, and I believe that it comes down to a lack of support. What we need is a decent campaign setting for GW with a good map and 6-10 modules that detail key locations, etc. That would help make GW more respected!

Anyway, you make a good point. I'm just picking a few nits along the way. Wink

Ya caught me. I was trying to list the basic ones... wasn't even going to name the different flavors of D&D either...

Just trying to cheer them up :D
This is very depressing.  The fact that Gamma World was getting 3rd party support meant that the game was alive and thriving.  This news is going to have a chilling effect on everyone creating GW material and is bad for the game and the community around it.  This reminds me of the bad old days of TSR's internet policy in the late nineties.

GW fan support has been on-going since the 1st ed of Gamma World. A number of us still have web sites up with information, items, and stories. GW will always in the end be supported by fans. Based on GW forums, it was agreed that the 4ed of GW would be short lived and ill supported by vendor as it always has been from go ;)
"This is very depressing.  The fact that Gamma World was getting 3rd party support meant that the game was alive and thriving.  This news is going to have a chilling effect on everyone creating GW material and is bad for the game and the community around it"

Not really. So far I don't believe WotC has prevented people from creating and distributing GW material free of charge nor has there been any problem when people direct us to non GW products for sale that can be used in GW. The problem is selling GW products not licensed or given permission by WotC. I do believe that's the standard business practice.

I look at this differently. You cannot use GSL to make Gamma World content but people have made 4E D&D content without GSL. Nothing says 3rd Party content for GW can't do the same. Fire From the Sky could be compatible with popular post-appocalyptic game. Granted the author of Fire From the Sky can't do this because he wants to use GSL for D&D content. If he pissed off WotC the GSL allows them to say you can't selll anything using it anymore.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Wow. They actually allowing pre-orders. Maybe they will ship it. The product has been in development for so long that I'd given up hope.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries